VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

What's so lackluster about the 370Z?

21K views 111 replies 66 participants last post by  Khyron 
#1 ·
I remember a few years ago there was a lot of hype surrounding the 370Z but then after release it just kind of fizzled away and until now there has barely been any talk or people suggesting it in "what sports car should I buy threads"..so what's the deal with it?

See less See more
#5 ·
Conceptually I think they are fantastic cars. But in reality, they are outrageously expensive for what you get---and the '13s even moreso. I tried to consider one before I bought the mustang, but I couldn't get anyone to sell me one that was anywhere close to the mustang. And most dealers, at least around me, thought the car was something rare and special, telling me they didn't didn't get many in and just didn't deal on Zs.

I'll be very interested to see what nissan does with the next generation Z. Will they try to make it more like a mustang with big power or will they continue to downsize the car, but also downsize the motor and hp?

#7 ·
Performance wise, it was a well balanced package when it first came out but has long since been surpassed in that segment without any major upgrades. I would probably think that's the large reason why interest has died down a bit.

Personally, I never really liked how it looks on the exterior though the interior I think is an upgrade compared to the 350Z.

#67 ·
Performance wise, it was a well balanced package when it first came out but has long since been surpassed in that segment without any major upgrades. I would probably think that's the large reason why interest has died down a bit.

Personally, I never really liked how it looks on the exterior though the interior I think is an upgrade compared to the 350Z.
I agree with the exception of the Nismo. My neighbor has a black Nismo and I love that damn car.

#9 ·
In a 2013 model context, it's V6 Mustang / Gen Coupe / etc. power and performance in a trimmer package for more money. That money could buy you, say, a Mustang GT.

Where the Z compares favorably to is the SLK, Z4, and Boxster/Cayman. It's cheaper than them with similar dimensions and better performance per dollar. People have their own reasons for buying the Germans though.

#13 ·
In the beginning of September I drove a '12 Roadster from Los Angeles to Jersey. I was thoroughly impressed with the car. I put 4k miles on it in 5 days and enjoyed every one of them. It was fast (but a bit coarse) handled well, got a lot of looks and was ergonomically designed. It definitely put the car on my map. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I didn't have the Corrado and had the need for an otherwise useless car (besides the fun factor). I haven't driven much of the competetion, but from my experience with the car, I would definitely recommend one.

#20 ·
It's a great car that gets forgotten when everyone is talking about the new pony cars. But it deserves more attention IMO.

0-60 in 4.6-4.8 seconds.
Quarter-mile in 13.1-13.3 @ 107-108 mph.
Pulls 1G+
More powerful, smaller, and lighter than the 350Z.
Bulletproof engine
Brilliant SyncroRev transmission (that is defeatable if you chose to do so).

Car and Driver: At this price, possibly the best sports car on the planet.

On the highway and in traffic, the 370Z is one Z-licious companion. From rest, the car rolls away elegantly, asking for a mere handful of revs above idle. Clutch takeup is predictable, and the shifter’s throws are so short and smooth that your forearm barely moves. Power manifests as low as 1900 rpm and flows in one great, seamless rush to redline, with no discernible variable-valve step. Brake-pedal travel is minimal, taut, linear. And the structure feels as solid as a Porsche 911’s, issuing exactly zero rattles or squeaks. The steering is a little heavy but is always accurate, quick, yet never nervous. Aim for a pebble at an apex, and you can place the inside front tire atop it. Select a path through a sweeper, and no further corrections are required. Over scabrous pavement, the 370Z tracks better than its predecessor, and it has a locomotive’s sense of straight-ahead. Brain-damaged text messagers will be in heaven— that’s how long you can take your hands off the wheel.

In the hills, the 370Z is simply BMW-ish in the manner its engine and transmission talk to each other. Jump in or out of the throttle, and there’s no jolt, no windup, no neck snap. Revs build and dissipate rapidly but without notice. The car eagerly establishes a soothing driving rhythm, such that glancing at the speedometer always produces a shock. When did we get going this fast? That’s a surefire sign of sedulous engineering.

The best sports car on the planet for the money? Damn right.

#21 ·
It's a very good, real, sports car, period. 0-60 5.3, pulls about 1 g, what am I missing? I chose a C6 over the Z34 myself but it was definitely a contender. Nice comparison here to a Cayman S from when they first came out.

One of the main reasons I didn't like the car was coarseness of the engine. I found it offensive to my ears at high rpm. Also, I wanted either glass over my head (sunroof) or a targa, I wasn't interested in the G37 and the then new Mustang GT (I felt) was more fun. . . and then I found a C6 w/Z51 package and that was that for me.

On the plus side, I wish every manufacturer made the synchro-rev matching, I absolutely love that feature about the Z, kudos to Nissan for that! Ergonomically, I felt it was very nice inside the car, nice ride, terrific handling and I really like the design of the car quite a bit. Back when I was looking at them, I really liked the rays forged rims that came with the sports (I think it was) package.

Overall though, I felt the 370Z was an outstanding car though!

#23 ·
I really, really like the 370Z. It is an absolute blast to drive and has more immediate responses than any of the existing pony cars. The transmission could be better and the engine doesn't sound very good, but I think the chassis is fantastic. If the next iteration has a smaller, smoother engine and loses a couple of hundred pounds, it would be a knockout.

#31 ·
It's a nice sports car. I was seriously thinking about buying one but it was just too impractical as a daily driver. I couldn't imagine driving one in everyday DC commute. Two seats don't help neither. Clutch and engine noise were not great. But as a weekend or track ride, I think it's great. It has plenty of power and handles great. I'm sure next Z will be even better.

#33 ·
I still don't understand this.
THIS:

Does not make a car any more practical.

And that's all you'd get in the 370z without making it look like a 280z 2+2 (eww).

I'd actually consider it a downside as in many carpool lanes, they require 3 persons unless your car has 2 seats only.

#36 ·
All I know is that I love them in blue.

And that the wheels sit so far out into the corners that it makes the car look like it's hunched over, ready to pounce.

I am not a fan of the fangs.

#38 · (Edited)
I REALLY like this.

My first car love was the 300ZX TT, but I couldn't afford one, so my first car was a '71 240Z (username QWKDTSN is the license plate). I haven't paid much attention to the new Z cars. There are some things that really annoy me about the 350Z, but the 370Z is pretty cool. I will admit I never think about them when I think about sports cars, they sort of fly under the radar.

#41 ·
Clutch is horrible.

The Mustang GT has 100 more HP for the same price and V8 soundtrack and two seats more.

Middle of the road car does nothing really good, nothing really bad. Fair weather fans died with the economy, only hardcore sports car guys left and they want used Porsches, not new Nissans.

#45 ·
Fair weather fans died with the economy, only hardcore sports car guys left and they want used Porsches, not new Nissans.
My dad bought both. :D

79 Porsche 930 and a brand new 09 370Z when it came out. Just rolled over 15,000kms this past weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.