VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My 1974 Type 181 THING build aka "Gus"

5K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Friedrich1985 
#1 ·
Happy New Owner of my 1st Air Cooled.
A good friend sold this to me, and it had sat for over 14 years.
rebuilt 1600cc dual port.
its going to be something special once im done with it just needs some TLC
here will be my scrape book :)...

See less See more
#2 ·
i love these things. i will have one, one of these days. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Had a Thing back in the 80's..Pounded the piss out of it out in the sand pits til she died.I just left her sitting there to become target practice for yrs. to come.:banghead:

We used to pound on cars back then...If I only knew. I was working at an insurance auction/bone yard place and got all the VW's that came in for free..I must have killed at least a dozen GTI's and Rabbit diesels, never mind the AC's...ahhhh to be young again.

#22 ·
Excellent post.I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.This looks absolutely perfect.
best marriage site
All these tinny details are made with lot of background knowledge. I like it a lot. This was a useful post and I think it is rather easy to see from the other comments as well that this post is well written and useful.Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say…
khabar naak

I procrastinate a lot and never seem to get something done….

#25 ·
hey thanks for the offer, i do need a few little things..do you have the front chrome trim rings that go around the headlights? and looking to get some hubcaps for the wheels...also looking on help to lower the rear? don't know if you have any knowledge on that? i picked up front spindles off a 70's bug that will lower it three inches, thats what im going to be working on next thanks again means alot

#26 ·
Ya know Matt, you got one of the best resources right near you, the CVA guys. Tim will tell ya.

Dropping the rear is a piece of cake, I've done it multiple times.

The front though is more than just the spindles. Being a Thing, 2 of the control arms ( I forget if top or bottom ones) have the ball joint flipped around to help raise the car. So you will need to get the 2 bug control arms along with the spindles.

#27 ·
hey! yea im actually a member of the CVA those guys rock! dammit now i need to find those control arms...do you have any pictures? working on a tight budget and love used parts lol...thanks for the help, its just sitting a little bit to high for my liking...i heard with the rear, you need some special tools because of the tension on the beam

#28 ·
I'm Chris with the green 77.

No special tools for the rear, other than a floor jack and a really expensive angle finder ($7 at home depot)
Ive dropped the rear a few times both IRS and swing.

I think you need the lower arms, as the bug ones point twards eachother.
Luckily all ball joint ones are the same

#32 ·
Hey Chris :) thanks for the help maybe sometime this week or next week you could stop by and give me a hand? if you have time gonna put it up on jack stand tuesday after i go to a local get together. I live in Somers and my number is 860-463-7402 always nice when someone has done it before to guide you...plus i want it sitting nice for Terryville and Marks shows any help would be greatly appreciated, i supply food and beer :)

Wow. Saw you were from CT but didn't really expect you to be so close until I saw that you were at the Mansfield Drive-in.

Awesome car man. :wave:
Thanks man means alot, yea i grew up in stafford and live in somers currently, i had such a blast at the drive-ins trying to get more aircooleds to go and make it a weekly thing, def had alot of people stopping by to check it out.

...yeah i have all that stuff i'm sure somewhere in the tent and upstairs and the shop.

...make plans for terryville in aug.
thanks :) do you have the said control arms for the front i would need aswell? i def want it sitting a little bit lower for terryville and for marks..dont mind paying you for what they are worth...thanks in advance

#34 ·
thanks for helping me out, i def want them name your price and ill take those off your hands, if i need them to go low, i have to have them. i would def like to look through what you have for extra parts maybe i will take a ride out to you tomorrow i have the day off. where in Rhode Island are you? over doing it is a good thing for some cars, for me he will get there someday. I saw your boosted black beauty at Oktober Fest last year....purely amazing man great work!!! best part was when you where scraping the front when backing it up on the trailer...fast and low :):beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.