VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A Thread of My Own: Jettsy's Progression(Pic Heavy)

16K views 108 replies 36 participants last post by  REDGLI2012 
#1 · (Edited)
The purpose of this thread is for me to keep track of what im doing to my car in a bit of a timeline. If you have any questions/comments good or bad feel free to chime in. :cool:
Ill add links to stuff where possible. I apologize for the sub-par photos most were taken with an Iphone not my SLR

The day I fell in love with the car:heart: (showroom model) 2011 Jetta SE with Conv.

When I brought it home (came tinted with monster mats, cargo blocks/liner)

First thing I did was vinyl wrap my rear emblem and add a (non oem) lip spoiler

Next step was to throw some LEDs all-around:

I found the Rcd-310 to be a bit boring so I decided it needed replacing. Got a great deal on an RCD-510 on Ebay.

Next up was some fresh new wheels. Got a great deal from a fellow vortex member on his 18'' Autobahn wheels.

I enjoy a more aggressive wheel so I picked up a GLI paddle shift wheel. Feels great, and all controls have been coded to work.

Got some carbon vinyl from ebay for cheap and wrapped the door cards only. Easy to do and helps set the interior apart and unique.

My fascination with my interior furthered when I got the itch to upgrade my RCD-510 to an RNS-510 nav unit.

Tint wrapped the side mirrors for a more subtle look and added chrome grill

Vagcom:

Enabled comfort windows via remote
Increased comfort turn signals to 5
removed horn confirmation on lock
enabled full MFD:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5660041-HUGE-DISCOVERY-Activate-Full-MFD-on-your-MK6

Near future:
Projector retrofit
Some kind of suspension *cash strapped*
rear view camera
engine stuff.
possibly a euro/gli bumper

:wave:

See less See more
#4 ·
:thumbup: Like the way the chrome looks on the upper grill, while the bottom is still black.
Thanks for looking

not sure how I feel about it myself. its just 3m chrome trim I had laying around almost took it off earlier today but figured I would wait until next wash to make sure it comes off clean.

The front emblem likely is staying chrome though not a fan of how it blends with the black grill.

#11 ·
Ive heard you can do that but i would highly recommend you dont. Mine is US spec...you can get a used one for about 800 if you look enough...maybe even less ;)

Do the paddle shift buttons actually work with the standard auto transmission? I've heard this will only work with the DSG.
Works fine. the "dsg" paddle shifter is just a marketing ploy...all it does is shift your tiptronic regardless of engine type. If you have tiptronic, you can have paddles.

#23 ·
Officially out of the box, yes. You can buy 500 dollar aftermarket adapters but that's pointless.

rns-510 can play DVD,camera,nav, phonebook, with 5 inch display

Rns-315 can do back up camera, nav, phone book display, and 3 inch display

rcd-510 is just a radio with sat. Newer models have hd and phone book display. 5 inch display (euro models have camera input)

#26 ·
ive used cheap-O ebay leds for months without a hitch :thumbup:

Search on ebay and buy the cheapest ones. They do take forever ever to arrive though since they come from china.

I just buy extra sets to have in case since there so cheap:thumbup:

#46 ·
I sorry. Shouldn't have assumed! :(

Jettsy, planning on any DIY for the back up cam or RNS-510??:laugh:
Seeing as how all the other DIY's ive seen don't do the best job explaining the connections, YES. I'll snap a bunch of pics along the way too:thumbup:

Ill probably have my parts sometime next week.:beer:

Car looks great! So is the nav a plug and play deal? Do you need anything else, like antenna or other modules? Does it also display on your MFD?
Thanks! Nav is plug and play for the most part. You do need a GPS antenna which is a couple bucks if you dont get it with your radio. You may need to code steering wheel controls as only half of mine worked. Some peoples will just work out the gate. (Its always better to code your radio regardless if its "plug-n-play" or not)

Also only shows in MFD for gli's since they have a full screen mfd:thumbup:

Tell me no one else caught this!! When you see it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.