VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Golf R or A4?

Golf R or A4?

12K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  FenderR 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I posted this in the Golf R thread, but want to see what A4 people think as well.

I put a deposit at my local dealership for a 2-door Golf R w/Sunroof & Nav (CSG).

I talked them down a few hundred bucks but it seems like most people won't get very low on the price of the R...looking at their invoice and holdbacks, that makes sense...they aren't making a ton on these anyway.

I priced out a 2012 A4 Premium Plus with Sport Package, MMI Nav, and the B&O Stereo System (I hear it's amazing). It looks like there's more budge in the MSRP on the A4.

I'm looking for something sporty, AWD, fairly quick, nice interior, but not super boy-racer.

The appeal of the Audi to me is the massive torque at such a low RPM. With an APR stg I tune, it has almost as much HP and a huge amount more torque than the Golf R. I also hear quattro is quite nice in the snow (I live in new england). I am coming from a WRX and need something nicer. Thoughts? thanks for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
A couple things to keep in mind:

1) The R is only manual.
2) Gas mileage will be better with the A4
3) Many people complain that since the R uses a haldex that it's AWD system is inferior. From what I have read and heard the haldex is a great AWD system and the "lag" really isn't noticeable from the haldex hooking up. I have a A3 quattro (it uses haldex though), but I haven't been able to test it in snow :banghead:
4) There is an updated A4 coming out soon.

Both cars have very good aftermarket support. I think when it comes down to it, you have to ask yourself if you care if the R is only a 2 door. IMO also, the A4 has a better interior and the B&O is an insane sound system. The MMI navigation is also fantastic. I like the A4 for a more professional car and the R lets you have a little boy racer come out without people noticing.

#4 ·
I just bought the Golf R and it is awesome the mpg not as good as the A4. there are many pros and cons. I owned the A4 also. If you want a fast and fun car get the Golf R. If you want a great looking sporty car get the A4 quattro wit the sports package. You can go wrong with either car, good luck

#5 ·
I've owned cars from both brands recently, and Iv'e driven both cars. My own choice was an A4 with a manual transmission, P+ ttrim level and the Titanium sports package. The Golf is cute, the A4 w/Ti is jaw droppingly badass. The price difference after negotiation are not significant.

Personally, and just from my own experience with both brands in the past 5 years, the cars could be 100% identical down to the stitching in the seats, I'd gladly pay $5k more for the Audi for no other reason than having a (more) competant service department and a warranty that actually gets honored, but that's me.

#6 ·
I also had a Golf R 4dr w/ nav on order. After waiting what seemed like forever and knowing that the finace options would be limited I went to look at the Audi. Bought one that day! I got about the same car option wise but a totally different beast. Mine is a 2.0t manual PP+ with sports pkg. no nav (witch I didn't care for anyway) and no B&O. ( I would have loved to get it though!) I really like the car! It's a little bigger but not a ton. And really like the 40/60 power split of the Audi. Hope that helps. :beer:

#9 ·
I owned both an 04 and an 08 R32...sure wish I still had the 04. Funnest Vw I have ever owned.
Had TDi's the last couple years, and I was considering the new R....but I bought a 2013 A4 quattro instead. I just found the right deal (employee purchase program) and my lease is only $23 more
than my 2010 Golf TDi payment was. What a sweet ride this car is. This car is more refined than the R...not quite the power, but more luxurious while still a kick to drive.

#10 ·
I decided against leasing this car since I ultimately bought a Golf R. I am planning on leasing a TDI if I keep having to drive this far for work and I think I'm going to keep the R for a pretty long time after I pay it off. I got the mod bug again...see signature haha...bad considering I picked it up on 7/18/12!! :p

#13 · (Edited)
If you are a person that likes to modify your car for more power, the Golf R comes stock with K04 stock and is capable of ~330whp/340wtq with ~$2k in bolt-ons (tune, intake, high-pressure fuel pump. ie Stage 1+). To help the Golf R Haldex awd perform a bit better, you can spend ~$1k on a controller upgrade (eg. HPA Competition Controller)

You would need closer to $7k to bring the Audi to the same level of performance. (~$3k for a K04 kit, plus all the rest)

Golf R (3300) is also substantially lighter than the A4 (3890), which ultimately equals better performance.

I'm just noting some of the performance differences, you really can't go wrong with either car.

#15 ·
Yup what he said. I bought the R in mid July. Haven't done any performance mods yet but will come next spring. I love this car and will either go for an S3 (if they bring it to US) or an S4 for my next car most likely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.