VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Official MK6 GTI Exhaust Thread

182K views 1K replies 137 participants last post by  ctjetta2 
#1 · (Edited)
A popular question on this forum is which exhaust people should get for their GTI. For some people, the search function isn't available for them :)rolleyes:) or they (including myself) are just lazy. :laugh:

Anyways. Here is a list of different exhaust options for the GTI. Posted above the videos is the brand of exhaust. If one brand is shown, then that is the company's turbo-back exhaust.

PM me any videos that you would like me to add to this thread.
Also feel free to ask any questions regarding anything exhaust related here!

Turbo-Back Exhaust

Stock Turboback exhaust

RAI Catless Downpipe to GHL Catback

Eurojet Gen 2 Turboback

Eurojet Catless Downpipe/Magnaflow Catback

Eurojet Catless Turboback

Billy Boat TBE

BB W/Magnaflow (K03)

BB Downpipe W/Magnaflow (K04)

BB Downpipe/APR Cat-Back

BB Downpipe/GHL Cat-Back

AWE

Another AWE video

APR

The famous APR comparison video

APR + WOT Box = :D

APR Turboback

Ultimate Racing

Ultimate Racing Downpipe (With Cat & Resonator) with Borla Catback

Ultimate Racing TBE w/3 resonators.

Milltek 3" Resonated Turbo Back (K04)

Milltek 3" Non-Resonated Turbo Back (K04)

Full Decat Milltek

3" Milltek catless turboback

MBS(?) Not sure about brand but it sounds good.

RAI

Edel01, DTH-Turbo, ASG(looks like downpipe only), & Bull-X

GHL

42DD Downpipe/Akrapovic Cat-Back

USP Catless Downpipe w/ Magnaflow Cat-Back

USP Catless Downpipe w/ Magnaflow Cat-Back

USP Catless Downpipe w/Magnaflow Cat-Back (DYNO PULL)

Ragazzon

XBM Exhaust

42DD Catless/Nonresonated Turbo back

42DD Catted/Resonated Turbo Back

GHL Catted Downpipe/Magnaflow Catback

Downpipe Only

APR Downpipe only (K04)

Milltek Downpipe only

3 inch catless Ebay downpipe

Billy Boat Downpipe

Old Eurojet Downpipe

42DD Catless Downpipe

Catback Only

GHL Catback

Comparison between stock exhaust and Magnaflow Catback.

Borla Catback

Supersprint Catback

Milltek Non-Resonated Catback

Milltek Race Catback

Vanguard Cat Back

42DD Catback (w/ Carbonio Intake)

Other Setups

Resonator Delete

42DD catless downpipe w/suitcase delete

As quoted by Pineapplegti ! "42dd dp with super duper invisible cat.. Custom magnaflow single tip 3inch axle back" :laugh:

Golf 2.5L Exhaust Systems

AWE Catback

Eurojet w/ resonator delete

Ultimate Racing catback w/GTI rear valence..

See less See more
#687 ·
Just got 42dd turbo back. Sounds great!! Will post video when I get a chance. The sound is amazing. Very very deep. Not tinny at all. Might contribute this to it not being stainless steel. It's also much louder then I thought it would be. Comparable to Ghl I would say. Also, my tips are slightly off as well. Going to take it in next week so they can straighten them up. Very pleased with it!! Under $1000 for tb with cat and resonator. Not a bad deal!!

#694 ·
I like it. Loud when you want it to be, barely notice its there when just cruising. Only thing that sucks is the wait when ordering it. Putting the CBE on last week is making me want to go stg2 now :D

And AWE's new tips look sooo much better than their old ones. Pretty much the same as APR's from what I've seen.

#709 ·
Need some help picking a down pipe. Im prob goin to get a magnaflow cat-back. brand of down pipe doesnt make much of a difference to me, every video states if it is catless or not, but most of them dont say if it was resonated or not? debating to do either go catless /w RES, or non-res/w cat, OR both cat and res. i know catless is cheeper but i dont want a raspy sound... I want a good amount louder then stock but i dont want a headace when i get out of the car.

If anyone has some positive or negative feedback, or some sugestions of which way to go. Thanks

PS if i tune it (APR) check engine light will go away without cat right?

#741 ·
I actually changed my mind, selling the TBE now :(

This.
Install is super easy with the v band design...just slip into place and tighten the clamp.....We did a full install in the shop on the floor with only hand tools to give a accurate install time to customers and it only took us 1 hr 45 mins from start to finish including removing the old system.

#744 ·
Install is super easy with the v band design...just slip into place and tighten the clamp.....We did a full install in the shop on the floor with only hand tools to give a accurate install time to customers and it only took us 1 hr 45 mins from start to finish including removing the old system.
Right, but you guys are pros. When I tried to install my Magnaflow CBE, my issue wasn't with getting the MF on, it was with getting the OEM CBE off. It was cold and maybe the rubber hangers were stiff but there were 2 hangers I could not get dismounted to save my life. Maybe I just have weak girly hands :D

Originally wanted DP only so I got in on a group buy for TBE with plans to sell the CBE separately. I didn't realize I'd have to buy reducers to split it up, or factor that into the cost of the CBE I would have sold. When I take that into account, the EJ DP is more than what I wanted to spend, along with more hassle with the different parts I'd need and have to sell. :(

you mean there's not enough space to work using jackstands? don't have my own lift so curious to hear what people have done.
It can be done with jack stands, but it seems to be a pain. I got a quote from a local VAG tuner shop to install the TBE for $100, well worth the time/frustration/effort for me

#746 ·
installed my cat-back on the floor w/ jack stands, hardest part was cutting the existing dp to make the new exhaust not stick way to far out the back, other wise easy install, just use some wd-40 on the hangers and they will slip on and off

#764 ·
The eurojet sounds very nice!

I'm torn... maybe you guys can help. I am running a UR downpipe (cat + res) and im looking to add a catback.

Magnaflow vs eurojet.

Magnaflow - deeper note
Eurojet - more "European note"

Both seem to be quality peices but there is a $200 - $250 price difference

Will the EJ catback be much quieter with my dp since the resonator is larger than what comes on the EJ downpipe?

Thanks guys.

#766 ·
The eurojet sounds very nice!

I'm torn... maybe you guys can help. I am running a UR downpipe (cat + res) and im looking to add a catback.

Magnaflow vs eurojet.

Magnaflow - deeper note
Eurojet - more "European note"

Both seem to be quality peices but there is a $200 - $250 price difference

Will the EJ catback be much quieter with my dp since the resonator is larger than what comes on the EJ downpipe?

Thanks guys.
Probably a little quieter. And the EJ isn't terribly loud unless you're on it. Just cruising (especially with the soundaktor delete) its actually pretty quiet.

#765 ·
Kind of pissed. Got my DP installed today and found out that it doesn't have the metal "things" that fit into the rubber hangers. It appears that this is not a one off error by the manufacturer. I do not like the idea of having the weight of everything in front of the CBE being supported by the turbo and flex pipe. Thoughts?

Not my pic but the red box is around what my DP does not have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.