VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

New Key Programming

162K views 85 replies 66 participants last post by  micalk 
#1 ·
Anyone know how I can program my own new key transmitter?
THanks

#4 ·
Re: New Key Programming (got_boost)

quote:[HR][/HR]if your talking about the chip inside the key,you need to use either the vagcom software or visit a dealer

if its the remote for the alarm,that you can do by yourself.[HR][/HR]​
Yes, what he said. If you search, you will find instructions on how to reprogram the remote functions of a key but you will not be able to drive the car with it until ALL of your keys have been reprogrammed by a VAG COM.

#5 ·
Re: New Key Programming (ze)

I would be interested in finding out how to program the remote. Is the chip in the actual key blade or in the remote itself. If its in the blade, I can switch the blade from my old key and program the new remote myself right?
How do I program the remote myself?

#7 ·
Re: New Key Programming (jcapriotti)

quote:[HR][/HR]I would be interested in finding out how to program the remote. Is the chip in the actual key blade or in the remote itself. If its in the blade, I can switch the blade from my old key and program the new remote myself right?
[HR][/HR]​
The chip is in the remote part of your key, not the blade.
To program the remote functions on a new key, get in your car with the car off and the driver side window rolled down.
insert the new key into the ignition
insert your vallet key in the driver side door lock (outside the car)
turn the vallet key towards lock and hold it there
while it is held towards lock, press the unlock button on your new remote for
2 seconds.
let go
press it again for 2 seconds
let go and you should hear an alarm honk or something like that.
This is from memory so it may not be right. I would recommend searching archives. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#68 ·
quote:[HR][/HR]I would be interested in finding out how to program the remote. Is the chip in the actual key blade or in the remote itself. If its in the blade, I can switch the blade from my old key and program the new remote myself right?
[HR][/HR]​
The chip is in the remote part of your key, not the blade.
To program the remote functions on a new key, get in your car with the car off and the driver side window rolled down.
insert the new key into the ignition
insert your vallet key in the driver side door lock (outside the car)
turn the vallet key towards lock and hold it there
while it is held towards lock, press the unlock button on your new remote for
2 seconds.
let go
press it again for 2 seconds
let go and you should hear an alarm honk or something like that.
This is from memory so it may not be right. I would recommend searching archives. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
the key is actually in the blade section of it

#10 ·
Re: New Key Programming (unclubbedvdub)

will this trick work on all MKIV keys? I have the old style key (and the key chain clips broke) I have been thinking about getting used ones off e-bay. Will they work or do I need to buy the same style key? Could I use an audi key on my car also? And just so I get it straight, after I do this the new key will work like my old one (auto lock doors, trunk, alarm)?

#13 ·
Re: New Key Programming (osiris_amg)

quote:[HR][/HR]will this trick work on all MKIV keys? I have the old style key (and the key chain clips broke) I have been thinking about getting used ones off e-bay. Will they work or do I need to buy the same style key? Could I use an audi key on my car also? And just so I get it straight, after I do this the new key will work like my old one (auto lock doors, trunk, alarm)?
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, i got the older key style and bought a new remote section for like 20 bucks and programmed it myself. Also did it for my mom b/c i put her remote through the washer

Im not sure if the new VW remotes will fit on the old key section...
and yes, after you re-program the remote all the functions should work.

#14 ·
Re: New Key Programming (retrospect)

so your telling me i can make my keys work for any car on the lots....i.e., if I go to a VW dealership somewhere else, I can program my key to open their doors and their trunk.... and then i can ALSO swap the key only part with them and threy will never know... i can steal a VW that easily?... wow, the radios are easy to steal... the cars are easy to steal... these cars need more security!

#17 ·
Re: New Key Programming (madtiger)

Quote, originally posted by madtiger »
i'm having a hard time doing this.
when you actually turn the valet key & hold it. then window closes & door gets locked. can somebody please help me with brief information??
thank you.

he didnt say to close the door...

#20 ·
Re: New Key Programming (club350.com)

Ok, I bought a new key from fellow vortexer. I got the key and used programming instructions in owners manual and the remote funtions work perfect. NOW HERES THE PROBLEM I'M HAVING.....The key needs to be rekeyed for my car. None of my local key shops/locksmiths have blanks(a couple of the locksmiths can cut blanks((ie-valet type))but dont carry the blanks to work with keyfob. I went to dealer service center, they "broke" key in half, said they have to order the key section cut per vin. Is this correct?? Is there a better(cheaper) option. Anybody work at a dealer and have any knowledge???? They wanted about 60.00 just for key half of key.. HEEELLLPPPP

#26 ·
I have a question...
My friend bought used 99' Jetta not to long ago. The problem is that it only came with one key wich I assume that it's Valet key since it's not a flip key that doesn't have remote attached. Now he wants to buy a new key(a key that flips out w/ remote). Guess what?? The dealer asked him to pay $200 for it. All he wants is remote. Do you guys have any idea??? need help here... Thanks inadvance..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.