VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask...

1M views 8K replies 1K participants last post by  GreenandChrome 
#1 ·
go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask...

b/c you'd think people would make fun of you.
driving on a small 2 lane hwy the other day when i approached a small town. there was a big sign that said Brake Retardation Prohibited
brake retardation? what does that mean???
bill

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (jebglx)

Do you really not know, or are you being silly?

Brake Retardation = No Jake Brakes, although they could have come up with a better sign. Suprised they are not being sued for emotional distress by the ADA (Autos with Disabilties Association)

#6 ·
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (Uranium235)

uh...jake brakes
?
i really don't know

bill

#10 ·
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (jebglx)

Quote, originally posted by jebglx »
uh...jake brakes
?
i really don't know

bill

Never fear, Mr. Cho: Google is your friend.
Quote »
The Jake Brake takes its name from the manufacturer who invented the most common implementation of the technology, the Jacobs Company.
The Jake brake is an add-on engine brake for diesel engines. Big semi trailers, the 18 wheel trucks that move everything we use, can weigh as much as 80,000 pounds. Stopping them or slowing them down results in a great deal of wear on the brakes, which have to be replaced frequently. The Jake brake, as an engine system, causes no wear and tear and can help slow the truck before the wheel brakes need to be applied. Its primary use is on long downhill grades where the wheel brakes would otherwise have to be frequently pumped to keep the truck from gaining dangerous speed.
When the driver presses a button in the cab to activate the device, two things happen. First, the switch excites the engine brakes' solenoids. By itself, this would help only a little but it is necessary for the second step. What happens inside of the engine goes roughly like this.
As a four-stroke internal combustion engine, each piston in a diesel normally moves up and down twice in each cycle. For the nit-pickers out there, there are many two-stroke diesel trucks on the road as well. The process begins when the fuel and air valves are closed and the piston moves upward. This compresses the air in the cylinder to as much as 25 times atmospheric pressure. This is much higher compression than a gasoline engine (typically ten times atmospheric pressure) and results in the air getting very hot, about 900 degrees Fahrenheit. At this time fuel is sprayed into the superheated air which immediately begins burning. The second stroke, the power stroke, is the downward movement of the piston as fuel burns. The third stroke is an upward movement with the exhaust valve open to clear out the combustion products while the fourth stroke refills the cylinder with air.
The Jake brake completely changes all this, redefining what the valves do as each piston moves up and down. With the fuel flow terminated, the upward moving first stroke still compresses the air to very high pressure. As we said above, this transfers mechanical energy into heat as the air becomes highly compressed. If nothing else were done, most of this energy would be recovered, except for frictional losses, as the cylinder moved back down and the compressed air expanded. The Jake brake, however, opens the exhaust valve just as the air reaches maximum compression, dumping all of that energy in an almost instantaneous explosive release. The result is a very effective slowing of the vehicle as mechanical energy is converted to heat and then dumped. The Jake brake effectively transforms the internal combustion engine into an air compressor.
It has only one drawback: it is very noisy. You may have heard a semi use the Jake brake without realizing what it was. Sometimes when a truck is approaching a stop sign or stop light it suddenly emits a load roar, very much like a large lawnmower, for five or ten seconds. It is the noise that is causing many towns to ban the use of the Jake brake. Even though tests have shown the decibel level to be about as loud as a large lawnmower, at night or early morning the low frequencies seem to carry a long distance and are very noticeable.
Because it extends the life of wheel brakes and saves money, trucking companies generally lobby against the bans and some towns are compromising by allowing the Jake brake to be used in daylight hours. Yet more and more signs, with the words Jake Brake and the international symbol for "banned", are certain to appear. Since the primary use of the Jake brake is to slow the truck on long downhill grades, the technology will continue to be widely adopted for use on the open road.

#11 ·
Re: go ahead...ask those car questions you were always afraid to ask... (texture)

Quote, originally posted by texture »
what the heck are jake brakes???

ok, I know *what* these are and generally how they work, but can someone post up some pics and a general tech description of the jake brake/engine brake? I've always wanted to understand how it worked - though apparently I'm too lazy to actually search it out.

#12 ·
Re: (Vayhemar)

Quote, originally posted by Vayhemar »
If you had the manufacturing/fabricating means available, could you put a turbo on any engine? Say, a 22RE? And I mean a big turbo, like something off a tractor trailer.

With enough time, money and skill, anything is possible.
That setup would have horrible lag, however. How about a triple turbo setup for your 22RE, a small one for the low end, transition to a medium one for the midrange, then feed into a rig turbo for pure silliness

#2,962 ·
I could use a history lesson......
Why do we have steering wheels on the left hand side/Europe, etc. has it on the right......(who decided to differ and for what reason)........
Something to do with the steering wheel side always being in the centre of the road?. Perhaps U.S cart and buggy operators always used the right hand side to drive on when roads got paved and they passed each other head on on the right?

If because most of Europe drove on the left, the steering wheel is on the right(centre of road) and buggy transition to car kept on the right hand side of the road, the steering wheel (for safety reasons) had to stay on the centre, which being the left hand side of the car?

Actually, Germanys cars are left handed also are'nt they?, As an ex-pat, I never lived in the U.K POST Chunnel, so I never got to drive from U.K to France, then Germany, So I don't know what really happens once you've gone through?

#15 ·
Re: (AutobahnTDI)

Quote, originally posted by AutobahnTDI »
If you ever see a sign that says "no jake brakes" take a photo and send it to Jacobs. It's a copywrite infringement and they don't like their company getting a bad reputation.

Most places just say something to the extent of "Use of engine brakes prohibited." I've never seen them use the actual term "Jake Brake" on a road sign.

#24 ·
Re: (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »

HAZardous MATerial

I knew that just testing you guys
....although me and my dad for a while when i was younger had no idea what it was....we thought the sign was talking about thosa luggage carriers on top of some cars

#25 ·

Its not really a car question but i dont care, this has been driving me nuts:
What does it mean when someone says 'bump' on a thread? They usually do it when someone is selling something but they do it at other times too which is keeping me from figuring it out from the context.
Thanks a million
Craig