VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My take on stance and the b5's that inspire it..

287K views 602 replies 103 participants last post by  -teknien- 
#1 ·
Before we get started i hope that you guys dont mind me whoring your cars...im just a tad bit bored and wanted to post something for everyone to look at dosent matter if ur rockin Rs's or some OEM wheels w.e your style is theyre should be something here for you and im encouraging more ppl to post theyre versions on stance..but plz dont post your stock ride height cars:rolleyes: i dont want to be a dick but its not stance..now that that is out of the way to the good stuff.. i borrowed this from Stance Works.. enjoy at my own expense

Variables:

Gap — A measure of distance between wheel lip or tire to fender. Although weighted differently than low, the lack of fender gap creates an aggressive look and the feeling of danger due to the potential for damage (see Damage further down). {G1} refers to gap between the front wheel/tire and front fender. {G2} refers to gap between the rear wheel/tire and rear fender. {G1}{G2}

Wheelbase — The distance between the wheels of the automobile in question. {Wb}

Muffler — How much space there is between the ground and muffler can. Busted mufflers that dangle and move need not apply. {M}

Oilpan — Common place where low is measured. Usually at the front of an automobile, this Low measurement marks the begining of the Low Function. {Op}

Rake — The slope (rise over run) of the bottom of the automobile were Low is measured.

Exhaust — Another common place where low is measured. Exhaust usually extends back from Oilpan and is measured in inches. {E}

Low — The measurment of clearance from any portion of the automobile to the surface on which it rolls. Of course Stance is not acheiveable without low. In all forms of Stance, low is a requirement. Low can be expressed as a function of previously defined variables.

Wheel — A rolling appartus that the tire mounts to, providing increased style and personality to the automobile in question. Wheels can create Stance in one of many ways. Customization, rarity, size, uniqueness, marque mismatch. {w}

Poke — The extension of the wheel lip even with, or past the fender line. Poke can be achieved with spacers or, in the case of modular wheels, wider outers. Poke can be excessive, depending on other variable measurments poke can detract from Stance. {P}

Stretch — The use of a tire that is more narrow than the wheel. In order to mount these tires one must “stretch” them beyond their normal design constraints. {Sr}

Damage — The lack of damage is not a penalty when talking about Stance, but damage as a direct result of Stance is seen as a form of Stance in itself. Like the enherinet hangover associated with drinking too much, damage seems to be an acceptable side effect of Stance. Like a hangover, damage hurts at first, but is then worn as a badge of honor. Fender damage from the effects of Gap, or mechanical failure of oilpans as a function of Low, and damage in the vain of Style are all acceptable forms of damage. {D}

Tuck — When Gap becomes a negative number. Used only in reference to wheel lip. {T}

Style — The most subjective of all variables. Style refers to the ability of the automobile owner to create Stance through the use of unique materials, vision, and unique combinations. Style could be best described as the artform of Stance. {Sy}

Visual Aids for Variables:

Damage:

Gap:

Wheel:

Tuck/Low:

Stretch:

Poke:

Constants:

Daylight — The presence of photons (in a wave or particle form) emitted from the sun. {Dl}

Relations:

Working on relating all the variables to eachother is essentially the process of Stance. Some relations have already been defined through the explanation of the variables. Rules per say. Taking all these variables and making an overlying Stance equation is a daunting task. Taking the variables and defining which of them are multipliers, which can or can not be present in the event of the other’s existance, and making sure that weights are adequitely placed on those which make the largest Stance impact all become an excersize. As a student of Stance I have scoured the internet looking for the most prevalent, prolific, and popular examples of Stance. Using these examples the Stance equation / formula was born.

See less See more
#8 ·
aledelic..then lets see ur take on it clearly it says MY take ...all these smart ass comments belong in the mk4 forum..mihai i just saw a couple quick pics post your car it dosent have to be low offset wheels with air ride :)i just wana see some dope b5's basiclly

#21 ·
point takin i was just putting all that shyt ther for the ppl that wer like thats NOT STANCE! so we can all read that and no what is ..ya i no theyre not stance friendly pics but i love those cars and how they sit..i guess thats a better word to use then stance but keep it goin:thumbup:

#30 ·
i was never really a fan of ARI's s4, i mean, dont get me wrong, its done in a gorgeous way and everything looks very proper, i think its the wheels and the stance that get me. for having pulled fenders it looks like it should go lower to tuck over that tire. and as for the wheels, i dont like the lips. theyre what, 17" faces on 18" lips?? theyre too tall of a lip for me. collin's RSs look a million times better imo

dubmd's s4 is dope as sh:heart:t

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.