VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Sidemarkers !

12K views 158 replies 51 participants last post by  ejand22 
#1 ·
FYI to all those planning on getting sidemarkers... ecstuning.com has sidemarkers instock for Golf R. Smoked and Clear. About to order a pair of Clears myself. Also does anyone know if i can get LED's for my sidemarker bulbs ? Im wanting to find some blue tint so i can cover my Front LED's and Sidemarkers so they will give a nice blue color when shining ! :D

#62 ·
Mine don't fit flush. I'll take pics tomorrow during the day. But I'm taking them off, they don't fill the hole, I can grab them from 3 of the corners and they wobble up and down. They are not of the same quality as the amber OEM side markers. If they won't take them back I'll refute the credit card charges.

They came stating they were for a MKV Golf/Jetta, so I called before opening them to ensure they would fit the MKVI R, I was told to call back when there VW guys were working. I asked if I could email or call on Saturday and was to hold and then was disconnected. So I sent a PM last night through vortex and was told:

"The MKV GTI and the Golf R use the same side marker - You got the correct part.

The part # will be different for marketing between the two. Sorry for the confusion."

People speak well of ECS on here, but my first experience with them hasn't been great. Not only did I have to waste time contacting them, now I have to waste time trying to return them and getting my money back. :thumbdown:

#53 ·
Probably going to go with clear and he LEDs.. Curious... Is there any way to change the blinker in the headlight housing to LED? Along with the LED taillights, there would be no more traditional lighting:thumbup:

#54 ·
I like this idea but I'm staying with the yellow blinker in the headlight because with my blue tint it turns to a gnarly green ... So what I'm going to do us also put blue tint on my mirror led's so they will be uniform ... As for tail lights I love that idea... That would be really sweet !

#56 ·
The R is a little different as the spot where the high beam would normally be is the round amber blinker.. Those lights don't look the same.

#67 ·
If this is how mine will fit, I'm returning my set as well. I have not isntalled it yet, but I would not accept such fitment on $20.00 part that costs doulbe that and its even cheaper than OEM and from what it seems not the best fitment, maybe bad batch?

-Peter

#72 ·
I also have quality and fitment issues with the ECS smoked side markers. And have actually had issues on both my first and second shipment. In all fairness, ECS has worked with me up to this point, but I did want to make people aware of the issues I have.

In the first set, the right (passenger) lens was scratched:

ECS immediately sent a replacement set, but the second left (driver) lens had foreign material embedded in it:

So between the two sets, I ended up with one left and one right sidemarker that are cosmetically good. However, neither has very good fitment in comparison to the OEM parts.

The left one sits pronounced and only loosely snaps in place:

The right one is pronounced on the front lower corner but does snap more securely in place:

And I also wanted to point out that the statement on ECS' webpage, "ECS light housings are ultrasonically welded to seal them tight", is misleading and/or inaccurate. Of the 4 pieces I received, none of them were air tight (simply blowing into the light bulb opening to test).

At this point I am leery to try a third set from ECS. APTuning is working on fitment issues with theirs. So far I have only seen positive comments about the ones from OEMPlus (johannes post #25):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5544986-U.S.-Golf-R-Bumper-Side-Markers

#74 ·
Bahhhh...I thought the "scratches and embedded debris" look was because mine were still wrapped. Took them out and sure enough, same thing. Also have a small chunk missing around the edge of the left one :(

I sent ECS an email to begin the RMA process...

Looks like OEM is the only way to go. Guess I'll go color matched or maybe try the laminix route.

#73 ·
My clear ones do not fit perfectly either - especially around at the front corners. Not as bad as some people posted - no wobble or anything, but they are not perfectly flush like the OEM amber ones.

When I've purchased smoked or clear Hella and Valeo markers in the past, the fit has always been perfect. Perhaps an OEM manufacturer will offer these for the Golf R - I would guess the ECS ones are fab'd in Asia by an aftermarket company.

I'm hoping ECS might have gotten a bad batch and can replace these with ones whose fitments is closer to stock.

If these are as good as the aftermarket ones get, I may consider getting stock ones color matched instead.

#77 ·
#80 ·
How are these coming out -_- I only looked quickly, but I don't have the little access panel in the fender well. Do I have to pull the liner back to get to them?
you need to pull out a couple of screws in the fender liner, then pull the liner back so you can reach in and grab the lights

#87 ·
I ordered the ECS tuning lights and installed them this weekend. The bond between the reflector and the base is not perfectly uniform. This appears to be the primary cause of the uneven nature of the installs we have been seeing. Unfortunatley, I didn't take pictures before the install. The base however snaps in tight and is perfectly secure. My left is slightly more noticeable though both sides don't seat as flush as the stock reflector. With my CSG car, the smoked signals blend in very well though. On the magged picture, you can tell the lower edge has a little lip. Again the left side is a little more noticeable, but it's more of the same. Overall I don't think it is noticeable enough to worry about. If I had a different color combo though, I might not be satisfied.

#90 ·
similar part numbers but not the same ... I don't know why OEMplus sidemarkers fit better .. but I'd hit them up with info. I would have ordered another set from OEMplus, but their ridiculous shipping charge of $16 for a $45 item, makes it :screwy:

$45 shipped from ECS and fit is 95% ... I'd say good enough ..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.