VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Lowlydubb3r's build thread

69K views 327 replies 89 participants last post by  aka_deno 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been saying I was going to buy one for awhile and today I finally did it. I got a Candy White/Titan Black 6spd Passat TDI SE. I'm coming from a 4 door MKV GTI that looked like this:

Here's the new car:

I'm going to try and refrain from doing any major modifications for at least a month..... lol
I do plan on adding these before SOWO:

See less See more
#13 · (Edited)
From my understanding as long as they are not your dedicated headlights they are fine. I had yellow high beams in my GTI and had no problems. If I get fogs they will be yellow as well.

Edit: I looked it up.... for MD the law says

"Headlights must be white in color. Any required lamp, lens, or reflector that is obscured by any object or shielded by a nontransparent material, or any headlamp equipped with aftermarket clear, tinted or screen type color is prohibited."

So I guess they aren't legal but I'll take my chances. I don't plan on blinding anyone, I just like the yellow look :thumbup:

#15 ·
Installed the new hinge covers I got from redneckracing. I got some more bulbs coming in soon and sunday I'll be picking up my new daily wheels. I'm still on the search for my show wheels....

FYI if you buy the dual hinge covers, on the passenger side there is a stud on one of the clips. Either you can drill a hole in your hinge or just cut that stud off, which is what I chose to do and it sits flush and clips perfectly.

#129 · (Edited)
I have the same car but with the 2.5 and I can do something similar to what you are doing. The car looks better and better every time I go to the next page. I have been extremely busy with work and now school, so haven't been on Vortex much and this is my first time reading this thread. Subscribed.

I just have 2 question. Regarding the plate lights, is it a regular bulb with blue tint, or LED? Did it throw any bulb out message on the dash when you put them in? And how is the ride? I live in NYC where potholes look more like meteor strikes and like how the car rides and takes the bumps the way it does now.

First thing I did was put 4300k HID's in which light up the road awesome. The plans I have are throwing a Thule rack with fairing on the roof, to lower it an inch, inch and a half, yellow fogs, to throw 18 inch VW Spokane's on it, and whatever else I like that comes along since our cars are still new. Keep posting! Once again the car looks awesome and you have me extremely jealous. I'll drive my girlfriends 2009 E350 4Matic, wait, make that my 2009 E350 since I bought it for her and we are in the process of breaking up because I can't drive my Passat looking so stock. I'm going to order fogs now.

#27 ·
Looks good. One question since it looks like you're going with air on it. Since B6 coilovers will work on B7s, in theory, B6 airride should work as well, right? ECS sells a B6 air ride kit for a pretty good price and I've been thinking about it. Also, is there anything in the way that would stop a B7 from being low?

#28 ·
Thanks. I'm going to be using my air ride I had on my MKV which is compatible with B6's. I mean if you want to be safe you can wait till my install is complete. I'm hoping to start it this weekend and be fully complete next week. If the suspension is the same as MKV, MKVI, and B6 then the only thing that will keep you up is the passenger side axle where you would need to notch the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.