VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

ILX sales are below Acura projections

51K views 288 replies 97 participants last post by  Ross1013 
#1 ·
Before market launch, Acura announced projected sales of 40,000 ILX models per year.

http://acuraconnected.com/tag/acura-sales-2012/

535 year-to-date sales of the ILX hybrid.

ILX sales since release:

• June - 1081 units
  • July - 1410 units
  • August - 1733 units
  • September - 1737 units

TSX sales since ILX release:

• June - 2602 units
  • July - 1980 units
  • August - 2103 units
  • September - 1681 units

See less See more
#6 ·
FV-QR

whats the MSRP for the ILX?

#8 ·

Car developed for the mythical focus-group derived "middle-aged, solid earner but somewhat frugal, Just-for-Men-using guy who aspires to a wine tasting trip to Napa sometime before his 70th birthday".

This has always been Acura's problem, in spite of the fact that they occasionally find buyers outside this mould no matter how hard they try to thwart them. 1994-1999 was an exception where there was a glimmer of hope they'd break through to sanity, but it obviously never materialized.

Hence, the frustrating slow rot of the brand. Fundamentally decent engineering, but no cognisance at all for any buyer outside the Just-for-Men guy.

#15 ·
Door panels felt flimsy, the ones on a TSX are far more 'solid.'

Also, the 6spd 2.4 version cannot be opted with tech package (no NAV).. pretty stupid if you ask me.
The leather on it is very hard and cheap looking as well. I think they should have lowered the price a bit and made the sport fabric standard (the cloth TSX seats are made with very nice materials)

#16 ·
Actually, I've seen quite a few around here. Initially I thought ,"who the hell would want to buy a tarted up civic for $30K?!?!?!?!" While, that's still a legitimate question, I can see the appeal. In person, it doesn't really look like a civic. The sheet metal is quite different. IMO, looks rather handsome. The ILX interior looks way better than the civic's too.

vs.

vs.

There really isn't another compact entry level luxury car. Are they going to sell 40K? no, but I wouldn't be surprised if their marketing dept pushed a little harder and dropped the price a little bit, they might attract a few more buyers. But, unfortunately for Acura, at $30K, consumers can get a lot more car in a camry/altima/accord/sonata, esp since most consumers could care less about having a more dynamic driving experience.

#26 · (Edited)
There really isn't another compact entry level luxury car..
Sure there is - the Verano, A3, 1-series, and Ct200h, as well as the upcoming A-class MB derivatives, A3 sedan, and rumored small Hyundai Genesis-branded sedan. Honestly, I'd throw the GLI into that mix too, along with the the Focus Titanium and ST trim levels.

It also competes on price and features with larger cars, but it's definitely got competition its own size and spec.

#17 ·
Why am I not surprised? At all :rolleyes:

I want to see this thing fail. And then I want a proper Acura available, at a decent price. Ive only ever seen one on the roads, and all the reviews have been lackluster, at best.

#19 ·
FV-QR

starting price is around $25,900.00 not bad at all

#23 ·
I was interested for a hot minute but the 2.4 is only offered with base equipment. On top of that I didn't find the 2012 Si sedan I drove to be that entertaining. Oh and like mentioned in another post about the car, it pains me Acura puts a base model looking hidden tailpipe on the performance model of the car.

I have only seen two since the car was released.

No thanks

#27 ·
Hmmm what's the ILX got going in its favor?
Not too long ago my bro test drove a ILX, wasn't impressed at all with it and purchased a new Aston Martin......I meam Fusion. :laugh: It's too bad that even though Acura launched the Japanese luxury theme, that after all these years its name plate alone doesn't have enough clout to it to deter a shopper from walking away from it to purchase a Ford

#30 ·
I have test driven a lot of cars this summer.

The ILX was not among my favorites. It was outclassed in interior room, sightlines, equipment levels, refinement, driving enjoyment, comfort and space by a Mazda3. Which was one of the best new cars I test drove (I tested a 2010 with 70k kms too and it was just as solid and tight).

You cannot hide the Civic roots, when you push the car that's all it feels like. My buddy recently bought a 2010 Civic Si sedan - and that car just felt so much better. You knew what its mission was - to provide inexpensive, solid, reliable, high-revving fun! And it does that. It's an excellent car, because it has a real mission. The ILX is a combination of the Si and a luxury model. It doesn't work. Even the 2.4L 6-spd version doesn't work... it has the worst manual transmission and clutch I've ever used on a Honda. Every Honda manual has been slick, smooth, fast, and damn enjoyable. This thing rev-hung, the clutch felt weird, the shifter was notchy, the engine over-reved too easy when taking off. Terrible. The automatic version felt slow. The handling at the limit on both felt wonky... It just all of a sudden feels unstable.

The high end ELS stereo is clear, but there is not much bass... for a 360W system with a sub it's very weak. I was highly disappointed... it also has bluetooth from 2-3 years ago. The whole multimedia interface seems like it was designed about 10 years ago then updated with a patch recently... It just seems really outdated.

#98 · (Edited)
I forgive you, but I can understand why you are confused. You probably didn't know about the generations before the ILX to truly grasp what the ILX is.

The EL, CSX, and ILX are just a tarted up Civic targeted for people older than 25.

Acura EL

(Civic Based)

Acura CSX

(Civic Based)

Acura ILX

(Civic Based)

#35 ·
If the MSRP for the ILX (god, what a stupid, meaningless alphanumeric name) is $25,900 and a loaded Civic is $23,xxx and they ILX features things like more sound dampening, improved interior, etc....then the ILX is basically what the Civic should be if Honda was serious about leading in that market segment again.

In other words, Honda did not make the Civic as good as they knew how to. Which, coming from Honda, is depressing. When I purchase a brand new car, I like to think to think that the car is as good as that company possibly could have made it and still turned a profit. Otherwise, you've got this weird thing going on like Porsche does with the Cayman. It should be better than a 911, but they've held it back artificially.

And it seems to me that the Civic could have been good enough to render the ILX pointless, but Honda let cynicism win the day.

#36 ·
Have driven all three ILX's. 2 are very, very boring, 1 is amazing. The 2.4 6 speed, Pretty much an SI that doesnt look like robot poo. Only badging is the hybrid, so 2.4's look like 2.0's. Making me like it even more, kinda of a sleeper, with the hidden exhaust and no nav too. mmm.

#40 ·
Yeah maybe I'm in the minority but the ILX 6-speed looks appealing to me. Maybe because I'm no longer exactly young, maybe because I really enjoy my 6-speed Miata but sometimes wish I had a regular sedan. I priced one out on their website and it came to $31,000 which is 3 times what I paid for my Miata but maybe in 5 years we'll see some good deals on the ILX? OK, probably not considering they are hardly selling any of them, which means the 6-speed models will command a premium in the used market. Oh well. I agree with your thoughts though, that it appears you get all the performance of the Civic Si but without the styling of a steal-me-now Civic Si. It's just too bad it costs so much more than the Si.

#39 ·
For what it is, it's a good car.

But it's not been marketed very well, nor do their target audience nowadays really care about more than MPG and price. $25.9k isn't a bad start for a car with those features but when most of those "features" aren't really a concern of the casual buyer, then there's the problem with sales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.