VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Project Madonna

517K views 3K replies 238 participants last post by  Patrick@Spintech 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT/UPDATE (8/8/12) THREAD PAGE OF CONTENTS:

Pg. 1: Introduction and pictures of the car.
Pg. 2 (CLICK): Custom trunk set-up w/ hardwood floors
Pg. 3 (CLICK) : Beginning of custom trunk lid build (shave lid and moulded lip) | Pictures of inner lip/strut clearance with BBS LM's
Pg. 4 (CLICK): Random pictures and information
Pg. 5 (CLICK): Trunk lid primed | Front fenders rolled and pulled (car sitting pretty once again) | Pictures of car aired out on stock 17" wheels
Pg. 6 (CLICK): Porsche Hollow Spoke Twists arrive | Trunk finished, painted, and installed
Pg. 7 (CLICK): Blahhhhh!
Pg. 8 (CLICK): Night time marina photoshoot! (Pictures, pictures, pictures!)
Pg. 9 (CLICK): Big decision made! Time to go BIG TURBO! Parts start being ordered!
Pg. 10-14 (CLICK): Pictures from "King of the Streets" and Private track day rental at Palm Beach International Raceway | A bunch of parts being ordered and delivered, including Stage 3+, cylinder head, Porsche Twists go on, and much more!
Pg. 15 CLICK: Peloquin Differential arrives, LED DRL's installed, start disassembly of Work Meisters..
Pg. 16 CLICK: More dissassembly of Work wheels, cylinder head port complete, more parts arrive..
Pg. 17-18 CLICK: More parts arrive, Twists are sold, motor is out and build begins..
Pg. 19-21 CLICK: Work wheels refinish complete, more on the motor build, more parts arrive..
Pg. 22-23 CLICK: More build complete (for the time being), head work blues, car is running again, DYNO VIDEOS and DYNO graph..still more power to be made

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I think this is my first thread of vortex..used to spend most of my time over on AZ..just recently sold b6 s4, and picked up a GLI..haven't posted any pictures yet, so I figured I'd share..there just some quick shots I took after the rain..full shoot to come soon..

here is my previous car..b6 s4:

and here is the GLI:

See less See more
#1,053 ·
Thanks a bunch buddy. :):beer:

Quick update: Ordered new solid axles from Raxles. They should be here tomorrow, and we should be ready to rip by the end of the week hopefully. Same axles APR is using on their race cars, so hopefully they hold up this time. They're solid, not hollow, so that should help.

#1,144 ·
nice! Congrats on the GLI! What part of CT r u from?

#1,068 · (Edited)
Yea I got a new hose. Lol

Pic of axle!

Damn, so it basically just sheared in half? That's crazy..Does DSS have a lifetime warranty like Raxle? Or...

You got it! Just texted you! Congrats on the daily driver too! :beer:
Thanks! :D and thanks! :D :beer: So when is that GLI getting slammed? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Your car is so fresh, it's getting love from hondur kids!

http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=47753090&postcount=1456
Hahahaha, whaaaa....how did you find that? And how did they find it? lol. :snowcool:

Edit: just found a few others, lol:
http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=47672503&postcount=1451
http://honda-tech.com/showpost.php?p=47672502&postcount=1450

and then i got tired of searching through the rest of the pages, haha.

#1,072 ·
I wish. :( I want my car back so bad. It's still chilling at USP. It will probably be there for a few more days, some new goodies going in. ;)

Bads news is I found out not only my axle broke, but it looks like my BSH torque arm mount took a dump as well. Mike over at USP said the bolt ripped right out of the transmission. I'm assuming it's the torque arm, but I'll have to double check on that tomorrow. :( Not good at all.

So that means more downtime, and more headaches. Ugh.

Here are a few pics of the broken OEM axle and a quick shot of the Raxle axles.

They're red. How pretty. :heart::cool::D

#1,078 ·
seriously dude. When I saw them, I was like "what the hell?"....just twisted like a pretzel. Check out the pictures below.

how much were the raxles? And would you be able to air out the fronts with these or they still similar in size to the oem that you cant?
Raxles were abut 1k. The fronts can be aired out on OEM axles as well, you just have to notch the frame on passenger's side. The Raxle axles are a little smaller in diameter but they're solid instead of hollow.

Here's a few pictures of the OEM one out.

And I found this note on my desk at work the other day. What an awesome brother I have. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

#1,082 ·
have you been notched since air ride was installed. The only thing I would think is that maybe you took a hard bump and the axle hit the frame prior to the notch ....just a thought because you notice it twisted where you were rubbing. maybe once you pull all that extra torque:laugh: it found that weakness. regardless, those raxles should serve you well.

#1,088 ·
driver's side i am aired out completely..on the passenger side, you can't tell but there's still about 20psi left..and at 20psi, the axle is alerady pushing the turbo outlet hose..i did it just to take these last picutres of my car on air and with the Works..in fact it's the only time i have ever aired out my car completely after the big turbo install...that hose is definitely an issue, and unfortunately there is no way around it..the first time i tried to air out the car at my house, i lifted the car, put a camera underneath to watch the hose, and when i slowly aired out that side, i could hear the axle rubbing against the hose. It sounded as if the axle was putting pressure on the hose and causing it to slip off the turbo. I'd hate to say it, but you're going to have to be careful, specially if you're notched. I'm not sure if the GTI is any different than GLI, but I doubt there's a huge difference..

#1,091 ·
Right? It was ridiculous. When I saw it I thought to myself: Huh? :screwy::screwy:

It's crazy how torquey these TSI motors are actually..unlike most 4 cylinder JDM's that lack torque. Ahhh, the beauty of German enginering. :)

And thank you! Never dude..sometimes stuff like the car breaking down and not working like you want is upsetting, but it's all part of the game. It's all worth it in the end. I absolutely LOVE my car.:heart: And I have to say..that wasn't my exact feeling when I first bought it..I've grown to love it wayyyyyy more now.

Next plans for the car are:

-Bags out, KW V3's in. (ordered)
-Supaloy S3 lower control arms with polyurethane bushings and anti-lift kit (ordered)
-APR front and rear sway bars (ordered)
-adjustable endlinks (already have)
-race end links for rear sway bars (still have to order)
-race alignment and corner balance

And I think that's it for now. I'm considering my track wheels. Maybe 8.5's all around with 245's or 255's....hhhmmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

#1,092 ·
Patrick, love your new daily:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:! Next summer I'm gonna try to make some money and get an early 00's GLI to practice stick on and have a bit of fun with. How'd you find one in that kind of shape?

#1,093 ·
Thanks buddy! :thumbup::beer:

Sounds like a good idea. Mk4's are one of my favorite era VW's, specially the GLI's! I got lucky on this one. A buddy of my friend works at Gunther VW as a tech. The car was his, and he had originally bought it for his daughter. So he went through everything on the car, even replaced the motor and tranny to make sure everything was working properly. Got all the receipts and documentation, which is sweet, too. :D But I guess his daughter wanted something else, so I ended up taking it off his hands. :snowcool:

#1,095 ·
Hey Alexi! What's good man? I haven't talked to you in forever. Yeah man, I got rid of the S4 a little less than a year ago, and I've since been working on the MK6. Thanks buddy! :beer::thumbup:

How's the MK4 doing?

And quick update on the car..just got word from USP that she just hit 470, and climbing...yeahhhhh buddy.:cool:

#1,096 ·
470 damn!!! If only you could pop wheelies on the drag strip with fwd haha, but seriously my 200hp feels fast. Also, if you got that awesome blue GLI as your new daily what happened to your X5? I love that even more :D

#1,100 ·
Yessir. Haha, popping a wheelie with fwd, now that would be something. X5 is still happily sitting at home. She's not going anywhere. ;) I just wanted a daily beater, that I wouldn't have to worry about so much, and that I could just throw miles on like no tomorrow. :)

got the head working properly?
Nope, not yet. :( Still waiting on the machine shop. Car is still on stock head. It's amazing how most of these machines shops just do whatever they want! I swear...it's at the most a two day job..two full days. And still, they manage to stretch it out to months. It's crazy. I don't even know how they survive. They are in no way THAT busy. A head only takes a day to two at the most. I can never understand that. Every experience I've ever had with a machine shop has been the same thing.

It's still running, so I can't complain haha. Debating on selling it and picking up a MKV GLI in the next month or two. But, not quite sure yet. Next time I'm back in PBC I need to come check that thing out man. Would love to see it in person.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Haha, that's good. Can't complain there dude. MKV GLI sounds like a great idea, do it! Have you found a specific one, or still searching? Yeah bro, please do. Next time you're around hit me up! Where are you now, going to school?

470??? holy crap! congrats man! i forgot, is this with w/m or no?
Thanks buddy! Hopefully we can squeeze a little bit more out of it. No w/m for now. :cool:

#1,102 ·
Chris' secret, he won't even tell me dude. He made some modifications to the fuel system, which I have yet to find out what the hell it is. And then more tuning, and tuning. It was one of those: "Do you trust me? If you do, just give me your car and don't ask questions" type of thing. So, that's what I did. Lol..I'm still trying to get it out of them. Whatever it is, it's working. I'm still waiting on an update. :popcorn: ANXIOUSLY!

#1,110 ·
Thanks buddy!

Since I don't have any huge updates to post quite yet, be sure to check out ProjectMadonna.com >> Tell your friends about, tell your brothers, sisters, girlfriends, boyfriends, parents, wife, husband, aunts and uncles, cousins, neighbors, neighbor's dogs, mailman, milk man, zephyrhills water man, or anyone else. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'll be posting more up soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.