VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Just test drove a Fusion 1.6/auto. WOW.

21K views 71 replies 55 participants last post by  xdre 
#1 ·
I am thoroughly impressed with this car. This may very well be the car to lure me away from the Germans. It was a short drive and a mix of city and highway, so here's my impressions:

Highlights
- Very nice power. There's not as much torque as the chipped 2.0T in my MKV GLI, but the power is still enjoyable
- Handling was EXCELLENT. I fully admit I was expecting something close to what I'm driving now, and it easily surpasses it. Steering was direct, very quick ratio and laser accurate. The car hugged the road on a tight on ramp. This car was truly fun to drive. It was a completely engaging drive.
- Interior materials were quite nice. Buttons and stalks clicked and snicked as well as the Germans. Dash design was nice, but the screen for the radio was on the small side (but is not a touchscreen). I especially liked the cloth used for seats as it wasn't mouse-fur velour or some weird textured stuff. Just clean black cloth with a slight shine and nice red stitching. The silver plastic trim is on the cheap side as are the lower door panels. Graphics in the screen between the gauges are really slick.
- Transmission shifted nicely and struck a good balance between shifting for economy and performance. I'm VERY intrigued to find out how the manual will drive (more on that in a minute)
- Engine noise, while not melodic, was well muted. With just enough noise to let you know what was going on, but it wasn't silent.
- Road noise was virtually nonexistent.
- The suspension is nicely firm yet not at all harsh.
- Seats were very comfortable, rear seat room was adequate.

If I were to fault the car at all, I'd say that the legroom in the rear was less than I expected. Probably on par with my Jetta. It wasn't tight by any means, but for the visual size of the car I was expecting more. I also felt the trunk, while wide and deep, was somewhat shallow. As mentioned above the silver trim is on the cheap side.

Overall, the car is a real winner.

The dealership experience was good, but the salesman and the owner made great efforts to try and talk me into an automatic. I was clear with them that I only buy cars with a clutch, but they thought I was crazy. I'm sure they wanted to get me to buy the car on the lot, rather than ordering/waiting on a manual model. If dealers really want to woo people away from the Germans, they need to be more receptive to those of us that want a third pedal.

Also, they stated that manual transmission models were special order only. I told them it wouldn't be a problem since I owned my car and it was paid for. I'm not sure if they were telling me the truth, or trying to push me into the model on the lot, or that they just don't want to order any manual cars to stock on the lot. And when I say they tried to talk me out of a manual, they REALLY TRIED. I was just about to tell them it's my money and that's what I want when the subject was changed.

I really really really liked the car.

See less See more
#48 ·
Kind of sucks you have to special order the MT, I imagine not a single dealer will have one on the lot to piss around with :(

It should be interesting to see how it and the Mazada 6 compare in the real world.. both are pretty unique.

#64 ·
Just came back from test driving the 1.6 as well, SEL with navigation.

First thoughts:

Exterior looks really, really good in person (white)
The doors feel INCREDIBLY solid, opening and closing. Really heavy thud to them.
Cloth seats were nicer than I expected.
My ford touch, as well as the display by the odometer were great, I had no issues with them. Mu only complaint was the speedo was a little smaller than I'd like, but that's obviously to fit the two screens.

The A/C controls, or w/e the buttons are under the navigation are annoying at first use.

I wanted to drive either the hybrid, or the 270HP or w/e the big turbo engine is, but all they had was the 1.6L, and honestly I came away pretty surprised. It has more than enough pep for a daily driver. If it was my ONLY car I'd want something more powerful, but I have a weekend toy for that.

I'm going to have to wait till Canada gets the Hybrid and Focus ST (which I also want to look at) before making my choice. Honestly Ford is killing it right now. This is an amazing package, which is the best looking car in the segment, just above the Optima SX IMO.

Smooth and poised on the road. It felt like I was driving an entry level BMW than a domestic sedan.

#65 ·
I dig the exterior styling all around until the transition to the decklid. I thought car companies were over trying to blend the roof line into the trunk. I prefer the outgoing one just because of this. Hell, I prefer the cleaner simpler lines of the outgoing one period.

That being said, I'd still rock one.

#66 ·
Grrr.... I'm kind of annoyed that everyone has a local ford dealer with these in stock and the one by where I work still doesn't have any. I got the mustang serviced last week and asked one of the sales guys where either the new Fusion or Focus ST were and he didn't really have a firm idea of when they would receive either. All he said was "soon".

But I did see a C-Max hybrid! :screwy:

#68 ·
How does the interior quality compare to the outgoing Fusion? Those felt like a bad mash-up of "old Detroit {*}," gawdy, and rental-car.
Night and day. I had a base 2011ish Fusion as a loaner last year and while the design was fine, the materials weren't that great. The new one blows the other one away. Everything looked and felt far more expensive than the outgoing model. The only areas that felt low-rent were the silver painted plastic pieces on either side of the center stack and the bottom half of the door panels. This is a high quality, no excuses interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.