VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Casperslost's R build thread.

33K views 262 replies 48 participants last post by  casperslost 
#1 · (Edited)
My name is Josh and this is a record if the mods done to my R. I have shortened this post to be easier to view.

[/URL]

Engine
APR Stage 3
APR HPFP
APR FMIC
APR Boost Tap
APR Stage 3 Downpipe
Scorpion Catback Exhaust W/ Resonator
Forge "Twintake" mated to APR Stage 3 Intake piping
South Bend Stage 3 Daily Clutch W/ Lightweight Flywheel
HPA Short Shifter
HPA 75A Core Interlock Mount
OEM Audi TT-S engine cover custom painted by - Pats Paint Werks

Brakes
CarboTech 1521 Brake Pads
StopTech Slotted Rotors

Suspension
BagYard Bomber series front air struts
BagYard Classic rear sleeve air bags
Dual Viair 400C compressors W/ 5 Gallon aluminum air tank
RideTech Ridepro E3 digital airride management W/ Wireless Remotes
K-Sport Front sway bar endlinks W/ Custom Endlink brackets by - Pats Paint Werks

Audio
JL Audio StealthBox W/ 10W6
JL Audio 500/1 Amplifier
Jl Audio Cleansweep

Interior
PODI Electric Blue Needle Boost Gauge
OEM Euro Headlight Switch
OEM Underseat Drawers
OEM Dash Cubby
OEM Euro Cupholder
LED Interior everything
"R" Seat handle inserts

Exterior
Shaved Front Badge w/ Custom Badgeless Grill
Shaved Side Markers
Shaved Rear Badge
OEM Euro Golf R "Tinted" Tail lights w/ Rear Fog
Color Matched Side Markers by - Pats Paint Werks
Rear Reflectors Painted Gloss Blacked by - Pats Paint Werks

Wheels
Image Billet 11's 18x9
Nitto NeoGen 215/40/18

See less See more
#199 ·
Car looked amazing, didn't get a chance to talk to you the whole weekend though. Too many :beer:'s

Side note: You are crazy for bringing your car into the Helendorf, that place was a madhouse haha. Would not have had my R within 10 feet of all of those people.

#206 ·
It was great to meet you and your wife too! Next year you gotta bring her R32 as well! Dont worry about the 4x4 thing, Low isnt the standard for the R.

I didnt know you got the hpa SS. I need to drive your car next time I see you. Im definately gonna need to put some more $$ into my R. I gots no pic love this weekend cept for Toeballs great pics. lol even beeing at the Unitronic booth. I need to roll harder when I roll with Josh. lol

had so much fun tho. so much fun.:facepalm: :beer: :beer::beer: cant wait for next year. . condo next year Josh? I dunno I still like staying at the helendorf even with the minor mishaps.
Keep in mind i paid for some of the Rs mods by selling mods from the MKV or xfering them over. I love the HPA SS! Easiest mod to install and well worth it, especially HPAs pricing!! You got love too i got a pic of your car at the uni booth!!! Not that i have any skills with a camera... :laugh:

I would prefer a condo, Cheaper, Safer and more grown up!!
We need to talk about your system too. it sounded amazing.
DynAudio makes getting the Loaded R worth every penny!!! With all 4 doors open and the 315 cranked to 30 it sounded crystal clear and amazing and the 10W6 gives you that last bit of WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB!!! Im ready to go back tomorrow!!

#204 ·
I didnt know you got the hpa SS. I need to drive your car next time I see you. Im definately gonna need to put some more $$ into my R. I gots no pic love this weekend cept for Toeballs great pics. lol even beeing at the Unitronic booth. I need to roll harder when I roll with Josh. lol

had so much fun tho. so much fun.:facepalm: :beer: :beer::beer: cant wait for next year. . condo next year Josh? I dunno I still like staying at the helendorf even with the minor mishaps.

#207 ·
awww sweet. I didnt even take a pic of it at the booth lol. I didnt take a single pic of my own car. i was having too much fun. :beer: yea i need to get that short shifter.

#219 ·
Sorry i haven't read my thread in a while. The new fender is a stock one but rolled completely flat and then painted.

I haven't updated in a while but i have done several things over the last few weeks.
Installed Scorpion Catted/Res TBE (Love it!)
Updated tune to APR Stg 2+
Installed Audi TT-S Engine Cover, Then removed it and sent it off for paint.
Installed Euro Cup Holder
Installed Forge FMIC
Installed new drivers fender
Installed OEM Dash Cubby
Installed KSport FSB Endlinks

Im really happy with my car right now. Stage 2+ is awesome it pulls much harder and longer then with just stage 1+. My engine cover should be back by next weekend, in time for Wekfest Texas!

#227 ·
Thanks Dutch!
Every day I see the front of my car I see my Forge Twintercooler glaring at me through the bottom Grille. Yours looks damn fine as well. I'm really glad I ended up going with it.
I am very happy with it. Plan on installing W/M in the next few weeks and then throw it on a dyno shortly there after.

#233 ·
Well another 12/11 build date car with clutch issues... just over 6k miles. Came out of a parking lot on friday and got on it pretty heavily. Shifted to second no problem. Tried to shift to 3rd and no dice at high rpm. Now shifting to 1st 3rd and 5th even at low rpm is very gummy and difficult to engage. I have felt it slip a few times at high rpm in 4/5th but no issues like others have had until this. Will take it to the dealer next time i have a free day.

#234 ·
Ew. I think my build date is 12/11 or 11/11.

#235 ·
Over the last few weeks I have been to the dealer several times. The problem with my shifting turned out to be due to the shift cable getting kinked. The technician said it was caused by the downpipe smashing the cable against the frame. The issues has worked it self out by either the cable straightening back out or bending the surrounding casing to accommodate the newly reshapened cable. At the same trip to the dealership I had them look at my kessy issue I have been having since April.

They said the same thing as the first dealership I took the car to. That they couldn't communicate with the kessy module to reprogram it. Nor could they reset the ecu to stock to eliminate that as the cause. As apr's chips can only be removed by an apr distributor. So I was forced to get the ecu put back to stock. Then they started blaming the wiring i had done to the cecm. Which is all oem led taillights wiring. The dealership was very quick to blame mods for everything so I will no longer be going there for service. I returned to the first dealership and was fortunate to get the best technician they have and was even able to talk to him in great depth. Discribed the issues I have been having and he took a more unbiased look into the issue and replaced the kessy module. Problem solved...

So nice to have kessy back. I have an appointment today to get the chip reinstalled. After being stage II+ and going back to stock is miserable... 5th and 6th is damn near useless aside from cruising.

#238 · (Edited)
Demontrond was the first dealership i went to and they told me the chip was causing communications issues. I took the car to Clearlake and they told me the same thing. I called APR and they confirmed that the chip would have no detrimental effect on the kessy module. Just wanting to alleviate the extra headache i had Pete at ELM remove the chip and took the car back to demontrond as it is the dealership closest to my house in The Woodlands.

When i arrived the guy at the front recognized me from Wekfest Texas and helped me out. They didnt have any availability all day and he went back and talked to the Tech and told me to come back in the afternoon and the tech would make time for me. When i went back the guy let me go back and talk to the technician myself and discribe the issues and what troubleshooting steps i had gone through previously. He told me that the Kessy system is on a completely different canbus system and that the chip would have nothing to do with the issue (Just as i thought).

On a lighter note i wont Best MKVI and Best in Show at a local Euro show this weekend Dubsicles. Didnt get any good pics of my car though :(

The trophy and plaque i won on the right and the trophy i won at the CLVW show back in april for best of show. The plaque on that is the trophy i won for 1st place best VW at wekfest in Austin.

#242 ·
Haven't really decided tbh. I'm happy with stage II+ at the moment. Ill see how big tax returns are and then decide what I'm going to do then. Few more mods to come between now and then though. W/M kit is in my garage waiting for me to get around to installing it. Still debating weather to install it and upgrade to the apr 100oct file or go with maestro7 for a tune more custom suited to the mods I have, vs the box tune. Not being able to switch back to 93oct or even stock if something were to go wrong concerns me. With maestro I believe I should be able to flash back to the stock file or custom 93 file at home. Maestro dyno tune will run me an additional 1k thou. /shrug we shall see after the holidays.

#247 ·
Well its been a while since i updated this and a few things have gone in recently.
APR Stage 3
South Bend Stage 3 Daily Clutch
Carbotech 1521 pads W/ Stoptech slotted rotors.

Few things came off.
Forge Front mount i loved it but with APRs hoses there is no way to make it work without having some custom hoses made.
Scorpion Downpipe. I had a section of pipe made to allow me to mate the APR downpipe to the Scorpion cat back without having to cut or ruin the Scorpion exhaust pieces.
BSH catch can came off and stock PCV went back on. Once the new turbo was on, the car didnt like the catch can at all!

With some cutting we were able to mate the Twintake to the stage 3 piping. I have put about 500 miles on the car so far since the stage 3 install and it doesnt seem to have any issue with the Twintake.

Now i need to modify the TTS engine cover to fit with the huge intake piping and i should be ready for sowo.
Special Thanks to Berk and the guys at DBC Tuning for doing the install!!

#248 ·
Well its been a while since i updated this and a few things have gone in recently.
APR Stage 3
South Bend Stage 3 Daily Clutch
Carbotech 1521 pads W/ Stoptech slotted rotors.

Few things came off.
Forge Front mount i loved it but with APRs hoses there is no way to make it work without having some custom hoses made.
Scorpion Downpipe. I had a section of pipe made to allow me to mate the APR downpipe to the Scorpion cat back without having to cut or ruin the Scorpion exhaust pieces.
BSH catch can came off and stock PCV went back on. Once the new turbo was on, the car didnt like the catch can at all!

With some cutting we were able to mate the Twintake to the stage 3 piping. I have put about 500 miles on the car so far since the stage 3 install and it doesnt seem to have any issue with the Twintake.

Now i need to modify the TTS engine cover to fit with the huge intake piping and i should be ready for sowo.
Special Thanks to Berk and the guys at DBC Tuning for doing the install!!

[/URL]
Damn Josh doin' work! Holy cow! :eek::thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.