VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Air cooled chit-chat thread!!!

96K views 2K replies 55 participants last post by  JDII 
#1 ·
Here you go. Open to "Air Cooled" Chit chat

#68 ·
...hmmmmmmmm

i had a bunch of guys when i had it on the samba for a while...but after rebuilding the motor,a lightly used drag box and a fresh respray..I decided to keep it for a while.

...then after I got it all back together and took it to the shows...I realized, I'm tired of it...not to mention my legs don't bend like they used to since the accident...i dunno.

got it on racejunk.com for 20k...or trade for a 10.5 nova...

#72 ·
My brother and I purchased a new toy tonight, should be tons of fun......100% original, I will be the 3rd owner, 1st owner owned it up until 2003, guy moved from New Mexico to Pittsburgh and drove this bus the whole way 2000 miles in 3 days, 1600 SP. The thing is virtually rust free, absolutely no rot anywhere, just some light surface rust.

Bringing it home tomorrow, more pics up later this weekend! :laugh::laugh:

This is the direction....

#76 ·
very nice... your growing on me so your new nickname will be Bino instead of gaybino... although the cabby still makes you suspect.. :D

#82 ·
LMAO, thanks pad....anyone ever told you that you're a fuchin instigator? It's cool tho, I was born that way too. :thumbup: :laugh::laugh:

Thats gonna be a sick project!!

I really want a camper bus but holy hell they cost alot!
Couldn't pass it up man, condition was too good for the price. Plus whats more fun than a brotherly project?

I like the Westys too, but Im still partial to the bays and splits now. :cool:

#77 ·
One thing I noticed, which I like, is that you guys don't reject late models ..... driving a fat chick (well, at least she's athletic) I get a lot of people hating on me lol They just don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I love early models (I miss all my early Bugs) but for a daily driver, 71 super (maybe 72 too) and you can't go wrong :)

#79 ·

I would never own a fatchick.

i dislike some of my family members and but there are still family members.

#78 ·
Im a guy that does not really dig fatties or supers but air is air so I dont hate. Just not my cup of tea.. I can appreciate them when they look good and are done right..

#87 ·
it really depends on how you do them. i dont like most of them too (i own one too!) it really depends on how they are done.

this is boring

this is bada$$

honestly, i think it's the ride height and wheels that make or break the look of a superbeetle. they have to look just right or have the right stance on the car or it just looks ****ty

#81 ·
I love my fat chick lol !

I've owned as early as a 54, a few 58s and 59s, a 61 rag, a 63, a couple 65s, a 66 and a couple 67 (one was a Euro 67) and then for the late models I had a 68, 4 71 Supers (one that I still own) a couple 72 Supers, and a 73 and 74 super (which I did not like as much as the 71 or 72).
I'd say the most "curb appeal" was from my 54 and one of my 58 (not counting my 65 Herbie replica) but the most fun to drive is still my 71 Super, and actually a lot of people that hate on my car come to like it after they drive it for a few miles (or a few laps around a track). I've also owned a few Type 3s and busses, always wanted a Notchback, never got one. And I miss my busses (60 panel and 60 SC). I owned a 71 bus camper for a whole 3 days lol, sold it the same day I got it home and it got picked up 3 days later by it's new owner (bought for $100, sold for $450 to a guy that needed a lot of parts off of it, I think he ended up cutting it up)

If I had the money, I'd buy another oval or a split ..... but who wouldn't :)

#96 ·
^^haha beat me to it. :banghead:

Pad, one of the first things I was concerned with when I saw the pics before going to check it out. turned out its only surface. If this bus was in the east all its life the spots around the window would be :facepalm:, but its really not bad at all, more character than anything. I was totally shocked with the condition of it when I got there. The rust on the front is really all there is, every other panel, wheelwell, floor, corners are spotless with original paint. Now I know what you San Diegoins and others from the west are accustomed to. For this lone reason is why I question why I reside in the east. :laugh:

#102 ·
its good its only surface, i always get nervous when i see rust anywhere near the windshield.. it can turn a restorable car into a donor car quick if its bad..

#98 · (Edited)
i figuired it did that haha...

alright so i decided to make use of my time and started working on body work until i can get my motor done up some more... the previous owners aparently have no clue how to do body work. it was obviously hit on the driver's side, not enough to damage the frame, but enough to screw up the metal. so, instead of getting a new pannel, they decided to cut up a door or something, i have no clue and cover it, let it rot for a few years until i uncovered their hackjob. there is almost nothing left under the pieced they welded on, so i need a whole new section.

but knowing the flaws in the common spots it is rotted in ( fenders, lower rear quarters front apron etc etc etc .. i think it is my best option to get a parts car. does anyone in the new england area know where i can find a '72 super for cheap?

#99 ·
lol, reminds me of my 66 I bought for $600. After I drove it home I decided to clean it up in the driveway. When I got to the back seat, the door panel was bulging a little towards the center ...... hmmmm ..... weird ! So I took the panel off and just behind it was .... the side of the car, pushed in ! So I went back outside, and it was a tiny tiny bit wavy, but not pushed in several inches like on the inside (almost looks like someone threw a bowling ball right in the middle of the 1/4 panel at 60mph lol).
So I went back in and pushed the panel out, that's when I heard a loud thug noise, went out, and right there, on the floor, was a block of bondo ! I weighed it at the time but I can't remember what it weighed, something around 20lbs or so (it was pretty heavy I remember that) ....
I guess bondo-ing it was easier huh

#101 ·
Whats up guys? I just started browsing the air cooled forums. I've been into watercooled vw's for the last 15 years and as I get older I feel I'm out growing the "scene". I'm considering a move to air cooled. Anyway, I just thought I'd post up and introduce myself because as my search for a bug begins I may have some questions of what to look out for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.