VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

PayPal claim filed against me. What to do?

18K views 159 replies 45 participants last post by  phil123 
#1 ·
So basically,
I sold wheels.
Buyer pays with PayPal.
Buyer chose UPS to ship the wheels.
I shipped wheels with UPS.
UPS lost 2 of the wheels.
I file a claim for the buyer with UPS.
Buyer files a claim with PayPal.
In the buyer's statement, he says that I ignored his texts and did little to nothing to contact UPS and find the wheels. (The lady that helped me file the claim with UPS knew what I was calling for every time I called and heard my name. I also have answered every text he has sent and even tried calling him about the status of the wheels.)

The dispute isn't settled yet, but when I actually talked to a PayPal rep in the claims dept., she said that I would probably have to give the buyer a full refund or take back the 2 wheels and give a partial refund.

I feel like I did everything right as a seller. I even gave him a choice of which shipper to use. I gave him tracking numbers the minute I got them. He never asked for any kind of insurance, so I didn't offer or obtain any quotes regarding insurance.

Is there anything I can do to help my case? I have all conversations with the buyer (via text and vortex pm's) and receipts from UPS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Gaston

See less See more
#70 ·
either way.
i am done.

the OP has his advice and hopefully has learned a lesson for next time around.

refund the seller 50%... or have the wheels returned and refund 100%.
close out paypal claim.
work on UPS claim.
try to sell remaining 2 wheels.
lick wounds and move on.
???
no profit... not this time, sorry.

#86 ·
It's amazing to read how many people don't know how shipping via UPS works and how Paypal works. The truely scary thing is how many people think it's always the other person's fault or somehow the other person has to be the responsible party. Fact is, whenever you deal with ANYTHING online you always have to cover yourself.

It makes for an entertaining thread to read at work.....

#98 ·
I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Domestic packages always insure for the full value. I have had a "lost" package with UPS, and guess what, they found it in one of their hubs.

I forget what the time frame is, but there is diffently a time frame in which UPS has to recover your package BEFORE they pay you out the insurance figure. 3 days before the deadline they found the steering wheel.

Meaning I would NOT refund the guy his money until you have the money/wheels/something from UPS.

Just out of curiousity, who is this guy in NORCAL?

#129 ·
I have to agree with Mr. 123 here, you should just call UPS and change the delivery address of the two missing packages to your address (this is really easy) and reverse the transaction. At minimum to avoid having to pay return shipping.

I also don't understand why we're picking over nits. Oh wait, TCL does as TCL does.
My point is, once you start a claim with them, they are going to return the package to you if found, unless they f*@k up, which I concede can happen, and is the reason I laid out the notion of recourse at that point.
And yes of course you can reiterate to them that you want the shipment sent back to you if found. But still, that has nothing to do with not paying the buyer the refund until the UPS claim is settled and paid with you.

#137 ·
My point is, once you start a claim with them, they are going to return the package to you if found, unless they f*@k up, which I concede can happen, and is the reason I laid out the notion of recourse at that point.
And yes of course you can reiterate to them that you want the shipment sent back to you if found. But still, that has nothing to do with not paying the buyer the refund until the UPS claim is settled and paid with you.
Since you are pushing so hard on refund I have a question for you:
-would you refund all the money w out buyer sending you 2 wheels back or wait till you receive 2 wheels then issue a refund??

#140 ·
Two words that will save you loads of trouble in the future: Signature confirmation

#148 ·
OP is the biggest dumbsh1t ever.

Here's the rules:

- Signature confirmation required on $250 and up or the buyer instantly wins. I always tell the buyer and most of the time they're like no, I can't be at home and I'm like oh okay I'll waive and and send it signature required anyways LOL :D What do I care about their life, I already have their money (sad, but true :eek:)

- UPS/FedEx and USPS EMS (EMS ONLY) give you $100 free, it's up to you to purchase any additional amount. UPS doesn't know that you didn't ship Rotas nor are they going to listen to you yabber about lightweight forged alloy wheels.

- Always insure your stuff. You just learned perhaps the most expensive lesson of your life. Suck it up, don't let it hurt your butt too long and moveeeeeee on.

- Don't trust anyone. Not shipping carriers, not your customers, not your mom I'm talking fcuking no one. Trust yourself only.

Now OP is out the money, the wheels and his pride while dickface in NorCal has two wheels for free. He's not going to ship them back and PayPal is going to give him a full refund.

#157 ·
you're so kind lol when i talked to the paypal rep earlier today, she said that they buyer is required to return the 2 wheels, and then i issue a refund (if the claim settles in his favor). is this true?

I would issue a full refund AFTER I receive my 2 wheels. Just in case.
Other business also wait for item to be received before issuing a refund.

Sucks for OP, but I'm not crying over a set of RS s.lol
yes. it does suck

What value did you declare on the shipping form, out of curiosity?
i honestly don't remember

#151 ·
Yes, USPS will. So will fedex.
I would not UPS internationally. They suck with clearing customs. I would use Fedex is there is anything complex (For example, when I lived in the UK, I was VAT and duty exempt. Fedex could figure that out. UPS never did and kept asking for money, which I eventually paid and had to have refunded to get my ****)

#150 ·
my two cents:
  • ebay/paypal enforce a system whereby the seller has to act like a good business does, under the notion that the customer is always right. people don't always realize the overhead and care that's required to live up to this standard. I'm not saying OP had any bad intentions (and he seems to fully accept the state of things), but these rules do their best to marginalize people acting as if a sale is a casual thing.
  • don't conduct any communications outside of the ebay mail system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.