VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

2013 Chevrolet SS

68K views 287 replies 102 participants last post by  whitejeep1989 
#1 ·
holden to announce export of the commodore to u.s. As chevrolet ss: Holden will announce tomorrow an export program for the commodore, which will see the adelaide [australia] made car become a race and showroom star in the united states. Though sales of the elizabeth-produced sedan continue to slide in australia, a commodore v8 will be exported to america where it will be sold with the chevrolet ss performance badge. In that guise, it would also star for the heartland brand in the nascar stock car racing series, which runs second only to formula one in global popularity. Holden has been testing left-hand drive cars on public roads in victoria in recent weeks and running it head-to-head with one of its strongest potential rivals, the dodge charger, as it finalises its end of the important new deal. Motorsport sources in the usa hint that an announcement of the chevrolet ss program is imminent, including the holden connection. The coming vf commodore as the donor car for the program ticks the boxes for american muscle car fans, and nascar stock car racing as well, thanks to its v8 engine, large body and rear-wheel drive. Former gm holden president mark reuss, now the head of gm operations in the us and a known fan and supporter of the commodore, dodged carsguide's questions on a link between the ss program and the commodore. Holden chairman mike devereux also refused to comment on the strengthening rumours in the us, which were triggered by the announcement. Full-scale testing of the racer is expected to begin soon, and the bodywork expected to be revealed at the same time.()(5-16-2012)
so excited.

#5 ·
no pics yet :C

#7 ·
bit better

G
#31 ·
Supposedly, about 100 lbs lighter than our Pontiac G8, mainly thanks to the use of more aluminum front and rear, such as in the hood and fenders. It's mostly a carry-over of the current car, though, other than the redesigned front and rear treatments and updated dash.

bzcat said:
Just SS? No Chevelle?

SS is a stupid name. Like Ford GT or VW CC.
I'd argue it's significantly more stupid than the GT or CC names, because SS has a long history as a trim level for specific Chevrolet vehicles (including, at the moment, the Camaro).

#16 ·
that would be nice

would really like to see more than 800 manual 4 door rwd v8 cars as well

I have been tempted by a G8 but it would be an extra car at this point so forking over 35k for a 6 speed GXP is not really an option

#17 · (Edited)
Ever watch intervention?

You know when they are following a tweaking crack whore, and all the family and councillors get together with a plan for her to get off crack, stop sucking d*ck for spare change, and get into rehab?

Then you get that message that tells you after all that work as care, she just relapsed 3 months later anyway?

I think the SS will be a good car, but when I think about it all I get is that GM is that relapsing crack hoe that just never learns... What next, bring back the Hummer H2?

(edit for retarded iPhone spell corrections)

#29 ·
I hope that by using the SS name to distance it from the Caprice PPV that this will be the SWB version like the G8 and not the LWB model like the Caprice. I don't like the proportions of the LWB, and really the added room only makes sense if there's a police car cage in there.

#45 ·
I like to cross my legs

SS though... really?

really chevy? My grandpa fought the SS back in the day... I don't know how I feel about driving something with that namesake.
Not sure if serious? You do know that US Marine Scout Snipers also use the double thunderbolts
No one EVER had any problem with SS badges. I've NEVER heard ANYONE complain about this. I've known plenty of old World War II guys that DROVE Super Sports!

Chevrolet's SS stands for Super Sport. Somehow all the WW2 vets who were of prime car-buying age were able to understand this back in 1961 when they started using the nameplate..
When they started using the nameplate they didn't slap SS on a whole product and name the entire car that.

In my opinion there is a difference between calling a car a Camaro and having a trim level called Super Sport and having a car called SS with nothing but SS badges.

Europe won't see any of these because they will be sold under the vauxhall name if at all.. but this naming scheme wouldn't fly over there and it shouldn't really fly here either.
1961 Impala SS badge:

Vauxhall wouldn't release it with that name because it serves no purpose in their naming scheme. Expect another VXR variant.

Though, I doubt the car will be called the SS... I think they're holding off on revealing the true name. Didn't someone say Chevrolet recently re-upped it's license on Chevelle?

#38 ·
When they started using the nameplate they didn't slap SS on a whole product and name the entire car that.

In my opinion there is a difference between calling a car a Camaro and having a trim level called Super Sport and having a car called SS with nothing but SS badges.

Europe won't see any of these because they will be sold under the vauxhall name if at all.. but this naming scheme wouldn't fly over there and it shouldn't really fly here either.

#53 ·
That's what it is.

#78 ·
Why do you care that other people like it? And if I like the car, why should I care who buys it?

Out of all the cars in the market, they can be arranged in a pyramid, like this:

1. Cars I would buy, and are actually in the market for (zero or very few models at any point in time)

2. Cars I like, and would buy if I were in the market for, but I'm just not right now (a slightly larger number of cars, of which this is one)

3. Cars I like, might recommend, but wouldn't likely buy (a pretty large group of cars)

4. Cars I don't like, wouldn't likely recommend (most cars)

The existence of the second and third groups seems to bother you. Why?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.