VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A taste of my dream Mk1 in the finishing stages: "Project Carbon"

50K views 210 replies 117 participants last post by  Cushy 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my dream Mk1. I'll be putting consistent updates here over the coming weeks while I finish this off. I finish my current job in 3 and a 1/2 weeks, then have 6 weeks to attend to all the details before I'm back at work.

The wheels are one-off PLS Evolution from France. They have magnesium centres with matte, wrinkle-effect red enamel for something totally different. All held together with titanium bolts, they're amazingly light. 16x8" ET22 front, 16x9" ET15 rear, 195/40/16 and 215/35/16 Hankooks, which stretch over really nicely. Still waiting for my machinist to finish the centre caps.

I'll post up the full spec of the car when I have time :)

996 GT3 RS carbon seats and obligatory CAE shifter mated to 6spd box:

See less See more
#40 ·

#10 ·
:p Yes, just been busy saving and compiling parts, so had a break from it all for a while. I'm hoping to wheel it out of the garage this weekend for some proper pics of the stance :thumbup:

Your Mk1 came up a treat too :beer::beer:

#13 ·
:popcorn: Awesome rabbit ! I love the wheels even thou they dont show as much in those pictures. I would love them more in 15's but thats me. Keep us posted !!!:thumbup:
The 16s are definitely a gamble, I know. I've had a few different sets of wheels on the car and I actually used to hate on 16s :what:

I'll be keen for more feedback on them once I get the car out of my garage. They're just clean and simple five spokes with flat caps, really. I don't really like 'busy' wheels on Mk1s :)

#25 ·
Very cool :cool: Keep up the good work :beer:

I was watching a similar set of PLSs a few weeks back now, but they were located in Germany, so couldn't have been these :)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemnext&item=330452729883.html

Don't know if you are aware but theres a crew that do GT3 replicas in any colour leather (red leather pictured in link below) and youd be hard pressed to pick the difference really, even if they come out of Taiwan. Would have been bloody expensive to go the genuine route instead with the re-cover by MJ Interior :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/x2-GT3-bucket...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19bf413722

#27 ·
Yeah, seen the replicas in the flesh - they're pretty damn good for the price, but the leather is really thin and doesn't last.

I actually didn't pay that much for the seats - they were in terrible shape, so needed the retrim anyway. I re-laid the composite resin and polished it back up as this was scratched up too. Now they look brand new and I know they're safe and FIA approved :thumbup:

Edit: And yes, more pics are coming ASAP :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.