VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Which new automotive trend needs to die?

21K views 164 replies 97 participants last post by  hfiles2011 
#1 · (Edited)
So I think I'm about officially tired of several pretty recent automotive trends, be they styling, gimmicks, etc. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- "fluid" styling (Hyundai and Mercedes comes to mind, and I can't believe those two share ANYTHING except 4 wheels)

- LEDs, halos, any kind of lights which are one step above a PepBoys special

- gaping maw frontends

- 19"+ wheels on anything other than trucks

- overstyling, mainly slats, vents, and intakes, 98% of which don't do anything

I'd vote for the catfish frontends and oversize wheels, I'm sick of every company thinking they need to have a massive grill opening or two. Its especially crappy when you can see the blacked-out section for the crash bar, or flat plastic where there isn't an actual opening. This is chasing a trend, not doing something original or attractive. I've also gotten sick of heavy-ass oversize wheels with rubberbands for tires, they hurt ride quality and make cars look cartoony or like a caricature. The new Boxster S comes standard with 19s, and to me that's ridiculous given that its supposed to be a car that is a basic, fun roadster. I have 18s on my TT and I'm ditching them ASAFP for 17s and more tire, enough of this ****

Also, I tried to add a poll, but vBulletin faked me out with a 5min requirement :thumbdown:

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't even think trucks need 19" wheels.
Trucks need meaty tires to deal with truck use activity, not low pro sticky rubber that would lose all grip on level wet grass.
It is kind of ironic that big trucks became popular because of their husky commercial image, yet if you look at real commercial use trucks they have tall sidewalls.

AFTERMARKET HID DROP IN KITS.
Or better yet- some type of headlight inspection standard for all states to allow such kits if they are installed and aimed properly.

Only making designed efficiency a priority with hybrid models.
A super aerodynamic hatchback with low rolling resistant tires and an efficient properly geared gas engine could come damn close to matching hybrid mpg in normal use for 2/3rds the price.

#9 ·
Corporate xerox machine styling across an entire product line.

Spaceship cockpit wannabe interiors. Toyota and Honda, I'm looking directly at you. They're just plain silly, and a total mess. Sure, the ergos might be alright, but when the interior design makes you wonder where the button for retracting landing gear or turning on the thrusters is, something is very wrong.

#13 ·
-Brodozers
-Stancing (I refuse to use stance as a verb), and I can't stand waiting for them to pull into a lot.
-Towing Eyes.

-People who generally don't take care of their cars. Guy down my street has a 944 that is beat to **** and annoyingly loud because it needs so much work, yet he must think for some reason it sounds good.

#20 · (Edited)
putting half the taillight in the trunk lid/hatch
The 4 ft. horizontal silver toothpicks spanning the rear of almost every luxury sedan
daytime running lights
reflectors in the rear bumper
silver colored dash plastic
auto locking doors
A/C on with defrost/ no recirc mode with A/C on

The Kia Optima taillight makes me laugh. With it also wrapping around into the quarter panel.

#34 ·
guess you missed the 4 year Daimler Hyundai partnership where Mercedes shared engineering tech in exchange for Korean mass production know how.
I highlighted the important word in your statement. I said styling. Styling has very little to do with engineering, aside from making them work once both are decided upon. Mercedes in general has gone off the deep end as of the last 5 years - random badges, gaudy accenting, take-and-paste aesthetic. Apparently trend has replaced class :thumbdown:

#24 ·
Massive grills(audi)
Massive cars
SUVs(lets call it a 20 year trend)
Bags

sticky euro said:
Nothing annoys me more than nutswingers who attempt to justify form over function. imad.
Why? Looks are more important to them than performance. I have a cousin who is like this. He never drives his car hard and only has done tasteful aesthetic mods. Nothing wrong with that.

#30 ·
Why? Looks are more important to them than performance. I have a cousin who is like this. He never drives his car hard and only has done tasteful aesthetic mods. Nothing wrong with that.
Fair enough, and obviously to each his own. But if you were to bag even a GTI, a "hot-hatch" which is meant to be sporty and fun to drive, why would you ruin it by running bags, and stretched tires? Not to mention show rats who run big turbo...and bags. It just doesn't make sense, why not just buy a golf?

#63 ·
Protruding lights:
Big picture so it bugs the crap out of you, too.
Many years ago- I used to read about this company or that company working with the IIHS on a new model design to try and reduce insurance repair costs (and thus- insurance premiums).
I assume they all gave up working with the IIHS to reduce repair costs looking at these new headlights that protrude out enough to guarantee they will get busted in even the smallest corner impact. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.