VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My ordeal with Mississauga VW and Georgetown VW

6K views 47 replies 25 participants last post by  spoonie 
#1 ·
I just wanted to post this thread in case any of you doubted any dealership anywhere, whether it be in thunder bay or even Ottawa, there are great dealerships out there. I know there's probably a million and one threads about Georgetown but this is my experience with a crappy Stealership and a dealership worth actually thinking about.

So it started when I picked up my 2007 Passat 2.0T from Owasco VW in November of 2011.. I believe the 15th; the speakers were blown and the people at the dealership were like "oh...well just go to a dealership and get it fixed, sorry". Pissed off that I just got rid of my crappy golf because of things breaking I went to Mississauga VW; and here is where all my issues started. My blower motor was always knocking and squealing and I asked to get it fixed after arguring with the guy behind the counter, a guy named john stepped in and found both the sun visor and the speakers so I got my left speaker and then my right speaker fixed within the week as well as my passenger side sun visor, the light seemed to work only when you squish it, but the blower motor, they refused to fix or change because they had no ability to replicate it. After driving for a little while.. like a week, i noticed that my door panels were frikkn falling off, which PISSED me off but also at the same time i noticed that my oil consumption was stupid high, like about 2L of oil every 1000km, I had a stock pile of oil in my garage. I took it back to Mississauga where they charged me for an oil change and started the test but my light was out and stupid me checked the wrong housing and checked the high beam light so I thought it was a short in the system :banghead:. Ended up paying 50 bucks after the guys behind the counter told me they sell bulbs cheaper than the stores.. what the failed to tell me was that VW charges to replace a headlight bulb what a upper class prostitute charges Donald Trump in labor.

So i called the douche bag who manages the shop, his name is claudio just because I wanted to see why they charge 50 bucks to replace a bulb.. i mean im not broke because of it but it was a general question.. he took it offensively and started defending himself for god knows what reason and he was getting all rude... what he told me was that "Your driving a Passat, you need to know that you are paying for parts and labor of a Passat". Right then and there I wanted to cuss him out so bad, BUT i know that karma will bit him one day. I said okay, and left. After driving about 1000km, I went to look under my hood to check the oil.. guess what?.. the top half of the oil cap was broken.. I took it back to VW to show them. I spoke with the mechanic who worked on my car and he said that its not his issue and that he didn't do it and that hes not paying for it. Well its funny because it was never like that before I came to Mississauga VW. Anyway, I said whatever. He checked my oil and.. now for those of you who know how to do an oil consumption test, read this carefully... he added 1L of oil to the crankcase and closed the oil cap- DIDN'T EVEN CHECK THE DIPSTICK and told me that i was free to go and that there was nothing wrong with my car. Now i knew from the very time he told me I was okay to go that I was going to have issues. After driving 200km I went to check my oil and noticed it was low. I ended up having to put 2LITERS OF OIL IN, do you know how mad i was? At that time I went back to Owasco and got them to look in to my car about the oil cap thing, they found that the engine cover was broken which is why the oil cap kept breaking even after I replaced it. I called Mississauga VW on the spot and as I was talking to Claudio, he cut me off.. he said hes leaving for vacation for 2 weeks and he cant help me and to speak to Vito... Vito is a good guy.. he warrantied the engine cover, haven't gone in to get it done yet and Mississauga vw hasn't called me so i guess they dont give a crap.

I took my car in to Georgetown the following week after speaking to a guy named Jordan. Jordan is an awesome guy, he helped me out from day 1 even when I called him to ask him about oil consumption tests. Georgetown took my car in and gave me a loaner car for the day because I had work, started the oil consumption test AND replaced my blower motor... apparently Georgetown VW can duplicate issues and Mississauga VW doesn't try to. After doing the oil change and driving for a week my car was leaking oil, took it back, they found out that the copper seal on the turbo feed line was worn to they replaced it and I continued with the oil consumption test. After driving for a little over 1015km because i had no time to take it in, my oil pressure light came on when I was taking on ramps at normal people speeds at this time. This was on Monday the 16th, they had to take the engine apart to check the cylinders... my heads were changed before I bought the car. Jordan called me on Wednesday and let me know that they have been advised to order a block and to replace the engine. My car is scheduled to be in the bay all day Monday to replace the engine, and im getting my timing belt job done for 300 bucks.. well that's after the $100 gift certificate VW Canada gave me because of all the times I've been to the dealership.

Moral of the story is, don't accept what one shop tells you. Unless the problem is quite clear, you should always get a second, third or fourth opinion. Also, NEVER, EVER, EVER go to Mississauga VW for ANYTHING.. the service is TERRIBLE and from what I observed... the mechanics dont know F#$% ALL!! If you work there and you have an issue with what I'm saying then prove me wrong, I have every right to voice my opinion towards Mississauga VW.. from the experiences I had, the workmanship is terrible, their knowledge sucks and when a customer comes back with a complaint, the mechanics hide behind their bays because they know they messed up.

Hope this gave some people with an FSI engine some direction and I also hope this gave people looking for a good dealership some direction as well.

Thanks for reading, I know this should be published as a novel but I wanted to make sure I went in to detail what I've been through since November of 2011.

ANYTIME YOU NEED SOMETHING FIXED ALWAYS GO TO GEORGETOWN VW :peace::peace::beer:

See less See more
#3 ·
As always, the crew at Georgetown VW sets the standards other VW dealers need to abide by. No wonder their new car volume only gets better and better!

#6 ·
I'm certainly NOT defending Mississauga VW's actions, but I can't stress enough how important it is to service your car where you purchased it. I know to some this doesn't make sense, but working in a dealership myself I know how service dept's view/handle cars bought from other dealers differently. Not so much where I work now as all the GTA Merc dealers are corporately owned, but more so with franchised dealers as they don't view you as "their" customer - even if the badge on the hood matches the one on the front of the building. Like I said, this doesn't mean I agree with what Miss VW did, but don't expect to dealers to go out of their way for cars bought at other dealers. That's not so say that Owasco would have dealt with things better, but when you've bought the car from them you have some added leverage and are generally paid more attention.

I'm just glad I'm friends with most of the staff at Villa, or I'd prolly be having some of the same troubles, especially with a modded car....

#8 ·
I'm certainly NOT defending Mississauga VW's actions, but I can't stress enough how important it is to service your car where you purchased it. I know to some this doesn't make sense, but working in a dealership myself I know how service dept's view/handle cars bought from other dealers differently. Not so much where I work now as all the GTA Merc dealers are corporately owned, but more so with franchised dealers as they don't view you as "their" customer - even if the badge on the hood matches the one on the front of the building. Like I said, this doesn't mean I agree with what Miss VW did, but don't expect to dealers to go out of their way for cars bought at other dealers. That's not so say that Owasco would have dealt with things better, but when you've bought the car from them you have some added leverage and are generally paid more attention.

I'm just glad I'm friends with most of the staff at Villa, or I'd prolly be having some of the same troubles, especially with a modded car....
Completely agree with you on that one. Dealerships that haven't sold you your car especially franchised dealerships don't HAVE to do it BUT with that said.. if they do do the job, why not do it correctly? I mean i know they are not getting paid what I would usually pay for for warranty work but their getting money regardless right? and also.. why be a dick? i mean if you want me to refer you to my friends and family why not give me the best customer service you can?

and @scotty.. you should seriously get in contact with Joukoh our jordan or even nicole from the customer relations

#7 ·
Well, I am a fan of Georgetown VW. I think they are one of the better dealership out there.

However, last fall...I had a LESS than satisfying service at Georgetown VW. They replaced my rear brake pads/rotors. I took the car home and discovered that my car rolled down my driveway. I contacted Georgetown VW and notified them the issue with my car. I was not happy that the Technician was asking me if I pulled the handbrake ALL the way up. I had my Jetta since new and NEVER had an issue with my handbrake. I never put my car in gear when I parked my car....my handbrake was flawless until that rear brake service. It seemed that the Technician was "hesitant" to put the car on the lift to take a look. They simply adjusted the emergency brake cable to the point that the rear wheels were "dragging" when taking off in first gear.

To make a long story short....I did not pursue the issue and just left the car in gear everytime I parked it and everyday....when I depressed the clutch to start the car.....my car would roll back.....handbrake all the way UP!!!! I took my car to Precision Tuning Motorsports (Perjad).....he discovered the issue in 2 minutes after putting my car on the lift....SEIZED Rear Passenger side Caliper....he replaced it and ALL IS WELL!!!!!!

#10 ·
I live in Mississauga but bought my GTI at Georgetown and service it at Georgetown. It's worth the drive anytime of the week. GEORGETOWN FTW!

Mississauga VW even left a sour taste in my mouth when I tried to order parts. Freaking parts. My wife who was sitting in the car was even more irritated than me on a different experience.

#16 ·
The parts guy at Mississauga VW is a douche.

I needed a bulb for my car, I call him up and he says $21.00 + tax I'm like you're sure?? I told him I have a 2007 GTI and I'm sure the bulbs are more than that. He's like there's only 1 type of bulb for the car and repeated the price.

I go in and am in the process of buying the bulb when a mechanic who was standing near by says that the bulb isn't for my car. He saw me drive in and says that the GTI has a Xenon bulb. The part guy literally had the dumbest look on his face. He proceeds to type some stuff into the system and tells me oh that bulb will be $210.

I wasn't pissed about the price, I was more pissed that the parts guy was willing to sell me a part and didn't give a damn it was the wrong part.

He had nothing but a blank look on his face. He didn't give a rats ass at all.

#24 ·
Mississauga sucks balllzzzack

Claudio is still there?? Holy crap! How that guy has not been let go, is beyond me. I bought my 02 GTI from Mississauga VW, and had no issues with them, of course until I had to bring the car in.... for service. OMG horrible service Claudio complete A$$hat, they would not help me if I was on fire.

Nothing is there fault, everything is the owners fault, the cars are all running perfect, and they just steal money from innocent, naive customers.

VW of Canada perhaps needs to be informed of the BS that goes on at Mississauga VW.:mad:

#29 ·
I dont know if im speaking for everyone but I appreciate information.. its interesting to see things from the other side.. maybe VW or even BMW can learn a little bit from Mercedes because even comparing the overall, its them who is on top with employee satisfaction.. its kind of stupid that the companies either haven't seen or haven't changed the way the parts and service has been running.. i mean.. companies do want to keep their customers happy.... just make them happy..

And yeah.. Claudio needs OUT of that place no doubt

#41 ·
So it started when I picked up my 2007 Passat 2.0T from Owasco VW in November of 2011.. I believe the 15th; the speakers were blown and the people at the dealership were like "oh...well just go to a dealership and get it fixed, sorry"
Problem #1.
YOU bought a car "blown" speakers. And they were fixed for you.
I dont see the problem. enlighten me.

Pissed off that I just got rid of my crappy golf because of things breaking I went to Mississauga VW; and here is where all my issues started.
Problem #2.
Your old car was Piece of Sh!t. So you went to Mississauga VW.
Of what relevance is that?

My blower motor was always knocking and squealing and I asked to get it fixed after arguring with the guy behind the counter, a guy named john stepped in and found both the sun visor and the speakers so I got my left speaker and then my right speaker fixed within the week as well as my passenger side sun visor, the light seemed to work only when you squish it, but the blower motor, they refused to fix or change because they had no ability to replicate it.

Problem #3.
They fixed concerns for you.. and one problem they COULD NOT CONFIRM they didnt.

I'm not sure if you quite understand how warranty works... the part that's getting repaired/replaced actually has to be defective. Volkswagen actually audits dealers for parts replaced on a daily basis. They simply ask for the part THEY are paying for, if they inspect it and its determined that there isn't anything wrong with it... guess who just bought a nice new blower motor... MISSISSAUGA VW!!!

To add to that... what if the blower motor is NOT the actually problem? Lots of times customers state they have an issue with one thing... but the problem something completely unrelated...

AGAIN. Concerns MUST be confirmed.

After driving for a little while.. like a week, i noticed that my door panels were frikkn falling off, which PISSED me off but also at the same time i noticed that my oil consumption was stupid high, like about 2L of oil every 1000km, I had a stock pile of oil in my garage. I took it back to Mississauga where they charged me for an oil change and started the test
Problem #4
High oil consumption, SO.. Mississauga VW initiated the process to check for your concern. The first step of this is to do a proper oil change. Why? To make sure everything is put to factory spec, for example... oil filter size or in your case cartage. It has to be confirmed that the vehicle is up to spec first. So who do you expect to pay for this??

but my light was out and stupid me checked the wrong housing and checked the high beam light so I thought it was a short in the system :banghead:. Ended up paying 50 bucks after the guys behind the counter told me they sell bulbs cheaper than the stores.. what the failed to tell me was that VW charges to replace a headlight bulb what a upper class prostitute charges Donald Trump in labor.
Problem #5
You had a headlight bulb out. You checked the WRONG bulb, and you were informed that there was actually a bulb burnt out.. more than likely you were told that there is a charge for said bulb and a labour charge.. WHICH YOU HAD TO AGREE TO or it wouldnt have been done.

Do you know that most dealer techs are actually on flat rate? Do you know what that means??

It means he only gets paid for the jobs he does. He doesn't get paid ANYTHING if there isnt work to do. In your case.. the tech would likely receive 0.2-0.3 hrs to replace that bulb for you... DO YOU EXPECT THE TECH TO WORK FOR FREE? CAUSE YOUR A NICE GUY?

So i called the douche bag who manages the shop, his name is claudio just because I wanted to see why they charge 50 bucks to replace a bulb.. i mean im not broke because of it but it was a general question.. he took it offensively and started defending himself for god knows what reason and he was getting all rude... what he told me was that "Your driving a Passat, you need to know that you are paying for parts and labor of a Passat". Right then and there I wanted to cuss him out so bad, BUT i know that karma will bit him one day. I said okay, and left.
Problem #6
So? he told you there is a labour charge... and it was appropriately charged for the vehicle you are driving...

Problem... NO.

After driving about 1000km, I went to look under my hood to check the oil.. guess what?.. the top half of the oil cap was broken.. I took it back to VW to show them. I spoke with the mechanic who worked on my car and he said that its not his issue and that he didn't do it and that hes not paying for it. Well its funny because it was never like that before I came to Mississauga VW. Anyway, I said whatever. He checked my oil and.. now for those of you who know how to do an oil consumption test, read this carefully... he added 1L of oil to the crankcase and closed the oil cap- DIDN'T EVEN CHECK THE DIPSTICK and told me that i was free to go and that there was nothing wrong with my car. Now i knew from the very time he told me I was okay to go that I was going to have issues. After driving 200km I went to check my oil and noticed it was low. I ended up having to put 2LITERS OF OIL IN, do you know how mad i was? At that time I went back to Owasco and got them to look in to my car about the oil cap thing, they found that the engine cover was broken which is why the oil cap kept breaking even after I replaced it. I called Mississauga VW on the spot and as I was talking to Claudio, he cut me off.. he said hes leaving for vacation for 2 weeks and he cant help me and to speak to Vito... Vito is a good guy.. he warrantied the engine cover, haven't gone in to get it done yet and Mississauga vw hasn't called me so i guess they dont give a crap.

Problem #7
So what do i conclude from this... First.. there is alot of info that is very unclear. if a tech topped up your oil to be within spec and it wasn't an excruciating amount of oil... you dont have a problem. WAS it physically checked? i have no idea...

Your blaming Mississauga vw and its tech for breaking the oil cap. meanwhile.. the engine cover is broken.. with bent brackets (info you aren't providing... more on this later.) for the engine cover... which was actually causing the oil cap to break. TRUE OR FALSE? True.

Has the oil cap broken off again since the brackets for the engine cover were bent into a more reasonable position for you? Probably not...

So how did those brackets bend? Further down you talk about how you cylinder head was replaced before you purchased the car. Ill give you a little inside info... the brackets are in the way when removing the valve cover... who ever did you cylinder head prior to you owning the car.... BENT THEM. As a result... your engine cover wasn't sitting properly... causing the oil cap to break.

Georgetown took my car in and gave me a loaner car for the day because I had work, started the oil consumption test AND replaced my blower motor... apparently Georgetown VW can duplicate issues and Mississauga VW doesn't try to.
Problem #8
Maybe they were able to actually confirm a problem.... Great.

After doing the oil change and driving for a week my car was leaking oil, took it back, they found out that the copper seal on the turbo feed line was worn to they replaced it and I continued with the oil consumption test. After driving for a little over 1015km because i had no time to take it in, my oil pressure light came on when I was taking on ramps at normal people speeds at this time. This was on Monday the 16th, they had to take the engine apart to check the cylinders... my heads were changed before I bought the car. Jordan called me on Wednesday and let me know that they have been advised to order a block and to replace the engine. My car is scheduled to be in the bay all day Monday to replace the engine
SO... the car was leaking oil... NOT actually CONSUMING oil.. Interesting.:rolleyes:

Hopefullly they topped it up.. but if they did... that means they'd have to redo and oil change... which of cousre they did do right? :facepalm:

and im getting my timing belt job done for 300 bucks.. well that's after the $100 gift certificate VW Canada gave me because of all the times I've been to the dealership.
Interesting... Ill give you another heads up. The brand new engine your getting.. Doesn't come with a timing belt installed. SO.. i certainly hope your not paying additional labour on that.... cause the techs gotta do it regardless. Warranty pays him for that. Its included in the job.

Moral of the story is, don't accept what one shop tells you. Unless the problem is quite clear, you should always get a second, third or fourth opinion. Also, NEVER, EVER, EVER go to Mississauga VW for ANYTHING.. the service is TERRIBLE and from what I observed... the mechanics dont know F#$% ALL!! If you work there and you have an issue with what I'm saying then prove me wrong. I have every right to voice my opinion towards Mississauga VW.. from the experiences I had, the workmanship is terrible, their knowledge sucks and when a customer comes back with a complaint, the mechanics hide behind their bays because they know they messed up.
I have proved you wrong on many occasions. Mississauga vw has some of the best techs around. Techs with 25 years VW/AUDI experience! Bottom line, we fix other dealerships problems too.

To conclude.

You bought a USED vehicle from a VW dealer WITH warranty. All these problems should have been taken care of as part of the Certified Pre-owned inspection.

Did you ever think that you were sold a car that should not even have warranty because its in rough shape?

Maybe you should return to THAT dealer.. and ask some questions.

:wave:

#43 ·
Problem #1.
YOU bought a car "blown" speakers. And they were fixed for you.
I dont see the problem. enlighten me.

Problem #2.
Your old car was Piece of Sh!t. So you went to Mississauga VW.
Of what relevance is that?

Problem #3.
They fixed concerns for you.. and one problem they COULD NOT CONFIRM they didnt.

I'm not sure if you quite understand how warranty works... the part that's getting repaired/replaced actually has to be defective. Volkswagen actually audits dealers for parts replaced on a daily basis. They simply ask for the part THEY are paying for, if they inspect it and its determined that there isn't anything wrong with it... guess who just bought a nice new blower motor... MISSISSAUGA VW!!!

To add to that... what if the blower motor is NOT the actually problem? Lots of times customers state they have an issue with one thing... but the problem something completely unrelated...

AGAIN. Concerns MUST be confirmed.

Problem #4
High oil consumption, SO.. Mississauga VW initiated the process to check for your concern. The first step of this is to do a proper oil change. Why? To make sure everything is put to factory spec, for example... oil filter size or in your case cartage. It has to be confirmed that the vehicle is up to spec first. So who do you expect to pay for this??

Problem #5
You had a headlight bulb out. You checked the WRONG bulb, and you were informed that there was actually a bulb burnt out.. more than likely you were told that there is a charge for said bulb and a labour charge.. WHICH YOU HAD TO AGREE TO or it wouldnt have been done.

Do you know that most dealer techs are actually on flat rate? Do you know what that means??

It means he only gets paid for the jobs he does. He doesn't get paid ANYTHING if there isnt work to do. In your case.. the tech would likely receive 0.2-0.3 hrs to replace that bulb for you... DO YOU EXPECT THE TECH TO WORK FOR FREE? CAUSE YOUR A NICE GUY?

Problem #6
So? he told you there is a labour charge... and it was appropriately charged for the vehicle you are driving...

Problem... NO.

Problem #7
So what do i conclude from this... First.. there is alot of info that is very unclear. if a tech topped up your oil to be within spec and it wasn't an excruciating amount of oil... you dont have a problem. WAS it physically checked? i have no idea...

Your blaming Mississauga vw and its tech for breaking the oil cap. meanwhile.. the engine cover is broken.. with bent brackets (info you aren't providing... more on this later.) for the engine cover... which was actually causing the oil cap to break. TRUE OR FALSE? True.

Has the oil cap broken off again since the brackets for the engine cover were bent into a more reasonable position for you? Probably not...

So how did those brackets bend? Further down you talk about how you cylinder head was replaced before you purchased the car. Ill give you a little inside info... the brackets are in the way when removing the valve cover... who ever did you cylinder head prior to you owning the car.... BENT THEM. As a result... your engine cover wasn't sitting properly... causing the oil cap to break.

Problem #8
Maybe they were able to actually confirm a problem.... Great.

SO... the car was leaking oil... NOT actually CONSUMING oil.. Interesting.:rolleyes:

Hopefullly they topped it up.. but if they did... that means they'd have to redo and oil change... which of cousre they did do right? :facepalm:

Interesting... Ill give you another heads up. The brand new engine your getting.. Doesn't come with a timing belt installed. SO.. i certainly hope your not paying additional labour on that.... cause the techs gotta do it regardless. Warranty pays him for that. Its included in the job.

I have proved you wrong on many occasions. Mississauga vw has some of the best techs around. Techs with 25 years VW/AUDI experience! Bottom line, we fix other dealerships problems too.

To conclude.

You bought a USED vehicle from a VW dealer WITH warranty. All these problems should have been taken care of as part of the Certified Pre-owned inspection.

Did you ever think that you were sold a car that should not even have warranty because its in rough shape?

Maybe you should return to THAT dealer.. and ask some questions.

:wave:
I know nothing about you, nor the OP, but beyond the fact that this post reads SO poorly, I will point out 1 thing.

Regardless of all the points you made to prove the OP wrong (which you actually did exactly 0 times), you still miss the main point: if my car is broken and I take it to the dealer, I would expect insight into the problem, not the run-around. Cool, bent/broken clips were the cause of the broken oil cap. Why couldn't these 25 year experience techs track this problem down for a paying customer? You are defending a lost cause becuase regardless of how or why; the people put in place to SOLVE problems did not. It's not up to the customer to come in and tell the tech "the engine cover clips are bent, causing the oil cap to break...please replace them for me." If that were the case he would be visiting parts, not service. Your job is to take the customer's feedback and trouble-shoot and diagnose. If you can't diagnose, your 25+ years are clearly worth nothing because you can't provide the service you are there to.

#42 ·
+1 for Georgetown VW.

From sales, to parts, to service, all my experiences have been great with them.

I bought a gti from Davin in sales about a month ago; he was very easy to deal with. No cheesy sales tactics or anything.

Previous to this, I went to Mississauga VW to look at a gti, and the sales guy that was 'helping' me says they have no gtis on the lot for me to try (I saw THREE OUTSIDE lol). Basically he blew me off - btw I look like I'm 18 yrs old when cleanly shaved hahaha (I'm 25). Then when I told the guy I have a BMW and a new Corolla that I wanted to sell and get 1 car (gti), he THEN was interested to 'help' me. I was already annoyed and defensive by then so I just left. I then came back another day to test drive with a different sales rep (Delphine; asian lady. She was SUPER nice).

Anyway, eventually I bought my gti from Georgetown, got a deal I was very happy with as well. I had an issue with the clutch the first week (known problem), Mike and Jordan on the service desk both were very helpful. They set me up with a loaner car and got my car done in 1 day. Got a new clutch assembly and release bearing under warranty. I had a few chats with the parts guy (Joel), he's also VERY knowledgeable and friendly.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase and service from Georgetown VW :thumbup: highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.