VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Lowering Spring/Coilover Guide

216K views 281 replies 87 participants last post by  crazypenguin007 
#1 · (Edited)
There have been many threads regarding different suspensions for the MkV platform. This is going to be a comprehensive list of the most common lowering springs and coilovers. Also, feel free to leave a picture of your vehicle with details on your suspension component.

If I am missing something, feel free to PM me and I will add it to this thread.

Please, refrain from quoting full images and videos. Image quotes tend to clutter a thread.

*Disclaimer*

- All listings below are for a 2008 Jetta. Please check what is needed for your vehicle before making any purchases.

- CLICK HERE for the Koni Coilover DIY. This thread is useful for all coilover and spring installations, regardless of brands, with some very minor differences.
- CLICK HERE for the sister thread, The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Intake Guide.
- CLICK HERE for the sister thread, The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Exhaust Guide.
- CLICK HERE for the sister thread, The Official MkV Golf/Jetta Aftermarket Engine/Transmission Mount Guide. :thumbup:
- CLICK HERE for the FK Coilover review thread.

OEM Components

When replacing suspension components, there are several items that can be replaced. The most common is the front upper strut mount and bearing. If you are reusing the OEM struts, then replacing the nuts are an option. Most coilover companies include the nuts. If you want to replace all components, then here they are:

- Front Upper Strut Mount Bearing: 6N0-412-249-C (MSRP $10.50 each)
- Front Upper Strut Mount: 1K0-412-331-B (MSRP $59.50 each)
- Front Upper Strut Nut: N-910-216-01 (MSRP $2.80 each)
- Front Upper Strut Mount Bolts (three per side): N-101-277-07 (MSRP $1.50 each)
- Front Lower Strut Pinch Bolt: N-909-548-02 (MSRP $3.00 each)
- Front Lower Strut Pinch Bolt Nut: N-101-064-02 (MSRP $0.90 each)
- Rear Upper Shock Nut: N-103-041-02 (MSRP $0.90 each)

Lowering Springs

- FK High Tec Sport Springs
- H&R Spring Product Line and Application Guide
- NEUSPEED Spring Kit Race
- NEUSPEED Spring Kit Sport
- Eibach PRO-KIT Performance Springs
- Eibach SPORTLINE Kit
- VWR Sport Springs

Coilovers

- Koni Coilover Kit
- FK Streetline
- FK Highsport
- FK Silverline
- FK Konigsport
- FK Silverline X
- KW Variant 1 inox-line – Perfect Street Performance
- KW Variant 2 inox-line – Perfect Street Performance
- KW Variant 3 inox-line – Perfect Street Performance
- KW clubsport – Coilovers for race track and road
- KW street comfort
- KW competition 2-way adjustable
- KW competition 3-way adjustable
- H&R Coilover Product Line and Application Guide
- ST Suspensions Coilover Kit
- BC Coilover Product Line and Application Guide
- Raceland Coilover Kit
- Raceland Ultimo Coilover Kit
- Rokkor Coilover Kit
- V-Maxx Coilovers
- Bilstein Performance Coilovers
- Eibach PRO-STREET Coil-Over Kit
- Eibach MULTI-PRO-R1 Coil-Over Kit
- Eibach MULTI-PRO-R2 Coil-Over Kit
- KSport Rally Spec AR Damper System
- KSport Version RR Damper System
- 8380 Tuning Street+ Coils
- VWR StreetSport and StreetSport Plus Coilover Systems

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
User Vehicle Applications List

KIDVersion 1 (FK Silverline, no helper springs, 23.3125" front ftg | 23.625" rear ftg)

Parked-2 by santorum, on Flickr

AWD-TAXI (FK Silverline X, no helper springs, 23.75" front ftg | 24.125" rear ftg)

Abandon-1 by santorum, on Flickr

waittllnextyear H&R Sport Springs

nickbeezy (Raceland coilovers [first version], spun all the way down, no perches, trimmed front strut)

pictured here with ksport endlinks

comparison to oem

what was trimmed down

AKdub914 (Neuspeed Sport Springs)

Wintermode:

Summermode:

DboyDub1 (Vogtland Coilovers #968554, 6 threads left in front and 8 in the rear, 24.5" FTG give or take)

AsymmetricalDichotomy (B&G RS2's, Front: 0 threads, Rear: 7 threads, FTG: 24")

Night Shot by M.W.C., on Flickr

LFZ (Koni coilovers, all the way down in the front with both locking collars in place, no perch in the rear, 23.5" FTG, no notch)

AKdub914 (H&R ultralow coilovers, not all the way down. FTG not measured yet)

saveFred (Rokkor Coils, front spun all the way down 0 threads, rear no perches)

Vbelisle (BC BR coils, 23 FTG all around one rear perch removed, a few threads more up front but I'm not sure how many)

kueckerdj09 (V-Maxx coilovers, 23.45" FTG, removed rear perches)

mkvdevil06 H&R Super Sport Springs

teejaybee FK Streetlines (no helper springs, 0 threads left, ~ 23" front ftg | 23.25" rear ftg)

#3 · (Edited)
Suggestions and Comments

anteramk5jetta said:
Hey, Eibach and Bilstein coilovers and springs!
You forgot K-sport coilovers! I'm on them, love them, and the camber plates they come with are great as well! :thumbup:
Thanks! Added!

thanks for doing all of these, they are really helpful and incredibly informative. I'll defiantly be coming back here when i'm deciding on coils and the exhaust one for that.
:thumbup::thumbup:
Good thread.
Damn! Kidversion1 is at it again!:beer:
Kidversion1 doing it like a boss! :thumbup: man!
Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
thanks for doing all of these, they are really helpful and incredibly informative. I'll defiantly be coming back here when i'm deciding on coils and the exhaust one for that. In the mean time:

mine is on H&R Sport Springs with stock shocks. Car is about 1.75" lower as the website says it will be. I like the ride, it's defiantly a little stiffer, but it doesn't bother me, i like the sportier look and feel. (i've also got 17.5mm spacers in the back) it's about a fniger and a half gap, sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less, depending on how the car is sitting

:pic:
:pic:
above

#15 ·
to the OP may i suggest to add sway bar endlinks to the list?
I would, but then I wil have to add sway bars, camber plates, and strut bars. That's a lot and then this becomes the suspension thread. Thank you for the suggestion though. I may do it later on.

Any way we can also post spring rates along side of their respective link? I know I have done a lot of looking for this information and centralizing would be a big help.
Some of the websites have the spring rates listed. Some don't. I tell you what, if you compile a list of spring rates, I will add it to the OP. :cool:

#17 ·
I would, but then I wil have to add sway bars, camber plates, and strut bars. That's a lot and then this becomes the suspension thread. Thank you for the suggestion though. I may do it later on.

Some of the websites have the spring rates listed. Some don't. I tell you what, if you compile a list of spring rates, I will add it to the OP. :cool:
If I can find the info, I'll do my part for the community. :thumbup:

#18 ·
I will add the Koni DIY...thanks for reminding me!

Honestly, I have done many installations and the only parts I recommend replacing are the strut mounts and bearing for the front. I have reused all of my hardware several times with no issues.

If I can find the info, I'll do my part for the community. :thumbup:
Sounds good! Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.