VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Transmission Guys Help! 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Lots of Codes

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  VTGolfIII 
#1 ·
Father in law has a 01 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 4.0l, and the auto trans. Throwing tons of codes and it shifts like crap.

Codes:

P0711 - Transmission Temp Sensor
P0713 - Trans Temp Sens Voltage too High
P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch No RPM Drop at Lockout
P1494 - Leak Detection Pump Switch or Mechanical Fault
P1756 - Governor Pressure Not Equal to Target PSI
P1762 - Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Voltage too Low or High

The transmission will wait to shift into 2nd until after 4k RPM and will have less than desirable shifting through the rest of the gears. 99% of the time it will not downshift when flooring it or slowing down. The car actually stalled at one point when coming to a stop.

Manual selection of the gears only works 15% of the time

Eventually it will correct itself (somewhat) after 20 or so mins of drive time, but as soon as the vehicle is turned off and back on, it goes right back to 1st issue.

I have googled this relentlessly and I can only come up with instances of people having maybe 1 or 2 of these codes, but not all of them at the same time.

I was almost certain this was a $20 output shaft sensor, but it was not throwing the P0720 code that is related to that sensor.

I would take it to a shop and just have them tell me whats wrong with it, but most likely they will just say i need a complete rebuild and not bother actually diagnosing the problem.

Any help will be much appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hory Crap! All those symptoms and you expect TCL to provide a solution?

You overestimate our chances.

:p

(They may have a point if you invest too many man hours in finding the root cause)

I know it's a long shot, but this particular auto trans in Jeeps seems to be crap (based on issues found with others while googling). I'm posting to as many of the boards as I can find as a "shotgun" approach to getting a solution. I honestly can not remember the last time I had to take a car into the shop because I could not fix the issue, but I hate automatic transmissions.

#4 ·
The transmissions are crap...even the one in my 98 is not much better as far as that's concerned. the P1494 you can throw out, that's emissions...the P1756 and P1762 hint towards either the pressure solenoid or the front pump in the trans just not doing it's job.

With your description of what it's doing, I would most likely either rebuild or replace. By the time you had someone chase down the various codes and sources of the issues...it's would have been cheaper to replace/rebuild it.

Even if you do it yourself and save a few bucks...it could very well be a lot of wasted time, and very frustrating. Depending on who you use, a lot of salvage yards offer low mileage/price trans that come with warranties as well. Good luck!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.