VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

the JEEPS only thread!

918K views 2K replies 546 participants last post by  04UltraSport 
#1 ·
Lets see em guys http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

See less See more
#1,287 ·
DEUCES: I love the chrysler wheels^^ what size of spacer are you running to make the offset more xj friendly? did you know that they are actually 5x115? this amounts to nothing in the already-wobbly jeep world, but on my friends ranger they felt like they needed to be balanced because they centered on the first lugnut that was torqued. still cool wheels and really good looking, and I would totally rock them, just food for thought.

here is my old beater xj doing some driveway flex testing:

rear bastard pack specs: stock xj main leaf (bolt rusted into body so it had to be used, even though it was really reverse-arched) extra xj main, cut-down mj main, then whatever springs fit to make roughly2"-3" of lift with only 5 leaves.

front was just spacers :rolleyes:

tires were 32x11.5-15 BFG A/T on 15x10 steels (took a fair amount of ether to poof them on)

anything that rubbed I cut/pounded including the drivers side floor (it was an auto, no clutch throw needed.

you might be asking WHY I would ghetto an xj together such as I did. well... the springs were all free, I made the spacers, the tires were scored from a tires pile and revived with a can of green sealant, the wheels were a trade for an old stereo, and the sawzall blades were cheap :laugh:

oh, and it had a little rust...

but hey, it worked... for "brush clearing"

I drove the thing a few thousand miles through every kind of weather. These worn BFG A/T's did amazing in the snow/road ice (small lugs/lots of edges... go figure) and the low/wide/flexy combination allowed me to do some stuff I would never have tried in my previous tall/skinny/stiff xj.

here it is messing around on a gravel pile:

here it is rolling my friends jeep over immediately after a rollover:

here is my previous xj:

again:

ok thats probably enough whoring

#1,289 · (Edited)
DEUCES: I love the chrysler wheels^^ what size of spacer are you running to make the offset more xj friendly? did you know that they are actually 5x115?
Thanks man. I had the 31" all terrains before these and always thought they did well.
The bush clearing was funny. Way to check where you're going first. :laugh:

You really aired that thing out!

17"x7" wheel, best I can tell it's about 4" of backspacing.
5x115 is 0.7mm bigger than 5x114.3, measured across the lugs, so at each post it's 0.35mm.
Ford Ranger's hub centerbore is 70.5mm, Jeep/Mopar is 71.5mm.
They fit the hubs like they were made for it, I'm really curious too, to see if the charger unit bearing is the same part number...
So I can't make them sit off center of the hub, even if I don't do a perfect star.
I only run a 1.25" spacer in the back, fronts fit good, little bit of lower control arm contact, but with 32" tires on stock width there's not much I can do about that. I have iron rock offroad adjustable lowers, or I'd think about the grand cherokee WJ LCA's.

They are 44s, but not stock.
Chromos? Truss?
You walked right up that ledge... :laugh:

#1,306 ·
fun weekend...

Hey man if you dont mind me asking, where is this at? Im local to here and would love to learn of a new spot. Only place i have been too has been the coal region (centralia, treverton, and shaomokin area)

#1,302 ·
Little work I did on a friend on mines Jeep truck yesterday. we bobbed the ass about 20 inches and I put the bed ends back on to make it looked a little more factory, it still needs a little more welding but other wise came out real nice, now on to the pics

all the extra metal that was cut off

mocked up and getting ready to weld in.

right before I left for the night, He still needs to finish up fabing the rear bumper and put a notch in the tail gate.

#1,317 · (Edited)
Well the truck is actually a friend of mines, I know he's planning on lifting it more, not sure what he's going to use. so far the plan for now on the outside is to start an exo-cage for it. the tailgate actually doesn't open and not because of the vise, when we bobbed the a$$ ( there's more pictures on post 1302 of this page of the actual work I did on it) I had to notch the tailgate around the frame to make it fit, if you look closer on those pics you'll see that the tailgate actually sit on the frame in the factory mounting post on the bed. its more to make it look factory and to have an end to the bed, he can still remove it if he needs to.:thumbup:

#1,320 · (Edited)
Spun the 4 banger with no plugs, it groaned but turned, threw a new set in, cranked it over and it fired up!
But it got a new battery, new cowl panel, new wiper assembly, pulled out the alarm system, and I got an old soft top from a buddy.
Then I built a somewhat rude front bumper, since the old one was destroyed.
This one's got a 1/4" plate for the front.