VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The Best-Looking Pontiac Ever Built Was...

50K views 131 replies 89 participants last post by  greatfox 
#1 ·
(drumroll.........)

...the 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix is my choice for the most beautiful Pontiac ever built. Sleek, bold, voluptuously sculptured, and a major trendsetter (although none of its imitators ever achieved the original's clean and almost austere, gimmick-free elegance), it still knocks me out whenever I see one. The SJ model (so cool that Pontiac used the Duesenberg tag), with its deep-dish wheels and concentric hubcaps, was a fantastic looking car that photographs just don't do justice to. Plus, even the interior was a look into the future, with its wraparound instrument panel that BMW would be celebrated for after they copied it years later.

John Z. Delorean ran Pontiac then, and the all-new '69 GP was his swansong at Pontiac, after a decade under his leadership that saw Pontiac become THE styling leader of the automobile industry. After this car, Pontiac went into a decline that didn't end until its death a few years ago.

I'm throwing in a photo of the first Grand Prix, from 1962, to show how the GP started out beautiful, and stayed that way, at least until '69:

Now, let the disagreements begin! :laugh::thumbup:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Mmmmmm, I really really hate nearly all Pontiacs for their cheapness and ultimate crappiness, but the only car that brand has ever released that has gotten my total approval was the G8. It's just so badass and properly awesome. ...and this is coming from a guy who bleeds fuel economy and diesel. If this thing came in manual, I would be fapping right now, this very moment, as you're reading this.

#3 · (Edited)
Mmmmmm, I really really hate nearly all Pontiacs for their cheapness and ultimate crappiness, but the only car that brand has ever released that has gotten my total approval was the G8. It's just so badass and properly awesome. ...and this is coming from a guy who bleeds fuel economy and diesel.

Curious...does your distaste for Pontiacs actually extend all the way back to the marque's origins, or is it confined to the later models? Pontiacs were for many years celebrated for their high quality of both engineering and for their excellent construction quality. Are we forgetting that there was life before the 21st century? :)

Additionally, my thread here was started not as an overall assessment of PMD's ultimate goodness or awfulness. I love design, and simply like to start up conversations about that subject. Even if it needed a jumpstart every 50 yards, the '69 Grand Prix would still rate an "A+" grade from me for its aesthetics. I hope we can stick to the subject, then.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#15 ·
I always preferred the 1964 GTO. I like the cleanliness of the design - it's classically early 1960's before things got all cartoonish, bloated and brash. There's little in the way of adornment on the slab sides and in the nose, the silly beak is not as prevalent as in later cars - at this point its just a nice styling touch that sets the Pontiac line apart. The subtle sweep of the roof where it meets the quarter is a very nice touch. I also love the thin, delicate pillars. Over all its linear, simple, clean, compact and very modern with just a hint of what might lurk under the bonnet. :):beer:

#27 ·
Sorry, but I think Pontiacs without stacked headlights aren't that pretty.

This, however;

Is a pretty Pontiac. Though I still wouldn't call them pretty. To find pretty Pontiacs, you must go back a couple more decades. How about some Torpedo 8 action?

Chris

#33 ·
Not really "beautiful" but distinctive and for its time, pretty tasteful, was the '58 Pontiac, especially from the rear. They eschewed the tailfins of the time and instead had nicely integrated, handsome taillamps with a kind of sexy looking "hood" atop them. I like these Ponchos v. muchly.

#40 · (Edited)

not even as good looking as the car that preceded it, there is a 69 for sale here that I thought about going to show interest in, but they really just aren't good looking cars, to be fair though, even the true full size Pontiacs were ugly in 69, 70 and 71 too really. by 68 the real best looking Pontiacs produced were the Tempest/LeMans/GTO triplets.
there's always this too

If nothing else it's better looking to me

#42 ·
I think the following vehicle is the absolute pinnacle of GM engineering....I am shocked that nobody has not posted this vehicle...It's something that I personally feel has been under appreciated by the automotive world.

I am going to start a letter writing campaign to the Concours d'Elegance to have one admitted this year at Pebble Beach.

(ducking and running now)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.