VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

DIY: VCDS (Vag-Com) for Beginners

576K views 397 replies 156 participants last post by  renqu 
#1 · (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: The following guide, technique, images, screenshots, dialogue, instructions, requests, and information in this thread are not guaranteed, warrantied, or ensured to work on all vehicles, your vehicle, or any vehicle. Users proceed at their own risk. Poster is not responsible for any errors, accidents, negligent or reckless behavior, or any other behavior conducted by the user regarding any information in this thread.

After looking through this thread here I realized that while there is a lot of great information in that thread, unless you are handy with VCDS, or know how it works, most of that will fly right over people's heads. For those of you that don't own VCDS, you will rely on a local person or shop to take care of the coding for you, and it is likely that they won't know how to do this stuff without looking it up.

So...I tried to make it a little bit easier for people to get their desired results. The codings that I used applies to my JSW (no fogs, no xenons) so those that are similarly equipped, these will work for you as well. For those with GTIs/Golfs with fogs and/or xenons, things will be somewhat different and the original thread can be resourced for the differences...

Table of Contents
1. Central electronics
2. Instruments

First and foremost, I am assuming that you have a vagcom cable and VCDS setup on a laptop/desktop. For help regarding this, contact the friendly and helpful staff at Ross-Tech.

Secondly, thanks to everyone at Ross-Tech for their cables, software, and love for everything that is modification. :D

See less See more
#172 ·
DRL toggle via MFI works on my 2011 Golf TDI (US). Once it worked, with my e-brake released I can literally turn the light on and off by mashing "OK" on the right side of my steering wheel. Cent Elect info for what its worth:

Code:
Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
   Part No SW: 1K0 937 086 L    HW: 1K0 937 086 L
   Component: BCM PQ35  M   104 0615  
   Revision: 00104 AE

#179 ·
No. One click is used to lock the doors, and unlock the doors.

#180 ·
Ohh.. i see.. Then only the second click will close the windows.. Thanks for the quick replay :)
I have another one regarding the section F in page 1 on COMFORT LIGHT BLINKING AND CHANGE NUMBER OF BLINKS, for some reason i can find the COMFORT BLINK HIGHWAY.
i loged on to the 09-CENT-ELECT. and pressed LONG CODING, and search for that byte, but there is nothing... for now, I can't change that 3 blinks... :(

i have a SEAT LEON 2007 TFSI

#184 ·
That is the problem, i dont see it in LONG CODE... could it be i have different controller? it seem i have the COMFORT BLINK seens it blinks for 3 times... weird...
I bought the cable and software few days ago , probably i'm missing something...

Thanks to all responders :) i hope you all could help me figure this out....

#185 ·
hey guys,

i just went out this morning and ran a bunch of stuff through VCDS. Cluster staging worked, window key fob stuff worked. I had done DRL last weekend without issue.

NOW...

When I went and tried to change my comfort blinking from 3 to 5, nothing happened. i followed the same coding procedures as described on the first page, but nothing changed. I went back and checked the coding to make sure something funny didnt happen, but ended up making the byte the same as default, but leaving the "adaptation" at 5 (same result as before) until i can figure it out.

ALSO...

I attempted to change the lock/unlock feature when the car is started/not started. i dont know if this is because i have KESSY, but again, nothing happened here. IN FACT, i had it set through the MFI that when the front door was opened and the car was off, all doors unlocked. i cant even get that to work anymore. I left the coding in the non-working state that it is currently in, since I doubt it will affect anything.

does anyone have any ideas about this? Anyone with 2011 Autobahn's experiencing the issue?

#187 ·
Yes, that is in this thread, I'll add it to the OP in a bit...

Using the MFD (the screen in the center of your cluster) you need to go into settings, and reset the lighting to factory defaults. After that, you are good to go. :thumbup: :thumbup:

#188 · (Edited)
Accually, the thing with the windows lock, i've managed to do on second click, just HOLD the second click and then release when you see it is going up!! :)

The only problem is with this darn blinker!
It seems the Golf and the Leon doesnt have the same controller... :(
My MFD has two rows .. numbers/data only .. cant change a thing...
my Seat Leon is 1P model if it says something to you...

#193 ·
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I've got a 2011 GTI and was able to get everything I wanted to work without any trouble. The Staging instructions I found weren't accurate (probably software version issues, I'm using 10.6), but they were close enough to get me to a sub-menu where the option was easy to find.

My blog post with more info.

#194 ·
:thumbup: :thumbup:

#195 ·
Is it possible to get the LEDs in the headlights to be on at the same thime as the foglights?
or if it is possible to get foglight/parklights and the rear lights to be on with the switch on AUTO?

Ive also been searching for a list of all the different bits on the BCM but i cant find any, does it excist for the golf VI?

#199 ·
#196 ·
Euro parking light

Does anyone know where I can enable the euro parking light. This is where I hit the signal stalk, and it keeps the light on depending on the side you hit the stalk (i.e hit left, and only left side of the car lights up, hit right, and only right). I heard another member had this done on his '11 Jetta, but am unable to get in touch with him. Thanks!

#197 ·
Does anyone know where I can enable the euro parking light. This is where I hit the signal stalk, and it keeps the light on depending on the side you hit the stalk (i.e hit left, and only left side of the car lights up, hit right, and only right). I heard another member had this done on his '11 Jetta, but am unable to get in touch with him. Thanks!
Never heard of this.

#202 ·
As do I. Mine works just fine. On my buddy's it seems to timeout and unable to read any data withing 09-Cent.Electr. Everything shows up blank and grayed out. We both have '11 DSG GTI's. The only difference is I have the nav headunit and his is the basic model. I did do an autoscan first before tinkering with anything. Everything came up normal.

#207 ·
Thanks for everyone contribution, DIY are great on this thread.

I made up most of my wanted mods using Vag Com, except one:

where can I modify the program, to switch off all the lights (headlight, high beam, fog etc etc) when I remove the key from ignition ?

I like to have all lights switched ON during long daylight trip since it's safer, but would like to make sure they are always off when I park the car.

Any idea or link for this one ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.