VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Aisin Tiptronic Transmission Life

31K views 72 replies 29 participants last post by  jddaigle 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

What would you say is the life expectancy of the Aisin Tiptronic Transmission? Just wondering how long they hold up...

#2 ·
Other than the valve body issue, you don't see many threads about people having major problems with them. While certainly not bulletproof, I'd say it's a pretty reliable transmission that should last well into the 100k's miles with proper maintenance.

#20 ·
Dealer quoted $350 for flush.

For what its worth, in my previous vehicle (BMW 328i) it also had a lifetime trans fluid and over 175k miles, I never changed the fluid and never had any issues with the transmission. still shifted as smoothly and ran as efficiently as the first day I picked it up with 6 miles on it.

#22 ·
Funny, I had a long discussion with the service manager at the local stealership, he told me as well that it was a lifetime fluid, and that they couldn't replace the filter, that the pan was bolted onto the transmission...Duh!

So I started asking him stupid questions. Such as why the manufacturer of the transmission says to change the filter and fluid at 40k miles, and if having something bolted down alway means that they won't change the filter, then why should I bother changing the oil filter...

I ended up going to a local very well recommended transmission shop, they charged me $120 for the fluid and the filter, took about an hour to change and refill the transmission.

And honestly, I could tell the difference, the shifts felt crisp, with no slop, no lag, or feeling like the tiptronic was searching for a gear. Next up is a larger then stock transmission cooler, as well as another filter and fluid change.

Andrew

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
$120 !!!

The cheapest OEM spec fluid I priced up here in Canada was about $7 litre/quart, and that required some searching. Trans requires 6-7. Dealer charges $34+ per litre/quart.

95,000km on an '09 with a 2.0, and I have not done the flush yet. And. . . I'm well aware of that bulletin, further up in this thread. I figure within the next year anyway.

$120 is like an hour and half of labour. What fluid did they use ? That's an awfully inexpensive flush.

Minimum I figure will be $300 plus the fluid I pick up in the west end of Toronto. But then that fluid can't be synthetic; not at that price. No one knew if it was or wasn't when I almost purchased same a few months ago.

Bottom line: if I use this fluid, then me's thinks I should change the fluid about every 80K or so.

If I use dealer synthetic, then yes, maybe a longer interval (120K?) between changes.

Works out the same maybe.

#24 ·
Yeah, I'd say the $120 charge did not use the appropriate fluid, unfortunately.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.5/Drivetrain/Automatic_Transmission/ES2083333/

One of my local dealers has their "transmission service" listed online as $320, and another local dealer lists $185. My guess is that the $300+ range is what can really be expected for the service. Unclear whether this includes filter change as well, but from what I've read, the filter should probably be replaced as well as cleaning the magnets. If they're just changing the fluid, then the job is only being half-done.

#26 ·
I called around when I had mine done and $375 was the median price. With the filter it was closer to $500, but that's because the filter on the wagons is bigger and more expensive. Fluid & filter on a sedan should be more like $425. If it's less, they aren't using the correct fluid which is probably worse than not changing the fluid at all.

#38 ·
This reminds me that I need to change mine soon. I'm at 105.6k and put 50miles every day. I have no idea about the previous life of my car except they had not performed any of the recalls, which I had done. So I'm assuming the transmission has never been serviced. It will be serviced by the latest 110k but it's holding up good with no issues. Other than the slow shifts of tiptronic.

#40 ·
See if your timing belt has been changed also, bc if it hasn't thats due too

Sent from my Galaxy S3

#39 ·
I have an '07 09G wagon and did receive a VW letter recommending transmission fluid changes. IMO there is no such thing as a lifetime transmission fluid. This is also debated for my 330i as well; BMW says lifetime fluid but the manufacturer (ZF) recommends every ~50k fluid change, so the consensus online is to change the fluid per the tranny manufacturs guidelines, not the car brand who's maintenance recommendations seem to be marketing driven

#49 ·
I am not trying to plead for/against a fluid change, but I think there is such thing as lifetime fill. If the fluid can maintain the properties through the life of the clutches (which will wear regardless of how new the fluid is) then you call that lifetime fluid. A lot of older (5 speed at the most) transmissions on BMW and VW and Mercedes are working good with the original fluid even at 200k mls. To me changing the fluid too often is like washing your brake discs and rims everyday because keeping everything clean will prolong the life of the pads.
That being said, VW had some issues with the valve bodies in these 6 speed auto, and I am pretty sure the pressure boiled down to "let's recommend fluid changes". It is really hard to tell if more fluid changes will help with the valve body issues, but it's a start. I don't think the fluid breaks down so fast, some cars experience problems at 50k mls or so... I am not an engineer for VW and didn't conduct any testing on those valve bodies with new vs old fluid (but I am pretty familiar what happens in companies when the sh?t hits the fan), but I know that most of them fail because of excessive wear, even at low miles, and because the solenoids don't work good. This is true with a lof of new transmissions, which relly heavyly in the valve bodies, from different tranny manufacturers. Long story short, yes, change the fluid, but don't expect the tranny to last longer just because of that. But like eveybody says, it's good preventative measure.

#50 ·
Welp, if it's a "good preventative measure" what's it preventing?

Tranny flush/refill with G055 025 A2 spec fluid to correct AST 6262/2 tool level at correct temperature, plus filter change must prolong overall box life.

If you'd seen the filings around my pan magnets, the pan itself, and the colour of the OEM factory filled fluid at 52k mile you'd see what I mean. Clutches and solenoids must be the better for it. As well as my peace of mind

Comparing a Borg-Warner 35, or Citroen's conical belt boxes, as examples from my yesteryear with today's hi-tech 09G is irrelevent. How much power was I losing thru them back then?

It's only the s&h times from UK to Level10 stopping me doing that flash. Mine's a daily driver Stage 1
(Nikos has his Audi now as well, grrrrr!)

More good 09G info and tips in this running thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...nce-with-the-09G-Transmission...&goto=newpost

#51 ·
As few people said (like gigel), the ATF is for lifetime and I almost (98%) agree with this. If someone has a stock car and he is not driving it like a car-killer, I believe it will last forever. Or maybe for some many-many years (depends on what manufacturers characterise as "lifetime" - maybe 10 or 15 years?). So for someone with a stock car and wihtout an agressive driving style, I would say "don't bother mate". BUT, for anyone else (tuned car or agressive driving style), I would say "why not, go for it". Not every 10.000 miles, but do it at least every 30.000 miles.

I have personally done it three times. Once when in APR stage 2+ (@~56K miles) and then twice while I had APR K04 setup (@~70K miles and @~88K miles). EVERY time, after the ATF change, the car feels like you have a new tranny. It even handles the power better! Now my car has 112,5K miles on the clock from which the last 44K miles are with APR K04 setup and hard driving. Still no problems at all. The car drives great! And it got quicker shift changes after the Level10 flash.

(Nikos has his Audi now as well, grrrrr!)
Now I am swapping to DSG and AWD, because I am going for APR Stage 3+ (500+HP). The K04 setup is going in my friends Passat, also 2.0TFSI Tiptronic. We will also transfer the flashed TCM. So I will let you know how the Tip is handling, since we will keep having a car with the same setup. (btw, this car is a US spec Passat, since Tony -my friend- brought it to Greece from US).

There they are, side by side! :)

#56 ·
You do have a point, indeed. But I am telling you that I have seen auto tranny fluids from fleet cars/vans/trucks that followed manufacturer's maintenance schedule (some of them no AT fluid change) and they had 300k + miles, the fluid looked awful color wise, and the transmissions were perfectly fine. I am not saying that's good, it's just that it would be good to find out how "good" or "bad" from a chemical point of view is. And AFAIK you are a champion when it comes to miles on B6 Passat.
This discussion is almost similar to "how many miles should I do between oil changes". Some can say the best interval is 3000 miles, and "prove" why that is true, some will say that 10k or more is perfectly fine, and again "prove" why they are right. All I know is this: new vehicles owned by people who didn't know you need to change the oil last somewhere between 30k mls and 45k mls :)

#59 ·
Vw also says the cam follower isnt a maintenance part in the 2.0t fsi..... I bet you believe that too then?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

#60 ·
At 67,000mi the fluid in mine was black and the filter had burn marks. This in a car that has led a pretty gentle life.

VW changed from lifetime to 40k without any changes to the fluid spec, filter, mechanical components, or TCU programming that anyone has been able to identify. They probably only excluded 2006-2008 cars due to some calculation of the number of cars affected vs. the number still in warranty.

Given all this, my question is why would you NOT change at least your fluid regularly if you plan to keep your car past 100k, or if you want to sell a used car that doesn't have a potential time bomb for a transmission? Sure, you might get lucky and save the cost of 3-4 transmission services, but why take the chance? I'm asking seriously, not rhetorically.

#61 ·
That is why I said that most owners should do the fluid change for peace of mind.
The cam follower is DEFINITELY not a maintenance item, it is a bad part or design or a combination of both. If you feel that the cam follower is a maintenance item, then the valve body on the transmission is maintenance. Not just the fluid.

#62 ·
:rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy S3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.