VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sixth Generation Volkswagen Jetta Debuts - Official Pics!

73K views 230 replies 147 participants last post by  Pitz585 
#1 ·

Today marks a big day in the world of Volkswagen, with the announcement of the next Jetta, available to the U.S. market in October. The sixth generation of Volkswagen's smaller sedan has seen some major changes from previous generations, most notably the fact that it no longer shares a platform with the Golf, as all five previous versions have.

The Jetta VI has grown over three inches in length when compared to the previous version, with 2.6 of those inches being realized as additional rear legroom. The base models (S and SE) will also see the return of the two-liter four-cylinder from the fourth-genereation car, but the 2.5-liter five-cylinder will be available on those trim levels, as well as the SEL. If you're a fan of the two-liter turbocharged engine seen elsewhere in the range, you'll have to hold out for the GLI model, which won't be available until next year. The GLI will also afford you multilink rear suspension, as well as an expected appearance upgrade.

The new Jetta is also priced much more aggressively, starting at around $16,000. Check here for pictures.

Hey All - So I just got back from Volkswagen's very big public debut of the new Jetta VI in Times Square, New York. VW pulled out all the stops setting up beach chairs, umbrellas, sand, grass, a stage, loads of lighting and more to turn Times Square into a beach party of sorts. Katy Perry also performed at the event singing three of her hit songs and taking a few minutes to mug for photos. Photos from the NYC introduction can be found HERE.

At the center of it is the all-new Jetta VI. The new car looks better in person than in photos, has nice proportions and a very clean look to it. We're almost inclined to say a "safe" look to it since it is a departure from the hotly debated Jetta V look, but each generation of the Jetta always seems to need some time to soak in a bit. Plus we're still waiting to see the GLI model which is the version most of us are waiting for.

We had a chance to sit in the car and rear seat legroom is up a whopping 2.5 inches giving the rear seat area a LOT of extra room. Most everything else on the interior seems familiar and right, however we noticed that a few of VW's hallmark soft touch materials have given way to harder plastics. Overall it is still great cabin that looks detailed and upscale, but if there was some cost cutting to get the new price point, some of the dash plastics reflect this. The trunk area also looks a bit spartan with exposed trunk hinges and fasteners that we haven't seen in a VW product in a long time. Oh and the MK4 generation 4WD ride height is back again. That covers the complaints.

Overall the car still has an upscale look to it. Opening and closing doors still gives that reassuring thunk that we expect in modern VW's. Seat materials are still top notch and the headliner is still the familiar nicer weaves used in recent models (as opposed to that horrible mouse felt stuff you see in other products). Switch gear is the same as all other modern VW's with a few new twists like push button start, a new RNS310 nav system option, tweeters in the A-pillars and more. Gauges are more spartan and look like they may have been borrowed from the new Polo. VW has overall treaded a fine line between taking too much out yet still making it feel like a proper German car. Overall everything looks and feels (with a few minor exceptions) like a proper sequel to the current Jetta V despite the drop in price. We'll know for sure when we drive it next month.

Since the new Jetta won't go on sale till September/October later this year, there are some details that haven't been announced - final pricing, fuel economy figures and more. However you can expect a base price for the bargain-basement shopper of around $14,995 with a decently equipped version for around $16,000 - a nice price drop. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to get answers. - Jamie

See less See more
#76 · (Edited)
Well the styling certainly doesn't wow me in the least, and I too was hoping for a little more uniqueness in the sheetmetal...especially after the MKV debacle. This thing will quietly go about its business and fade into the background. I can't help but feel VW has dragged the Jetta downmarket, and I think they're doing the nameplate a disservice. Isn't that what the Polo is for afterall...to capture the $15,000 crowd??

Two things stand out to me concerning the styling. First, I think the interior actually looks lower rent than the MKV. The gauge cluster in particular looks downright plain and cheap. Hop into the MKVI Golf or GTI, and the interior is just executed perfectly. The Jetta should have adopted the Golf and GTI interior...much better-looking in my opinion. And secondly, what's with the chrome strip only along the bottom edge of the windows? It looks very odd to me. It would look much better if the chrome wrapped around the tops of the doors as well. Or better yet, just make the whole trim black for consistency.

#79 ·
Totally looks like the B8 A4 in the rear, first thing caught my eye. And holy wheel gap batman! Ugh are they really that high stock? The front needs to look like the concept coupe more. I always thought the Thunder Bunny body kit looked great on the MKV, a la TDI Cup Edition, what happened to that concept? I am holding reservation for the GLI, christ it better look better. Otherwise I am going over to the Audi or BMW camp.

-J:cool:

#82 ·
trash

they lost there touch completely what the **** were they thinking.... it looks nothing like a volkswagen and thats very sad... and to think it took me awhile to get use to the mKv this is just garbage in my opinion... :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

#83 ·
they lost there touch completely what the **** were they thinking.... it looks nothing like a volkswagen and thats very sad... and to think it took me awhile to get use to the mKv this is just garbage in my opinion... :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
Personally ... I think it looks more like a Volkswagen, has more Volkswagen DNA than the Mk V did. Black grille, no massive headlights, crisp lines rather than soft contours, and understated styling. That's all VW.

A4 tail? Similar (though nowhere near identical) taillight shape, otherwise the design is different.

Gauge cluster? I like the understated gauge cluster without chrome embellishments -- it's what a VW gauge cluster should look like. And I also don't mind the chrome trim only along the bottom of the doors. Moderation in chrome bits -- leave the massive overchroming to Ford.

#85 ·
While cheap, this car comes with features that the Audi A4 doesn't offer in its base trim.

-The ski pass through (A4 only has 60/40 rear split in the US)

-The keyless push button start. You have to upgrade to the top of the line $40k+ "Prestige" trim on the A4 to get that.

The wood trim tends to ruin the "value" image though. The 2.0L won't be fast at all, my 23+ year old car will likely outrun it (its lighter). They could have put a more modern port injected 16V DOHC engine in there for better fuel economy and power. Hopefully they at least pair it with a modern 6 speed automatic. I don't see why people are comparing it to the Honda Fit, this car is much bigger. Why isn't this being built in the US, wasn't that the point in investing in that big TN plant? (which turned out to be a bad hedge since the Euro dropped)

#90 ·
What do we all expect for a base model? Im confused.
In one aspect I like how it is the 2.0, because it will be reliable, and something that everyone will be able to afford. But yet at the same time, I wish that this was equiped with the 1.8t, or at least a 2.5 base model.
I DONT like the gagues. They look so fake. Ive always liked VDubs styling because it was set apart from all the other stuff thats out there, and now it just looks fake, like plastic.
The front end, im not a huge fan of, something is just off to me.. But i do think that the car flows very well.
All in all I think that this car will be a hit. Slam it/Bag it put some decent wheels on it, and it will be a beaut.
And I am anxious to see the GLI, maybe a Coupe?:laugh:
Wishfull thinking!

#94 ·
Everytime I look at the new Jetta, I can't help but think Accord. Very similar lines as the last two models. Not saying that the Accord is a bad looking car, at all, but I was hoping for more originality. Not sure why it's no longer based off of the Golf anymore, but to each his own.

I do love the 2.0l idea, that there will be a ''small'', cheap to repair engine in the market again, but for now, I think I'll stick to my mki Rabbit.

#95 ·
I think we bought VW's because we liked the european styling and characteristics that made them somewhat unique as cars. VW will fail trying to homogenize the brand to become the perfect faux 'North American' marketing wet-dream. Step to the back of the line with Kia, Hyundai, Toyota... !

Simply mind-numbing.

#96 ·
Great, a Camccord. Just what the world needs another boat.

Not to mention it will be the slowest boat at the boring family dock.

VW used to an alternative to the blandness out there, now they are selling a Jetta with fake wood on the dash.

This and the supersizing of the A4 have left me disturbed. Now, it appears that nobody wants my money. I guess I will keep my B7 until the wheels fall off.

#104 ·
Having owned a 2008 Ford Focus for a year - I can definitely say that is the current competiton for this car. Based on the cost cutting, and engine models the Focus will be a good competitor.

The things I grew accustomed to owning a VW really bothered me in a Focus, ie. the cheap trunk finish, cheap interior, terrible engine, etc.

Another competitor would be the new Chevy Cruze too

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/15/the-16-000-question-focus-cruze-or-jetta-w-poll/

autoblog referenced.

#106 ·
Bad lines

It's amazing to me how slight changes in the lines from the concept can absolutely destroy the look of the car. The hard lines on the rear of the concept are very nice and give it an aggressive look. They softened that right up to give it a nice Kia Forte mix with a 2002 Accord rear end so it's uber bland. The roofline, the front end lines. All of them have the same changes from the concept to make what appeared to be the best looking Jetta yet to the most bland looking with just minor changes to those lines. I prefer a hatch anyway, but it's just sad that the design changed that much from the concept that looked so great. The GLI doesn't have a chance outside of some minor things they will change (headlights, grill and maybe a more agressive front bumper). It still won't look as good as the concept.

From Great:

To Terrible with just minor line changes:

#120 ·
It's amazing to me how slight changes in the lines from the concept can absolutely destroy the look of the car. The hard lines on the rear of the concept are very nice and give it an aggressive look. They softened that right up to give it a nice Kia Forte mix with a 2002 Accord rear end so it's uber bland. The roofline, the front end lines. All of them have the same changes from the concept to make what appeared to be the best looking Jetta yet to the most bland looking with just minor changes to those lines. I prefer a hatch anyway, but it's just sad that the design changed that much from the concept that looked so great. The GLI doesn't have a chance outside of some minor things they will change (headlights, grill and maybe a more agressive front bumper). It still won't look as good as the concept.

From Great:

I agree with you 100%. The production car is a letdown after seeing the renderings. They were much more aggressive and distinctive compared to this wallflower design. It amazes me that VW couldn't just tweak the sheetmetal a bit more for a homerun design. It was almost there...so close.

When the spy photos leaked out, I knew I was going to be disappointed. People kept harping on the fact that the details were hidden, but I begged to differ. The design was there for all to see, and like you said, the sharp and angular lines of the rendering made it much sportier than the production version revealed. Again, they finally had the opportunity to break away from the "Golf with a trunk" stigma, and really distinguish this car. They failed.

Maybe a GLI or R (wishful thinking) version will change my perception of the thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

#138 ·

From Great:

I agree with you 100%. The production car is a letdown after seeing the renderings. They were much more aggressive and distinctive compared to this wallflower design. It amazes me that VW couldn't just tweak the sheetmetal a bit more for a homerun design. It was almost there...so close.

When the spy photos leaked out, I knew I was going to be disappointed. People kept harping on the fact that the details were hidden, but I begged to differ. The design was there for all to see, and like you said, the sharp and angular lines of the rendering made it much sportier than the production version revealed. Again, they finally had the opportunity to break away from the "Golf with a trunk" stigma, and really distinguish this car. They failed.

Maybe a GLI or R (wishful thinking) version will change my perception of the thing, but I'm not holding my breath.

You guys are blind. The car in the renderings looks 99% like the car revealed. The difference is obviously the apperance package (spoiler, bumpers & side skirts).

Do you really think VW would release renderings of a base model? They're gonna release rendrings of the most elegant looking model to get the buyers attention.

The pictures I've seen of the new Jetta looks like one of the best looking 16k dollar cars I've seen.

Quit your crying and wait till the GLI comes out if your that concerned about apperance. But ofcourse you'll complain then also so. . . .

#134 ·
2.0 Slow Oil Usage

I still drive a '98 MkIII - just over 209 000 miles with no engine work, never had to add a drop of oil between changes (every 3K - 5K) :D.
My wifes' '99 MkIV GTI GLS with 2.0 slow - now that is a different animal altogether, drinks oil all the time.:banghead:
Basically same engine - two totally different results.

#116 ·
Weight I have no idea, but wagon I do. What you folks in the States know as the Jetta Sportwagon, is something the rest of the world (including Canada) knows as the Golf wagon, and it will carry on unchanged for at least a couple more years. Maybe it will be renamed the Golf wagon in the USA now, too. Same vehicle, though.

And that's a good thing, because when the time comes to replace my Mk5 Jetta TDI sedan, the most likely replacement will be a Golf wagon. I'm not feeling the heavy de-contenting that the Jetta sedan is seeing. Instruments ... arrrrgh. Trunk hinges ... argh. Torsion beam axle rear suspension ... ARRRRGH! The Golf (hatch or wagon) is a much nicer vehicle.

#113 ·
If anyone's interested, I did a post regarding the Jetta VI design in the Car Lounge forum under Jamie@vwvortex's VW Jetta VI Official Photos Released Early post, reply #144.
I probably should have had the sense to post it here. (MODS: Is it possible to copy it to this post? If so, please do.) Long story short, I like it.

#117 ·
Why is everybody obsessed with the push button start switch? Is that supposed to be some kind of measure for luxury or whatever? It is just a switch after all, it does not cost anything more to make than traditional turn key switch..if you think about it, it should actually cost less, not having to machine key slot components. On another note, why is everybody upset with the cheap version of Jetta? Isn't the VW after all a "people's car" :D. If you want somewhat luxury and bit of performance, spring out some money and get yourself an Audi. I think that's what VW is doing, they do not want the Jetta to be competing with some of their other brands meanwhile trying to lure some Corolla, Civic and similar customers into showrooms. However I do agree that using outdated 2.0 8V with 115 HP just does not make sense, it lacks power, lacks fuel economy, and it belongs to a car made 20 yrs ago not in 2011. European 1.2 liter makes 105 HP and 1.4 makes 122hp or 160hp for a twincharged version. I own a 2.0 Golf and I am not into racing or anything, it is my daily driver, but with 4 passengers and AC on, the car feels like I am towing a house behind me, and then I have to climb hills...good luck 2.0 with hauling that bigarse sedan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.