VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Look what Internet Meme sent me in the mail today!

217K views 874 replies 263 participants last post by  dntdrvslow 
#1 ·
A whole stack of F40 LM parts? Internet Meme, no way! You are WAY too nice to me!

LM rear wheels with new Pirelli P Zero Rossa? What?

The fronts too?

And huge LM Brembo brakes for all four corners? Internet Meme, you shouldn't have!

And to finish it off a full inconel LM exhaust? Wow, Internet Meme, you're the best!!!

And to think, all this time I didn't know what everyone was talking about with all this Internet Meme talk I keep spammed with. I guess you really are real. Wow.

See less See more
#137 ·
A car that truly made my young self drool back in the day. :thumbup:

#140 · (Edited)
I have to be honest: after finally reading the whole thing, that Internet Meme thread is really disturbing to me. When people were bringing it up in my first thread, I was under the impression that it happened years ago but it was only this summer. I didn't go back and look at his post history but it sounds like some people here talked to him offline? But nobody knows who he is? I will do a little searching on Fchat later tonight when I have time and see if anyone there knows anything about it. Somebody has to know something.

I already did a search for "curse the gods" and came up empty.

For what it's worth, the biggest liar that I ever knew was from London or Surrey or something. Made up wild stories about himself and his past and just could never ever say a truthful word. Beyond professional help and maybe the same with this other guy too.

#142 ·
I have to be honest. After finally reading the whole thing, that Internet Meme thread is really disturbing to me. When people were bringing it up in my first thread, I was under the impression that it happened years ago but it was only this summer. I didn't go back and look at his post history but it sounds like some people here talked to him offline? But nobody knows who he is? I will do a little searching on Fchat later tonight when I have time and see if anyone there knows anything about it. Somebody has to know something.
People talked to him via private message, but never outside of this forum as far as I know.

I recall an admin saying that the IP address he was signing in from was in the Baltimore, MD area.

#158 ·
I've actually seen him post as recently as mid- late September, I think.

And, as for the consistency of his story, it actually matches a lot of the child predators' behaviors on some of the social networking sites. We had a really interesting sermon at church this week titled Facebook for dummies, and it was eye opening how consistent the stories are of people who are trying to pull something over on someone or a group of people.

Chris

#159 ·
Much respect!

Beautiful car and I'm happy to hear it gets driven.

A few weeks ago I watched the Top Gear old hypercar v new hypercar comparo where Clarkson re-proclaims his love for the F40. I can't help but agree :heart:

Please don't hesitate to post more pictures, sound clips, videos, drawings, history, stories! :cool:

#167 ·
Where do you get F40 LM parts?

Was this stuff ever sold by Ferrari in any way other than as OE on actual F40 LM's? I guess they have to carry spares, but it seems like anything from an F40 LM must be unobtanium.

The Enkeis are terrific, I can't wait to see them on the car.

OP is the king of TCL. Long Live The King.

#177 ·
Where do you get F40 LM parts?

Was this stuff ever sold by Ferrari in any way other than as OE on actual F40 LM's? I guess they have to carry spares, but it seems like anything from an F40 LM must be unobtanium.

The Enkeis are terrific, I can't wait to see them on the car.
It was sold through Ferrari but not just to anyone. You had to have some inside line so that you could get a reasonable response, from what I was told. I think you could also get them from the various subs if you knew what exactly to ask for.

It sort of is unobtanium but there's also not much of a market. I'm sort of a parts hoarder so I usually know where to look and get phone calls about stuff that's stashed away. The biggest thing is just paying attention. The Ferrari world isn't huge and the Ferrari supercar world is smaller still. I have good connections, too. It all helps.

#182 ·
Without sounding like too much of a nutswinger, I hope..
You sir, are my hero.
For some reason I always imagined that an F40 owner would be a complete prick.
You seem like a completely normal guy who just happens to have the ultimate Ferrari (in my opinion).
I am also in for vids.
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
Rock on

#190 · (Edited)
I actually like those wheels a bit better then the original ones. :thumbup:

With all of this F40 love (I do love that car) do you have any posts or write ups on your Audi? I don't want to detract from this thread as I do enjoy reading up on one of history's greatest cars. I was very close to getting a CQ years ago and it crosses my mind from time to time. :cool:

#191 ·
I actually like those wheels a bit better then the original ones. :thumbup:

With all of this F40 love (I do love that car) do you have any posts or write ups on you Audi? I was very close to getting one years ago and it crosses my mind from time to time. :cool:
I used to have a 1990 Corrado, by the way. Loved that car so much.

The Audi has been one of those labors of love. When I was 15-16 years old, that the THE unicorn for me. I lived in SoFl and they were really rare but I knew a couple of people who had them. I never got to drive one but I did get rides. I always thought it would be so cool to get one and put the S4 motor in it. I always said I would do that one day.

Well fast forward to my mid 30's and I started thinking about it again. Then I started looking around and saw that what I had envisioned so many years ago was popular and people were putting 3B and AAN 20vt I5 engines in these. So I started looking (that's how I met McStiff, who is THE go to guy for Audi Coupe knowledge here in Colorado) and stumbled across this one.

It was owned by an investment banker in NYC who had several CQ's over the the years but had an idea to make one as bad ass as possible. He found a low mile coupe out of California and and engine and turbo from a reseller in NY. He ordered a ton of real S2 parts the UK and Germany and over 3 years he built this. I bet he put $40k-$50k easy into it.

Some of the upgrades:

All kinds of S2 parts from the wiring harness to extra oil coolers and brackets to turbo lines to all the body parts.

All new engine/transmission/diff mounts from 034 as well as injectors and other go fast stuff.

Porsche 996 brakes all around.

The whole car was repainted and all the subframes and assemblies were removed, cleaned and powdercoated and essentially the whole car was rebuilt by the guy as a hobby/stress reliever (and you know how that goes).

Well, as you might expect there was one problem. The car didn't really run well. It sort of didn't run at all, actually. He said he was selling it to buy a C4s and I'm sure that was true but as with many things, this car was not quite as advertised. I honestly don't hold it against him as I got the car for a song compared to what it would take to build. Nevertheless, it's taken me most of a year to sort it out.

Right now, the car is running very well (knock on wood) basically thanks to two people: McStiff and Tufty Jones of S-Line Motorsports. Between the two of them and a lot of fiddling around in the garage, it's a pretty amazing car now.

It has about 300hp, handles well, is reasonably comfortable (I kind of want to put the Sparcos that I had in my old Ferrari), and is tons of fun. The only problem is that to get it to run properly at this altitude, the a/c had to come out. It sits right in the way of the radiator and with the thin air, the car runs way too hot with it in the way. So I decided it would be my fall/winter/spring car.

Once we did get it running okay, I did get stranded a couple of times. Once when the fuel pump died and once when the driver's side rear diff fell off (did I mention the guy put it together as a hobby?).

I am about halfway to where I need to be with it. I need to change the intercooler, reroute the intake routing with a high output manifold and tb relocation unit, change the rad fan, and some other things, more to eliminate the heat soak than for more ponies. Eventually I'll do a new suspension by S-Line in there too. As if that's not enough the carpet in there is a little rattier than I'd like and then I'll finish it up with some better cosmetics - duraglass the side skirts in body color, do some venting on the hood for the turbo, and do a better front bumper for a huge intercooler.

Glad I got it but boy has it been an adventure.

#207 ·
Can you get out of the bathroom? You've been in there for like 30 minutes, I need to take a leak.

(this thread only has one bathroom)

#195 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the write up. I had to ditch my AC in my Corrado because of heat problems but it doesn't get too hot here in Portland.

While I have the opportunity I've always wondered about the, for lack of a better term, nuts and bolts of the F40. With it being a stripped out, high strung super car is it put together pretty well. I guess I'm asking does it buzz and rattle when driving on anything but smooth roads or is it pretty composed?

#201 ·
Nope. It goes together pretty well. I've had a bunch of it apart in the garage and it all just goes in pretty nicely. The only things that sort of buzz are the roll up levers for the windows if you don't have the windows down or up. Everything inside is carbon fiber so there's no soft fabrics to dampen any vibration of things like that.

I'll post some pics of some of the stuff I've done with things apart.

#198 ·
How much does insurance cost on the F40 just out of curiosity? Do you have some special insurance coverage particular to exotics or is it done through Allstate or something like that? And you mentioned having a family (which I assume includes kids) how does the insurance handle having kids in the household with such an exotic car and the risk of damage or theft?

#203 ·
I insure it with Geico and it's not the most expensive car that I insure. One guess as to the winner of that one.

The kids are young but super careful. My garage is locked up and has a bunch of alarms and such. Consequently, the kids don't keep bikes or things in there and it's not used as entry or exit because of the locks and other security things. So they're not in there except when I'm working on the cars in which case, I built them a loft above my work bench so they can play or watch while I'm out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.