VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Starting on my 16vT/ABA

10K views 43 replies 9 participants last post by  Moshua 
#1 · (Edited)
These are the items i have at the moment and looking to get some direction/guidance from those that have done it before. This is my first real motor build. 1997 VW Cabrio manual 2.0 w/ABA is what is currently in the car.

I'm going for a High Boost Build Built to last and take my abuse.

These are the parts i have collected so far:

Engine & Internals

ARP head studs
2.0L 16v fully assembled head.
Early OBD1 block with forged crank and oil squirters
Oil Pan with Oil return bung (sloppily welded from PO)
Oil Windage Tray
Stock OBD2 ABA Pistons (6x) and Rods (may look into getting these shot peened, was there a forged ABA pistons/rod?)
A few spare ABA pistons OBD2
ABA Head gasket

Intake & Exhaust-

16v Scirocco Intake manifold, upper and lower
2.5" Autotech SS exhaust with Cat delete/ res and Magnaflow muffler

Belts & Pulleys-

Milled ABA Crank Pulley for correct fitment for 16v application
16v ABF intermediate shaft

Fuel & Spark-
I'm still not sure exactly what i need on this but i think i may go with the
1.8t Fuel Rail
42# injectors
Chipped ecu with c2 software if they have an application for my specific build i can tune? or
Megasquirt (i don't know much about this but seems popular for the standalones)

Accessories/Misc
I will be keeping AC and all my mk3 Accesories from the motor i'm pulling out hopefully.
MK3 Tesioner Bracket
MK3 Alternator
ABA Crank Pulley

Car motor will be going into.

So am i going in the right direction. What are some key items i am missing? I have a stock 1.8t Mk4 smic i will be using for intercooling for now. I hope to reach numbers somewhere in the 250-300 whp range. Motor will be tied to a mk4 1.8t trans if plans work out accordingly. Thanks for any help i'll be very appreciative of any constructive/destructive criticism.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice build. As far pistons. Use early OBD-1 pistons, they are fully dish, don't use the later ones with squish area. Dish has less of tapping the valves with 16v setup at higher rpm The other route is rebush the rods to fit 2.0 16v pistons. 8v dish pistons will yield around 8.5 cr, and rebush 16v pistons will yield 9:3 cr. Use aba head gasket bc it's all metal. You should use 16v intermite shaft with 16v oil pump setup. Less hassle buying and modify stuff there. You might need bigger injectors if trying reach 300whp. More like 42# injectors. Nice build again. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Am I going to run into any issues with having an obd1 block and possibly running on obd2 ecu?

Also if you guys have any of the smaller pieces I'm missing please feel free to shoot me a message and I'll help you clean your garages out

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
Is wasted spark ignition a waste? I've been discussing management with a few friends and I'm trying to figure out the best system for running coil on plug and coilpack systems. I'm new to all this so please bear with me. Wouldn't an ignition system operate more optimally if you are only firing spark at correct timing of each cylinder rather than wasting power on a dead cylinder

#11 ·
Coilpack IS wasted spark. And while waste spark systems are not quite as efficient as coil per cylinder systems they blow the doors off a distributor ignition. Megasquirt can be configured to run just about ANY ignition and an MS3/3X is plug and play with GM LS coils which produce more spark energy than anything else that is readily available. Do keep in mind that for true sequential coil per cylinder you'll need a cam signal as well as a crank signal. Again this is all very doable with a Megasquirt 2 or Megasquirt 3 (easiest with the MS3).

#12 ·
Found these Audi r8 coilpacks for $16 I'm going to use. Which means I may need to modify my intake a bit so that I can have an open valve cover. Possibly modify a 1.8t intake or purchase a short runner designed for 16v head

#14 ·
i have 2 sets of the early aba pistons and 1 extra sets of 9a pistons.ill give them to you if youneed them just pay shipping.i believe that theaba pistons need machining to clear the intake valves in a 16v application.
Thanks again man, this guy made good on his word

soon as i get some of my gaskets and other smaller items in order i will be able to begin assembly

#18 ·
Yeah I'd like to get everything all painted and looking good before the motor all comes together. Aka polish accessories and get some items polished

Btw im running the c2 stage 2 chip and it works spot on

I've heard good and bad

this will fit an aba with a 16v head.with stock 16v timing pulleys?
I'm not sure I know some 1.8t timing belt works. Not sure on the specifics. I have a modified ABA pulley that was milled down

#22 ·
timing belt

the 1.8t timing belt has 150 teeth.the abf is a aba 16v in europe.thats basicly what we are doing.it has 151 teeth.so if you run an adjustable timing pulley or run the car slightly retarded it will work but ive found places that sell the abf belt for alot less so id go with the correct belt.

#34 ·
I'm not sure if i need one yet. i have the 16v cam gear that was on the head and a modified aba crank pulley so things should line up alright but we shall see if i can get it timed correctly.

Also I NEED some verification whether i will need to make valve reliefs in the early obd1 ABA pistons?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.