VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2012 Beetle sales not so good

23K views 156 replies 83 participants last post by  Son 
#1 · (Edited)
I very rarely come to the Car Lounge, but I thought I'd try to get other's takes on this topic. It would seem that the latest version of VW's Beetle could turn out to be a flop. It's not doing nearly as well as the New Beetle of 1998-2010.

Granted, the 2012s just came out, and when the first New Beetle was introduced in 1998, that was after the US went 19 years without a Beetle, so it sold like hotcakes in its first couple of model years. But...even after the fanfare of the first water-cooled Beetles wore off, they still managed to average around 30-35K US sales a year. In the end, something like 1.2 million New Beetles sold worldwide from 1998-2010.

Puebla is currently having production issues with 2012 Sunroof models and they are on backorder for months. Meanwhile, most buyers of the few Beetles that have been sold are going for the more expensive Turbo models, which leaves most of the base models sitting on lots .

In January, VW sold exactly 1401 Beetles in the US. They sold about 1500 in December. At this pace, the 2012 model will be lucky to see 20k units sold by year's end. Considering that the NBs of 98-10 did a lot better, this paints a scary picture for the future of water-cooled Bugs. If the 2900 or so Beetles that have been sold since December are inclusive of all the people who are experiencing back order issues, this means that sales numbers for this 2012 Beetle are pathetic.

A new, reskinned model of any make of car should be selling better than its predecessor, and with the 2012 Beetle, this is not happening. I always thought that eventually, water-cooled Beetles would become as iconic as the original air-cooled Bugs, and many people thought I was nuts for saying that. Well, as it turns out, they may have been right all along!:sly:

The question that comes to mind is this: Will VW keep soldiering on with a Beetle model if the 2012+ only sells half of what they did with the NBs of 98-10, or will it be killed again?
Is the water-cooled Beetle community an endangered species?

See less See more
#3 ·
Not sure what is happening nationwide with inventory/marketing/etc....

But my own 2 cent - when I went through my recent car purchase a couple weeks back the dealer had a Beetle on the sales floor. Red, base model, no sunroof. Pretty enough and I admit the wheel covers were nifty. But inside is wasn't that roomy, didn't offer much in the way of utility, and honestly the drivers command center was lacking. No steering wheel controls, minimal dash buttons, low rent looking radio. Bleh.... All this and nearly $20,000.

Unless I was sold on the styling alone then a Golf seems like a much more pratical and economical alternative. And the Golf doesn't exactly fly off lots to begin with.

The Beetle is sort of like my former CR-Z. You either like it for what it is or it isn't even on the radar. Not really a car to cross-shop.

#9 · (Edited)
Backseat with not enough legroom for adults, small trunk, rear seat backs that are difficult to flip, wheel wells that dwarf affordable tire sizes, no engine choises between sewing machines and GTI powerplant. Those are my deal breakers. Plus car mags have said they're horribly noisy inside.

#77 ·
first off I own TWO 98-10 new beetles, a 99 2.0 with 5 speed and an 04 2.0 with automatic.

test drove one, loved it. plenty of room in the back seat (at leats compared to the 98-10 new beetle)

No. No man who isn't already obsessed with VWs is going to go out and buy a New Beetle. The chick car stigma is not so easily washed off, and anything Beetle is pretty well stained.
this whole "chick car" stigma is a bunch of bull****. people who label vehicles like this are dumb (to put it in polite terms) I am a straight man and I bought my 99 because I wanted one since it first came out. loved it then, I still love it now. the only thing that makes a car a "chick car" is if a chick owns it and tricks it out in a very femanine way. Mine on the other hand kicks a$$ on spirited drives with my local club and has no issue giving a vr6 rado a good run for it's money on the twistie backroads.

I love it and hope they build the R edition, but with these sales I doubt it. My first car was a type 1 beetle I've been hooked ever since.
they already have a few built, I think they may be revealing them at one of the big vw/euro shows this season. not 100% on that though

#12 ·
If they moved the drivetrain to the rear of the car like the old beetle, it would sell to men. Men would be piling up at the door to buy the 20K "budget 911". Of course, VW would never have the sand to do that or would make excuses about global platform, gas economy, ride comfort, blah, blah....

#13 ·
I wonder if the Mini and fiat 500 have anything to do with it. Also don't see much marketing for it. I see plenty mini and fiat ads over the past few months but none for the beetle here in Toronto. And if they are around they certainly have no sticking power. Couple with supply issues and it could be an explanation for initially slow uptake.:confused::confused:

#14 ·
Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert
Unless I was sold on the styling alone then a Golf seems like a much more pratical and economical alternative. And the Golf doesn't exactly fly off lots to begin with.

You either like it for what it is or it isn't even on the radar. Not really a car to cross-shop.
Exactly. I also think the turbo models are just too expensive. Like you said unless you're sold on the look(which is much better than the NB by the way) you just can't justify one vs. a GTI or a Golf. There isn't enough there for close to 30k for a turbo (coming from a GTI and NB owner)

#17 ·
I very rarely come to the Car Lounge, but I thought I'd try to get other's takes on this topic. It would seem that the latest version of VW's Beetle could turn out to be a flop. It's not doing nearly as well as the New Beetle of 1998-2010.
Not really an issue as this time VW planned to sell this version worldwide, not primarily the US. FWIW, they hit their target of 5K by Jan 1, and are on track for CY 2012. I don't have AG's numbers so can't address ROW.

#18 ·
I've asked four girls I know who own New Beetles what they think of the new one.... they all dislike it. One of them actually pushed her new car purchase forward by several months when she saw what the replacement would look like.... yeah, I think VW has screwed this one up pretty badly.

#22 ·
I'm curious as to why the OP is so obsessed with this topic. He seems on a mission to prove that the 2012 is a massive failure. He has asked this question (in multiple forms) on at least two forums and in several sections with the same results yet continues to ask....

If/when someone actually says "yes it has failed" what will you do, OP? It is far too early to judge failure or success of a car just launched (relaunched even) so drink a couple beers, calm down, take a deep breath (filled with smokey THC goodness) and wait for the results.

You have been eagerly awaiting it's failure for over a year now. You can wait a little longer can't you? Oh and NO it's failure will NOT increase the value of the New Beetle you currently own so quit asking that question too.

#36 ·
When I worked for VW a long time ago, I remember that the corporate training clearly stated that this was a new car that used the old Beetle as influence. The original first generation Beetle carried forward some very emotional touches that have been lost with the new New Beetle. All of the cool little references to the original Beetle have been lost in the revamped version.

- No Bud Vase (Which, as a heterosexual male I keep a flower in)
- Instrument Cluster that is nothing remotely like the original
- A roofline that makes the car look like a Golf from the waistline up
- Overpriced - at least the original New Beetle was decently priced - the new version is a joke....my brand new Beetle Cabriolet was loaded with every option available (2.5l, Automatic, full leather package, 18" wheels, wind deflector, CD Changer) and it cost less than a fully loaded new New Beetle.

I won't be buying another new Beetle...maybe the new convertible will be a little more "Beetle-esque)....otherwise, I will look to a TT Roadster when we tire of our NBC. My '68 Beetle looks like a relative when it is parked next to the 2007 Cabriolet....the new New Beetle looks like the inbred, red headed, 3-eyed, 4th cousin of the original New Beetle.

#24 ·
Come visit the Sun Belt. These things are freaking everywhere. It's like an infestation. :sly:

Seriously, I see at least 3 or 4 of those things a day. Between the new Jetta and the new Beetle, I think the local VW dealer is taking over my town.

#26 ·
The question that comes to mind is this: Will VW keep soldiering on with a Beetle model if the 2012+ only sells half of what they did with the NBs of 98-10, or will it be killed again?
Is the water-cooled Beetle community an endangered species?
They'll bring out the convertible and see if it helps total sales before they call it quits.

The sad thing is that the Beetle gets the nod for U.S. consumption and actively takes away the nod for the importation and creation of other VWs:

A: The Beetle occupies the coupe slot that the Scirocco or Jetta Coupe could use...

B: A Beetle convertible would occupy the price range that should belong to the Bluesport.

C: A Beetle convertible would occupy the slot that the Golf Cabrio could use...

#29 ·
I think once VW fully ramps up production, fixes the sun roof issue and started to produce the TDI and Convertible Beetles the sales should go up alot. My dealership has 1 or 2 new Beatles on the lot. I am shocked VW is not building a hybrid Beatle because that seems like all the Hybrid people would love that.

#71 ·

On a more serious note, I talked to my dealer and he was saying that most of his customers wanted sunroofs and that the problem VW is having is seriously affecting their sales.[/QUOTE]

This is what I have read. There were delays because of the sunroof hitting the hatch when both were open.

#33 ·
I'm not surprised that the new New Beetle is a flop...it's lost the unique styling touches that made it a Beetle. For starters, the interior looks as if it was cobbled together out of the corporate parts bin, the roof line looks like it has been squished...I'm sorry, but after owning 2 New Beetles (1 2003 and now a 2007 NBC), I wouldn't buy the new car.

I think that VW has driven a nail into the Beetle's coffin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.