VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Lights stay on after parking, default setting?

33K views 67 replies 21 participants last post by  gti_matt 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out but can't find an answer. Parked at the mall about 8pm, dark, came back out 45 minutes later and the parking lights were still on, aren't they suppose to shut off the same as the interior light after a while to save battery? An overlook in design or that's the way it is? Every VW I had after 1992 will shut of lights completely. Am I missing anything? I guess I need to remember to flick the switch to off every time, hmm.

#4 ·
I.....aren't they suppose to shut off the same as the interior light after a while to save battery? An overlook in design or that's the way it is? ..... Am I missing anything? ....
Oh no, you have to turn the lights off all by yourself?

Have you read that section of the OM?

BTW, if the light switch did not have a "auto" position marked, wouldn't it be logical it was not auto? There has to be some means to have the parking lights stay on with the car off (thus the name parking lights).

#5 ·
actually, the biggest indicator should be the *ding ding ding* from the dash. that tells you if the light switch is still turned into an ON position. the switch needs to be turned OFF to have no outside lights on (save for DRLs if activated).

#7 ·
i dont think its fair that you guys are bashing on the guy for his questions.. after all, most japanese cars ive driven (the vw is my first car AND first german car in the family :D), automatically turn off the lights when you take out the key. of course if for any reason you need your lights on, you can switch it back on w/ the key not in the ignition..

#12 · (Edited)
came back out 45 minutes later and the parking lights were still on, aren't they suppose to shut off the same as the interior light after a while to save battery?
Hmm, I'm not asking how the lights work :),.
yes you are? does your tiguan, cc, or passat do this? i would be really suprised if you said your Tiguan shut its light of automatically.

people are here to help, but generally questions that can be answered by reading the manual or that are common knowledge will lead to these types of responses. :thumbup:

#19 ·
Yes, they all did it since 2000, all the Passats and CCs I had, the Tiguan that my wife drives does it too, having said that they all had light sensors or the auto mode on the light switch. I had an Accord in 2003 (don't ask why) fully loaded, no auto headlights but it will shut the lights after being parked for more than 3 minutes with the light switch on. Useful, I guess I got use too much to the auto headlights. Anyways, is not hard at all to switch it off when parking, just need to remember it :).
Is there any way to implement this? or install the auto headlights option?

#13 ·
So here is the thing why the light stay on without the key on.

In most of the world, if you have your car parked on the side of the road, the car has to have marker lights on.

Some cars have a special parking light switch that allows you to pick which side the markers are lit, but having the ability to have the parking lights on when the car is off or disabled is a country requirement, and I doubt that anyone cane name a US car that does not keep its parking lights on with the key off. That is why they are called Parking lights, they are for use when the car is parked.

#14 ·
US cars with parking lights? many subarus have a switch on top of the steering column for the parking light function (02+ Imprezas/WRX/STI/Outback Sport, Legacy/Outback, Forester..)

my cousin's SLK320 has the parking light switch also. When you turn off the lights, it was the next 2 detents going counter clockwise after off....

There is a guy at work with a B6 A4.... he usually leaves the parking lights on by accident, which I normally have to email him to tell him to turn it off...

....and I enabled mine on my passat via VCDS

#23 ·
Don't know if it's the same on the GTI but on my '11 JSW, if I leave the light switch in the on position and shut off my lights my parking lights of course stay on but once I lock the doors they shut off. When I unlock the doors, the parking lights come back on and when I start the car, uhh wagon, the lights come on. Sometimes I use this as the poor mans coming home and leaving home for my garage because it's so dark and it works great. Just feel a little funny for locking my wagon in the garage but again, that's the poor mans dilemma.

Going back to the OP, especially being at the mall, does locking your doors not produce the same results of turning the parking lights off when you leave the light switch on? Of course I'm guessing that the doors were locked.

#26 ·
Auto function requires a light sensor of course, but I'm not looking for auto function, just to shut the lights when the car is locked, when coming back into the car and start the ignition, the lights should turn back on, not automatic lights function,.....maybe I'm not explaining this the right way?

#27 ·
Basically an auto-off/on.

My old 88 Camry had this (as did my parents 94 Corolla). I can leave the headlight switch to the full on position, drive the car, turn off the car, open the door and all the lights turn off. THen later get back in the car and start the car and all the lights are on again....

#30 ·
Lighting features

Auto-on/off feature comes builting in to the multi function wheel switch. Coding in the module also gives the different functions with all the same light featured on all vehicles. Euro fog light feature(brake light on and reverse light luminated on one side) is all about the hex coding. The side light being on after key off is also a coding feature on the confort module. If you want all kinds of new hacked features go to the dealer and have them adapt features(turning them on). Auto window up down with the key fob is another cool feature

#32 ·
Auto-on/off feature comes builting in to the multi function wheel switch.
Steering wheel switch? Huh?!

Coding in the module also gives the different functions with all the same light featured on all vehicles.
I'm unsure what you are referring to...

Euro fog light feature(brake light on and reverse light luminated on one side) is all about the hex coding.
You need a euroswitch with a rear fog position for the rear fog to work...

The side light being on after key off is also a coding feature on the confort module. If you want all kinds of new hacked features go to the dealer and have them adapt features(turning them on). Auto window up down with the key fob is another cool feature
I don't know a single dealer that will do this...coding changes are left to owners of VCDS cables and software...

#33 ·
The way I understand it is....

The europeans know that americans are stupid enough to not know how to use the headlights properly. That's why they have only two positions; off and on. When the headlight switch is in the ON position with the car off, the parking lights are on. Think of how many times you've seen people driving around with just their parking lights on and then think about what I said :)

Parking lights are to be used when parked, but not all the time. I usually turn off my headlights when I'm parked, but if i'm gonna be in the car for an extended period, i like to still be able to see my radio buttons. Also, in europe, if you're parked on the right side of the street, your left parking lights are supposed to come on. If you park on the left side of the street, the right lights come on. It's so people can see your car in dark non-lit areas.

Now, I'm gonna go outside and see if the side-parking lights work on my 2011 without euro switch. Probably not.... but it's worth a try :D

#34 ·
The way I understand it is....

The europeans know that americans are stupid enough to not know how to use the headlights properly. That's why they have only two positions; off and on. When the headlight switch is in the ON position with the car off, the parking lights are on. Think of how many times you've seen people driving around with just their parking lights on and then think about what I said :)
Don't you mean American VW owners are stupid

Audi gets the middle parking light position on their switch, in the US

#36 ·
Switch

The switch wheel that I am talking about is what the lights are turned on and off with. Most of these switches have several positions no just all on or all off. The coding change is something that is not told to customers that buy the car its something that has to be requested. Generally if you want a feature done having a function adaption completed is what Volkswagen calls it. Other ways to change operation is to have the hex long coding changed. This can be something as simple as changing the amount of blinker flashs during a turn signal tap. Or, like I mentioned auto window up and down with the remote. If you make friends with a technition its the easy way to have things adapted.

#37 ·
The switch wheel that I am talking about is what the lights are turned on and off with. Most of these switches have several positions no just all on or all off. .
No. All Mk6 sold in USA and Canada have only two positions on the headlight switch. On and off. 'On' might have a secondary position for front fogs if equipped on the car from factory.

The coding change is something that is not told to customers that buy the car its something that has to be requested. Generally if you want a feature done having a function adaption completed is what Volkswagen calls it. Other ways to change operation is to have the hex long coding changed. This can be something as simple as changing the amount of blinker flashs during a turn signal tap. Or, like I mentioned auto window up and down with the remote. If you make friends with a technition its the easy way to have things adapted.
Dealers do not generally do coding change. The Official tool they use from VW is VAS505x and it is as useful as a brick.
Definitely not very useful for changing turn signal flashes or hex coding. Some dealers might invest in VCDS and a vag-com cable at their own accord and is not widespread. I'm not sure where you are getting your information from so I'll end with the quote below....

I don't know a single dealer that will do this...coding changes are left to owners of VCDS cables and software...
:thumbup:

#48 ·
Every VW I had after 1992 will shut of lights completely.

No, the DRLs will shut off but you never had your full headlights on to begin with... VW had some models with full DRL 9parking lights were auto, the headlight switch only turned on the full beams and the dash lights), but those aren't "automatic" in the strict sense of the word... just a form of DRL. VW hasn't done that since the mk3 too, all their DRLs are headlight only since Mk4 IIRC.

And about parking lights (the European kind), yes, the turn signal stalk turns them on the side you have the stalk in with the key off and out. I added that functionality to my Mk2 by wiring in the switch (it was already there just not wired). I think Phaetons have this OEM.

#57 ·
other thing blatantly missing as far as features go? When you turn the car off, the cabin lights do NOT come on. You need to open the door. Talk about taking something for granted. It's nice to park, shut the engine off and be able to see to collect your belongings before opening the door to the frigid temperatures outside...
Not true, they do come on just fine when the ignition is turned off. All you have to do is to remove the key before you open the door.

#62 ·
Making money

You must know more than me because I thought that when we charge for an hour labor and there is no effort to do it and no parts cost. That to me means higher profit margens. Maybe you should go back to what you were doing before. Like sawing Toyota gas pedals....

#66 ·
Interesting...maybe its the coding on the midline cecm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.