VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

tricky rust and need help

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  nbvwfan 
#1 ·
Ok so my mk2 golf has a fairly bad rust spot attacking the front drive strut tower. How do I go Abbott fixing this or is it even worth it. Oh and to top it off its my daily at the moment

#5 ·
i'm learning how to weld and let me tel you its not an easy thing to learn. I'm working at monro brake and muffler and welding on exhaust isn't as easy as it looks.....if someone can give me a little instruction on how to make it a little easier i'd appreciate it, its not easy wanting to work on a vw when (A) you don't have one (B) none of your friends work on cars so it's all up to me.

#7 ·
Welding isn't tough at all - at least quick and dirty MIG welding isn't tough. A quality machine and a few hours of instruction is all ya need for the basics. Your car needs work - perfect time to hit up a local vocational school and take a course. I paid like $125-150 (really cheap) locally to take a basic MIG/TIG course.

#13 ·
and watch some videos on youtube.

weldingtipsand tricks.com

By far the best how to short videos, and the guy does it for the enjoyment of the profession.
He explains technique and theory all while you watch the welding.
It is not all that hard, it takes seat time and patience.
Clean the surface is key to a proper repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.