VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1911 of cars?

11K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  Broduski 
#1 ·
On the market for a new car and was wondering the other day what the 1911 of the auto world is? Asked a few friends and it didn't seem to be a real clear answer. Discuss :p

#3 ·
So big, old, outdated, heavy, low capacity by modern standards, and with a lot of aftermarket support?

Sounds like a 1950s Chevy truck to me.

obin :laugh:

#7 ·
So big, old, outdated, heavy, low capacity by modern standards, and with a lot of aftermarket support?

Sounds like a 1950s Chevy truck to me.
:laugh: :beer:

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Interchangeable parts and built by several manufacturers. I can also cobble one together out of stuff in my garage. That sounds like a Super 7 to me!

:beer: :beer:

#11 · (Edited)
This. Design as old as Methuselah, yet made practically "forever". Still everywhere and does the job for many, despite the age of its design. Lots of variants. Great aftermarket support.

That said, the same could be said of many Jeeps, especially the CJ (which is still quite common despite the newest ones being 26 years old).

Perhaps the 1973-1979 Ford F-Series also falls into this category?

#6 ·
So we're going with "The Model 1911 handgun: The Chevrolet pickup truck of guns."

obin :laugh:

#15 ·
If you were to compare it to an engine, I would go with the small block chevy.

Obin's answer is pretty spot on though.

Also, I :heart: my 1911 :)

Still incredibly accurate after all of these years. I think mine is nearing the age of 40.

#17 ·

more than a jeep. I spent too much time either loading one, bouncing around in the back of one, or driving one. Haven't changed much since the late 30's or early 40's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.