VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

HStock Mk1 GTI wheels?

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  vwman87 
#1 ·
My daughter and I are back racing the GTI. It's been in the family since it came home from the dealer in '84. It was my mom's, then my dad's, then became a commuter for my brother-in-law, then abandoned behind his barn. About five years ago my son and I went over with a new battery and stole it from behind the barn. :) He wrenched it back into "shape" and started racing it HStock.

Once he went off to college it sat behind our barn. Now my daughter has turned 16 it's back out tearing it up!!

So, the question: I use to race my R32 in DStock when my son was racing the GTI. Due to some needed mods my R is now DSP which I'd love to enter but it's in a different run group than HStock in the local events and she and I wouldn't be running together. So, now we're dual-driving the GTI in HStock and loving it!! This car is still strong and a boat-load of fun.

We have stiff dampers, and a massive FSB, but we're running street rubber on snowflakes. I'm consistently placing 2nd and really want to catch that XB!! :mad: So, I need RComp rubber on some light wheels. But it looks like nobody's racing on 14's anymore and the used market is bleak.

So, here's a cast out to the masses looking for some lightweight 14's and a request as to what tire size would work on 14s on a stock MK1.

Any help appreciated!

See less See more
#5 ·
Sorry, but I'd cut my throat before losing the FSB. Before we put that in the nose would dive so hard that the inside rear wheel would pick up 12-18" off the ground in hard corners!!:eek::eek: It scared the crap out of me watching my son drive thinking he's about to catch a rim and flip it.

Once we put in the huge FSB the nose stayed flat and the inside rear only gets a few inches off the ground, and he jumped from 4th to 2nd place finishes against the same cars/drivers. Now with it flatter like this it's ready for sticky rubber.

I'll look into the current stock rules on RSBs. But right now the tail is lively but predictable. That may change with fat RComps on there.

Thanks!

I think what's killing us with the Scion is simply the power. It's a modern 2.3 16v VTEC motor against our 300,000 mi 1.8 8v. Plus he's currently on RComps where we're on street rubber, and he's a very good driver. :p

#6 ·
I would second the 205/55/14 if you want to stay in stock. Just run them on the OE GTI wheels.

Regarding tires, I've run Hoosier A6 (had older version also), Kumho V710 (a couple of sets) and now trying the Hankook Z214. I like the Kumhos better than the Hoosiers both due to feel and cost however the Hoosiers were probably a 0.1 or so faster.

I really, really like the Hankook z214. You will save almost $200 for a set of 4 compared to the 710's and they truly deliver. I had a tough time findind the right tire pressure for them and on my Rabbit (13x9 wheels) I am now running 23 psi +- 2 depending on the situation, so if you are considering tires the z214 really deliver.

#7 ·
I would second the 205/55/14 if you want to stay in stock. Just run them on the OE GTI wheels.
Well, I'd still need another set of OE GTI wheels as I'd rather not keep the rcomps on it full time even though it's still primarily our race weekend car. Ben shopping for a used set here..

BTW, which VW OE 14" 4x100 wheel was the lightest? :)

Regarding tires, I've run Hoosier A6 (had older version also), Kumho V710 (a couple of sets) and now trying the Hankook Z214. I like the Kumhos better than the Hoosiers both due to feel and cost however the Hoosiers were probably a 0.1 or so faster.

I really, really like the Hankook z214. You will save almost $200 for a set of 4 compared to the 710's and they truly deliver. I had a tough time findind the right tire pressure for them and on my Rabbit (13x9 wheels) I am now running 23 psi +- 2 depending on the situation, so if you are considering tires the z214 really deliver.
Great stuff, thanks!!

#11 ·
Kosie K1 are light, the only thing is what is the offset on the of the stock wheels? I know the offset on the Kosie is 38mm. Local events no one should complain if the are not with in 1/4"+ - .
Have fun I would have went Hankook z214 C71 just as fast as V710's and cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.