VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Jetta VI Rattle Fix Thread

236K views 408 replies 186 participants last post by  btavish81 
#1 · (Edited)
I would like to create a thread where we can post information on identifying the cause and providing a solution to common rattles in the MKVI Jetta. I'll keep the first post up to date as an index to individual posts describing the cause and/or solution to each problem.

1. Fender subwoofer, rear deck
    Cause - Rear plastic deck vibrates
    Solution - Tennis ball under rear deck

2. Windsheild/dash at high speed
    Cause 1 - Loose plastic rain/splashguard
    Solution 1 - Make sure the tabs that hold it down are secure
    Cause 2 - Leaf in rain/splashguard drain rattling in wind
    Solution 2 - Keep rain/splashguard free of leaves/debris

3. Trunk rattle when going over bumps
    Cause - Spare tire not secured
    Solution - Secure spare tire

4. Trunk rattle
    Cause - Rear seat release cable
    Solution - Wrap and secure cable

5. Snapping/cracking from instrument panel
    Cause 1 - Missing screw in dash from factory
    Solution 1 - Dealer installed missing screw
    Cause 2 - Squeaky trim
    Solution 2 - Add styrofoam

6. "Rustling leaves" when accelerating
    Cause - Needs holding rod clip from dealer
    Solution - Have dealer fix
    More Info - Thread detailing this issue

7. Driver or passenger door rattles (multiple)
    Cause 1 - LED security light cylinder plastic housing
    Solution 1 - Foam tape (Full thread)
    No cause 2 found -
    No solution 2 found -
    Seems there is no single cause or solution to these rattles. Suggested dynamat or other soundproofing

8. Snapping/cracking, head unit area
    Cause - HU frame makes contact with HVAC frame
    Solution - Felt pads (Full how-to)
    One owner had his entire HU replaced

9. Creaking Dead Pedal
    Cause - None found
    Solution - None found

See less See more
Reactions: Mhuffman
#42 ·
I got the headliner clip recall done, and now the middle of the headliner rattles....:banghead:

Every interior piece of my car seems to rattle, it seems worse when cold. Cluster, Head Unit/HVAC, Driver and pass door panels, headliner, center console...

This car has more rattles then my 1990 Nissan 240sx!

This thread shold be sticky'd BTW

#45 ·
Has the TSI waste gate rattle fixed by my dealer. Nothing but sweet sensual whistle now. :D I have a rumble rattle in my bass when I'm cranking my stereo with a heavy bass band such as Tool. Otherwise nothing I'm in any hurry to ghetto rig a fix for.

#48 ·
Dash Cracking/Creaking

Hello all, since the weather here in Michigan has dropped to 20 degrees, I now get a loud cracking/creaking in the dash, while driving over rough pavement. It seems to be coming toward the upper portion of the dash near the windshield. I pressed on the upper area of the dash but no cracking noise could be made. I did this when the car was making the noise while driving. I saw the thread about the noise caused by the rain splashguard along the bottom of the windshield. I checked it out and seems pretty secure, but then it's probably frozen. I do realize plastic makes noise in the cold, expecially during this time of the year in MI. Last week when driving over the icy roads, the dash creaked/cracked all the way to work, which drove me nuts. I would appreciate any feedback.

#50 ·
Hello all, since the weather here in Michigan has dropped to 20 degrees, I now get a loud cracking/creaking in the dash, while driving over rough pavement. It seems to be coming toward the upper portion of the dash near the windshield. I pressed on the upper area of the dash but no cracking noise could be made. I did this when the car was making the noise while driving. I saw the thread about the noise caused by the rain splashguard along the bottom of the windshield. I checked it out and seems pretty secure, but then it's probably frozen. I do realize plastic makes noise in the cold, expecially during this time of the year in MI. Last week when driving over the icy roads, the dash creaked/cracked all the way to work, which drove me nuts. I would appreciate any feedback.
Ohio here same thing.

#49 ·
WATCH OUT jetta mk6 gli

hey my name is wade. i am in new jersey. i bought a 2012 gli autobohn edition in september and didn't realize this major problem until recently in december when the cold weather hit. there was water building up in the trunk under the matt and on the spare tire and the surrounding housing. i brought it into dealer and there was a missing vent or something that wasn't installed. on the paperwork there was a couple parts i noticed that said recall next to it on my bill sheet. now its mid january and i am having a problem with my weather stripping or something. for two days after it rains and i roll down my back driver window than roll it back up there is water coming up on the window. i am pretty unsatified with this car. i hope the dealer works something out for me besides just fixing it. gime a week or two and i will post my bill sheet so anyone can see what part it was and look at your gli. remember i didn't see the problem until the cold weather hit so if you live in warm weather area and u drive gli watch out.

#55 ·
yup the design of the holder is cheap. simple as that, they could have completely lined it with felt or a rubberized surface that so many other manufactures get right. makes the holder worthless to me as the rattling drives me nuts...but theres so many other competing rattles, its hopeless. I hope VW still reads these forums.

#59 ·
Center Console Rattle/Buzzing

This is an annoying one, it sounds like it's coming from the dash instrument cluster, but it's from the center console (as you can put your hand below right of the shifter and the noise goes away). Dealer fixed it once, but a week later it's back. Goes back in Monday. I'll keep you posted.
Car just hit 1,000miles, and this is the 3rd time it's going in for rattles (Front Pass Door, Cluster, Rear Deck).

#62 ·
This is an annoying one, it sounds like it's coming from the dash instrument cluster, but it's from the center console (as you can put your hand below right of the shifter and the noise goes away). Dealer fixed it once, but a week later it's back. Goes back in Monday. I'll keep you posted.
Car just hit 1,000miles, and this is the 3rd time it's going in for rattles (Front Pass Door, Cluster, Rear Deck).
Update they put more foam... and still there... but I've been doing experments with it and figured out why it comes and goes. I found a piece of road that sets it off constantly, and I can go from Drive to "Manual" and it rattles in drive, then stops in Manual, and starts in drive.

I'm thinking it's the DSG shifter needs lube, or the linkage (it uses a linkage for the park function) needs adjustment. Car goes back on tuesday... I'll update.

#64 ·
Passenger Speaker

I'm going on month 2 with my '12 SE and I have no rattles at all. The only annoying issue is that the passenger speaker starts to crack at a relatively low bass volume. I wonder if its the speaker or something in the door. Anyone else experience that? I don't want to install my subs and have the whole car start rattling if I can get decent sound (with no cracks) from the factory radio...

#65 ·
I'm going on month 2 with my '12 SE and I have no rattles at all. The only annoying issue is that the passenger speaker starts to crack at a relatively low bass volume. I wonder if its the speaker or something in the door. Anyone else experience that? I don't want to install my subs and have the whole car start rattling if I can get decent sound (with no cracks) from the factory radio...
I had this issue, there was an electrical connector in the door (near the handle area) that was "buzzing" against the inside of the door handle and the door frame metal. Foam tape around the connector by the dealer fixed this.

I was able to find it as I popped the "reflector" bottom out (it just snaps out), and shine a flashlight while playing music... I took a picture of it and handed it to the dealer...

#67 · (Edited)
Why isnt this on the first page with the other sticky anymore? Anyway I'm going in for my 90 day soon and my rattles are only getting worse I need somewhere to direct the techs otherwise they're going to say they can't find anything again :facepalm:. It seems that my drivers side door is rattling and I cant find it. Seems to be coming from the storage area close to the speaker. When I take everything out and start pushing on it it doesn't help I'm thinking it could be behind the panel. Any ideas? :confused:

I'm going to check behind the reflector today but it makes the noise even when the radio is down.

#70 ·
I have to say I do love the car, but for $29k you'd think the car would be slightly better put together. I had a 2009 TSX previous to the GLI and it was the quietest car I've ever been in...I only just am realizing how well put together it was. I had the instrument cluster rattle fixed, only now to have the passenger door speaker start to rattle at certain frequencies. Now there's another rattle coming from the instrument cluster area, but its definitely not the same as the original as no amount of pushing/holding/touching makes it go away. I can't even get it to buzz all the time. Can't use the sunglass holder as that buzzes when you put your glasses in. Really annoying :banghead:

#75 ·
Anyone have a problem with their drivers seat? Mine squeaks when I go around corners it seems like it's coming from the seat back, like a spring or something. I told the dealer, they acknowledged it and so they greased the seat rails!:facepalm::banghead: Thanks a lot :thumbdown:

#77 ·
Yeah, mine did on a road trip back in Oct. Don't really here it now though.

Anybody have doors not wanting to open yet? Seems as though VW put the old door lock actuators in this model and brought back the "doors acting like they are locked even though they are unlocked" problem.

#76 ·
While replacing the cabin filter the other day I found a new source of rattleling in my Jetta. It was coming from the bottom A/C vents that are below the glovebox.

First remove the foam cover underneath as if you were going to replace your cabin filter. Then simply check to see if the bottom A/C vents move around a lot. Mine did, so I zip-tied them to a solid point (you might have to get creative in figuring out a way to keep them from moving.)

This method worked well for me and I noticed that an annoying rattle I heard coming from my passenger side went away. I hope this helps.

#82 ·
The first post should be updated:

The interior front door rattles on my car are from the hard plastic map pockets (door bins?) vibrating from the sound coming out of the door speakers. It completely stops when I place my hand on the outside edge of the bin. Not sure how to rectify this....

#84 ·
Take it to the dealer, they basically put round foam "washers" around each of the mounting points of the door panel, and the rattle will go away. I also had an electrical connector that was hitting the handle which sounded like it was coming from the map area, the dealer wrapped the connector in foam tape and no more rattle from that door.

#85 ·
Multiple rattles fixed today

I had my TDi in for it's 20k mile the other day and asked the dealer to fix a rattle coming from the passenger side rear seat/c-pillar area. Of course they couldn't reproduce it. It rattled at me as I drove away, then my driver's door and front passenger door rattles chimed in. I drove to Michael's (arts and crafts store) and bought a couple sheets of adhesive backed felt. pulled all of my trim panels and loaded up the backs of them with felt. Snapped them back on and drove around with heavy bass on rough roads.

Rattles are gone.

Tap on the ends of the trim panels and see what they sound like. Before felt: snappy crack sound | After felt: dull thud.

#87 ·
I seem to have the "Rustling leaves" problem, but it doesn't happen all the time. It seems to only happen when i pull into my driveway and even then it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Either way, is this something that should be fixed asap as I'm leaving on a road trip in a couple days?

This post has been deleted
#90 ·
Does anyone else with a sunroof have a headliner rattle? I spent a few hours today trying to locate the it, I found the spot and can make the rattle happen, but cant fix it.....yet.
(I have the headliner recall done, it only fixes sagging headliner at the rear door)

Anyway the rattle is in the headliner between the sunroof and the front doors (driver and passenger side) I can tap the headliner and make the noise happen. After removing the grab handle and part of the B pillar still cant seem to get up under the headliner without damaging it. You can sort of get into the area by opening the sunroof and going in from the gap where the sun sits closed, but my bear claws dont fit. I stuffed some pillow batting in there with no success. I want to say that the source may be from the curtain air bag assemblies. I also think if I can stuff a piece of felt in there I could solve the problem, but cant get there.
I can leave the sunroof visor (whatever its tech name is) half closed and it makes the rattle less but doesnt solve the issue.

Has anyone successfully removed the B pillar? I think that could be my ticket. I can only take off the lower half. I cant figure out how to get the top half free and Im a little afraid of the curtain air bags.

I took it to the dealer for its 10k service and mentioned the rattle and they drove it and said they couldnt hear anything:mad: I guess they are deaf........... The dealership is useless. I understand they cant go chasing every little rattle for every anal customer, but I was frustrated in the lack of care they showed to me. There are other rattles in the car that I didnt even mention, rattles I can live with, but this one is ridiculous! I wasnt being unreasonable or a picky unpleasable customer.

#259 ·
2013 JSW Sun roof rattle Also

COMMENT

Been to the Dealer twice, First tech could not hear the noise. Second dealer visit Shop Forman rode with me and could hear the noise. Not fixed yet and a pain so far for a new car and my first VW. Saw an Audi TSB taking about lubing / cleaning the sun roof sliding surfaces. VW dealer did lube surfaces but atm the noise has gotten worse after they worked on it. :sly:

#92 ·
headliner recall

I had the issue with my headliner sagging down in the rear. Dealer said it was faulty glue from the factory. It created at rattle and was easily visible. It was actually brought to my attention by a guy tinting my car. Dealership reglued the headliner but I continue to monitor it. I also had the sub rattle and used the tennis ball fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.