VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Volkswagen Alltrack Concept at 2012 NYC Auto Show

16K views 123 replies 86 participants last post by  GCAutoparts 
#1 ·
Wagons always get enthusiasts and motoring journalists excited. Funny for some of us that grew up with family wagons with woody sides and couldn't imagine every owning one back then. Anyway, VWoA is dipping their toe in the water with a concept version of the European-only Passat Alltrack to gauge reaction here on this side of the pond. So let's break this down a bit and try and make some guesses as to what VWoA is potentially up to...

FULL STORY...

See less See more
#3 ·
It'd be the closest competitor to the Subaru Outback, and I'm sure people who dig wagons and need AWD capabilities would cross-shop them, especially given the efficiency of the TDI engine versus the Outback.

Audi A4 Allroad and Volvo XC70 would cost at least 10k more than the Outback / Alltrack.

#6 ·
When the Subaru Outback diesel is finally brought to this country and the Mazda (Tiguan) sized DIESEL little SUV arrives here soon maybe VW will be shamed into bringing us a six speed DIESEL all wheel drive Passat-Tiguan. Better yet==== bring us a small engined TDI/electric/plug in hybrid. Why not offer a 300 or 400 hp hybrid for the stupid car buyers and a much less horsepower diesel/electric plug in for those who would trade 0-60 figures for 55 -110 mpg. VW SHOULD be the first manufacturer of cars that offers a 100mpg diesel/electric hybrid (3 cyl. TDI motor please VW)in a smallish super lightweight rugged body. Perhaps in a Jetta sized or less wagon with the capacity to carry the added weight of the hybrid components. VW could easily outpace and outclass the Prius line of economical hybids with their years of TDI evolution. I vote for VW bringing out the FIRST Tiguan,CRV,Outback etc. sized all wheel drive small SUV that the Tahoe owners are trading in in droves. VW===Bring us ECONOMICAL===50-100 plus mpg Prius fighters and bring us 40-80 plus mile per gallon SMALL CRV/Outback size 4WD diesel/electric POPULAR wagon/SUVS PLEASE!!!!!!!! WE KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS and we would prefer the VW brand be KING of the hill and the first with these products. I rest my case. VW should rule the WORLD in inovation and sales!!!!!!!

#10 ·
Needs bigger tires. Same goes for the Audi Allroad coming out. Low profile tires should not be specified.

BTW, the concept car is beautiful.

#12 ·
I would purchase one! How ever, This seems to be another forbidden fruit for the United States!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
if Subaru does bring their diesel to North America, I would most likely buy theirs for the AWD.
but if VW does AWD/4Motion and diesel in a Tiguan size SUV or Passat/Jetta/Golf Wagon, I will definitely stay in the family when we next buy a car.
Currently in a JSW TDI 6M and absolutely love driving it.

Please bring this, my boss even wants an Allroad, but won't pay Audi prices.

#15 · (Edited)
'07 Passat Wagon owner feeling left out in the cold...

I've wished many times that the new German Passat Wagon would be sold here but so far not. We have on '07 Passat Wagon that now has >110K Miles...still a GREAT Car!!!

If I had to choose I'd rather not have All-Track versus what we have now. I'd want a Diesel and the big Open Sky Sunroof for sure!

We test drove a new JSW with Open Sky...nice car but our 5'11" Daughter didn't have enough leg room in back.

VW - you're new car dealer lot currently has nothing to interest me in trading in my '07 Passat Wagon. I'll keep right on driving it because it suits our car needs perfectly.

And yes, I've looked closely at the Subaru Outback as a replacement one day...

#16 ·
F' again... :facepalm:

"Currently, there are no plans to bring this vehicle to market in the U.S., but the concept is set to gauge market reaction to a potential future model that is similarly sized and combines offroad ability with wagon versatility."

#45 ·
X2

It's OK - you know that VW can be the number one car seller in the world by excluding the U.S. market out of many of their models ;) We can't get the cool small cars or vans, but we do get a rebadged Dodge van as the Routan :banghead:

I used to be a Volkswagen driver, now I'm just a fan of the old air cooled models. My 2003 Wolfsburg Jetta was my last VW. I can't afford your newer models anymore, so I will probably end up buying Korean for my next car. I'm even considering a Forcus or Fiesta and I NEVER thought I would ever consider buying an American car. Here's to the good old days! :beer:

#20 ·
Refuse to bring over German Passat wagon, refuse to build US Passat wagon.

BMW has said they're still going to support their wagon lovers.

No A3 hatch anymore. No A3 wagon.

VW has aimed straight at its toes and pulled the trigger.

My next wagon will probably be a BMW after 12 years of VW ownership.

Good job, VW.

#21 ·
I don't see this concept happening... I don't even see volkswagen selling many 4motion equipped cars in the us in the future... Other than the R32/Golf R niche, I think it's well known that Audi offers Quattro already and the enthusiasts seeking a more economical volkswagen won't want to pay more for awd.

#23 ·
just bring us the flipping Passat wagen...I mean Alltrak

VWoA, just bring us the Passat Wagen, Alltrak or whatever you want to call it. :wave:

If you are too concerned about it not selling, bring it over in a limited run, like other "special" VWs.

If you are concerned about it digging into T'reg, Tiguan and JSW sales, see my comment above.

If Audi is concerned it will take away from their Avant sales, again, see my comment above the above comment.

Some of US still want a wagen to drive and maybe the JSW just doesn't do it and a $45k SUV doesn't answer the need either. The Alltrak fills this want.

Oh, can we have it with the 6-spd manual and the TDI? That's how I would want mine.

#25 ·
Build it, we will buy it!!
My 02 Passat (sport) wagon is still going strong but not forever. The Jetta Sportwagon is a bit of a downsize for me, this would be great.
But this is the Passat Alltrack they are offering in Europe. Which VW says it's too $$ to import to the US.
Read a rumor that a SUV was going to be built on the US Passat platform in Tenn which has plenty of capacity. A SUV would sell many more than a wagon, so why are they teasing with this?

#27 ·
I have an AWD Passat wagon. I want a new AWD Passat (or Jetta) wagon with a TDI. Where can I put down my deposit?
That's really a big problem for many of us: VW has neglected to offer something we can buy into, now that our cars are 7-12 years old. VW is forcing us to look elsewhere.

>>So we suppose it is possible that VWoA *could* build a Jetta Sportwagen Alltrack in the future. That would likely mean the successor to the current Sportwagen.

#28 ·
Well regardless of market reaction I don't believe we'll ever see this. VW loves to show us stuff they'll never bring unless people go utterly nuts about it and then it will be 4 years after the fact after all the excitement has died down. Still showing the Bullie concept but no product after how many years? Still teasing a Tiguan diesel after 4 years and we have still have a couple more to go at least.

I'd buy it but there will never be a chance to do so I'm not going to even ask VW to send it over. Instead of waiting for the inevitable VW rejection of the car for the US market as shown (TDI, 4motion, & DSG), lets just thank them for the distraction. It can join the Jetta Coupes, Amoroks, Bullies, and unicorns of myths and legends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.