Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finally replaced door lock module... DIY as follows

1. Junior Member
      09-24-2003 02:24 PM #1
      well after much debate, I finally replaced the door lock module in my Jetta because, like many of us, the switch in the door went out...causing many annoying things to occur such as
      - door chime went out (no big deal)
      - door alarm and key remote acted strange...to lock doors, i had to unlock them, then lock them a second time.
      - door light went out.

well, it wasn't that hard to fix actually thanks to a thread posted by VgRt6 (great DIY, best Ive seen). Anyways, ill just add a little to the end of his DIY on replacing the door lock module
      first follow these steps... https://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107
      you might need a rivet gun along with 4mm rivets (available at Home Depot) if your module is connected with a rivet.
      1. Once you have the panel off with the module connected, drill out, or simply use pliers to remove the 4mm rivet connecting the module do the panel.
      2. Disconnect the two wires (door lock pin, and door lock wire) from the old module, then replace them to the new module.
      3. Fix the module back to the panel using a single 4mm rivet (only if the original module was affixed with a rivet.
      4. After this...follow the instructions in VgRt6 DIY to replace the panel back.
      Total took about 3 hours, but could be done faster. Definitely worth the effort, the part cost $120 from the VW dealership. Let me know if i can help anyone with this, and thanks again to VgRt6 for his great DIY...(hope you don't mind i used this )

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-24-2003 02:35 PM #2
      Thanks for posting this Mark. I'm going to put a link to this in Part III of my DIY.
      Glad everything worked out OK. I'm going to do this myself eventually. BTW, do you have the part# for the lock module handy? Could you post it? Thanks.

4. Junior Member
      09-24-2003 02:43 PM #3
      The part number for the drivers side is 3B1 837 015 AK
      Also, just a quick note...might want to add something (only if you are not planning on replacing the window clips) about taking the screw out. It saves a little time and effort if you just loosen the screws that secure the windows in instead of taking them out...just saves a little time and frustration if the area you are working in is dark. Thanks again for the help, let me know if you have any questions when you replace yours

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

09-24-2003 02:54 PM #4
      Thanks. I'll add a sentence about that. I wasn't thinking of the lock module that much when doing the write-up. You're right, the screw does not need to be removed if you're not replacing the regulator clips.

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-25-2003 11:04 PM #5
      Yippee... Mine just went out.
      To make sure: When you try to unlock the door with the key (not remote) it is more difficult to turn and you are mechanically unlocking the door (not the electric thing when you turn it twice and all the doors open, or you hold it and the windows roll down.). Sound right? The alarm (if it is enabled) does not disable itself, and trying to start the car causes it to go off. I don't have the switchblade remote, so I can't turn off the alarm unless I unplug the battery. Yay.
      Would a bad locking module cause the inbility to roll the winodws down by holding the key turned? My dome and sidewalk lights do not light up when the door is open...
      Is there a cheaper way I can replace this? Can I use one from another door or something?
      Thanks a million for a quick reply

09-25-2003 11:15 PM #6
      Scott- Sounds like either the lock module is bad or is not getting power. Did you check your fuses?

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-26-2003 01:01 AM #7
      I got excited when I remembered I didn't check the fuses, but I just checked all of them and had no luck.
      Anything else I can check? Or is this definite
      Thanks

09-26-2003 01:33 AM #8
      Do the door locks work when you use the switch inside the car? If so, do they all work or does the driver's door only not work? I had a thought. If the driver's lock is bad, you might be able to move the keyhole over to the passenger's side door and use it to unlock the car and disarm the alarm with your key. You'd have to use one of the door unlock switches in the car or reach over to open the driver's door. Not the best solution, but it would be free. I'll do the procedure on my car tomorrow and see if it works. I'll let you know.

11. Banned
      09-26-2003 01:42 AM #9
      Why didn't you just take it to the dealer?
      Isn't covered under warentee?

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-26-2003 01:52 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by exS4 »
      Why didn't you just take it to the dealer?
      Isn't covered under warentee?

Not when you have 81,000 miles
      Gary: I think I just cracked open a can of worms... (I'm full of cliches today!)
      I sat in my car and closed the door. I pressed lock, and all of the doors, including the driver's door locked. I then opened the driver's door and pressed lock, and all of the doors except the driver's door locked.
      If the car doesn't know the door is open, ...how does the car know the door is open? Wouldn't it lock all of the doors regardless of if the driver's door is open or shut? Heh... Let me know what you think!
      And thanks for the suggestion, I will take it into consideration, but might just suck it up and buy the part since I know I can do it myself with your wonderful DIY that I just read a couple times. I basically want to make sure I know what my problem is!

09-26-2003 04:58 AM #11
      That VW's way of you not locking your key in the car. hope this helps?

Modified by 2002tdi at 2:01 AM 9-26-2003

09-26-2003 10:09 AM #12
      Scott- 2002tdi is right, the door will not lock if it is still open. I don't think that's your problem though.
      Try this additional test. Sit in the car and close the door. Lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Use an interior switch to unlock the doors. Do all of them unlock? No lock them again. Do all of them lock? Unlock the doors again. Now open the door that is giving you a problem (driver's door?) and close it again. Now try and lock the doors again. Do all of them lock? Un lock the doors again and open the problem door again. Try and lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Unlock the doors and close the problem door. Lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Now unlock the doors and try and lock them again. Do all of them lock?
      It sounds like a big PITA, but I'm trying to see if the door is correctly recognizing if the door is open/closed and/or locked/unlocked. Although I only noticed one microswitch on the door lock module, I think there must be another inside the module. One should detect if the door is open/closed and the other if the door is locked/unlocked.
      Let me know what you find out. FYI, if you plan on using the driver's door with your remoteless key, the only way that it's probably goint to work is to replace the module. There is a good chance that you won't have to replace the module if you use the remote to unlock the door. If the locks behave correctly (or you can figure out a trick to get around it) while in the car, then it should behave the same way with the remote.

Modified by VgRt6 at 10:52 AM 9-26-2003

09-26-2003 10:27 AM #13
      Scott- Here are some prices for the lock module.
      http://www.1stvwparts.com - $96.00
      http://www.vwparts.com - $121.60
      I think it's obvious which place to buy it from.

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-26-2003 04:35 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
      Scott- 2002tdi is right, the door will not lock if it is still open. I don't think that's your problem though.

This I knew, but I thought the car didn't know the door was open...
      Quote »
      Try this additional test. Sit in the car and close the door. Lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Yes Use an interior switch to unlock the doors. Do all of them unlock? Yes No lock them again. Do all of them lock? Yes Unlock the doors again. Now open the door that is giving you a problem (driver's door?) and close it again. Yes Now try and lock the doors again. Do all of them lock? Yes Un lock the doors again and open the problem door again. Try and lock the doors. Do all of them lock? All but drivers door lock when the driver's door is open Unlock the doors and close the problem door. Lock the doors. Do all of them lock? Yes Now unlock the doors and try and lock them again. Do all of them lock? Yes

It works very normally from inside the car...
      Now a few items of concern.
      I need to put a key in the door in order to program the new keyless remote. I assume this won't work considering things how they are now, correct?
      Also, the car usually primes itself when I open the door (under normal circumstances) but since the car thinks the door is always closed, it never primes itself. What kind of a problem will this cause?
      FYI, for today I locked all the doors from the inside, got out, closed the driver's door, and relocked it with the key. Instead of the ligths flashing and the alarm beeping (when it is armed) it just twisted and pulled down the lock cylinder, succesfully locking my car, but without arming the alarm.
      When your module is acting up, does the key work as it should when you put in in the door?
      If not, this sounds like it is my problem. Are we positive though?
      And I tried hitting my door, but to no avail. Something like this happened a couple weeks ago, but I unplugged the battery and all was fine.
      My main concern is not being able to program my new remote, and the fuel system not priming itself. The alarm is of a lesser but still significant importance.
      Can I use the locking module from the passenger door? I don't care if the car thinks that door is always closed....
      I just don't know why my alarm isn't arming itself when I lock the car with the keys. Have you ever tried to unlock the door while the battery is unplugged? That's what it is like. And it doesn't make sense since the car thinks the door is closed. As I said, my interior lights and the sidewalk light do not light up when the door is open.

Ughhh... Thanks for the help

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-26-2003 05:15 PM #15
      I talked to marainwater and I'm pretty sure this is my problem...
      I'm gonna call VWofA because I am very sick of paying to repair my car.
      I'll let you know what's up Gary!
      And thanks marainwater!

Edit...VWofA said I'm on my own =P can't blame them, 80k isn't anywhere close to being in warranty!

Modified by santos. at 11:19 PM 9-26-2003

09-26-2003 06:43 PM #16
      Scott - Too bad they won't pay for it. You're right though. 80k is a bit high to get stuff covered.
      I'm not sure how the key works with the bad lock module. I've never tried it. The lock only gives me a problem every once in a while and when it does I just unlock the doors with the remote and lock them again and everything works fine.
      I wish I new more about programming the new key. I don't fully understand what needs to be done.

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-26-2003 08:12 PM #17
      If you are curious about the programming procedure, here is a link to a thread detailing it: https://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=509783
      Also, from what I understand it is documented in the owner's manual also. I don't have one of those either, so if you do by chance look for it, would you mind copying it into an email or a post here so I can get the word-for-word version and not worry about believeing what other people say? haha thanks...
      Any idea about the fuel pump not being primed? I'm starting to worry about it...

09-26-2003 08:30 PM #18
      I'm not sure what effect that not priming the fuel pump will have other than the car not starting as easily. This is a good questions to ask on the Vortex.
      I'll look for the instructions in the manual. I'll send them to you if I find them.

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-26-2003 08:38 PM #19
      Yah I will post a thread a little later... I've got to run.
      I did a search but didn't get many in depth results.
      I'm going to order that part tonight, but I looked on 1stvwparts and couldn't find it by putting in the part number.
      I searched for lock module or something and seem to have found it, but wihtout the part number I am a bit skeptical... Any advice?
      Talk to you later!

09-26-2003 08:44 PM #20
      Search for part# 3B1837015AK. I found it there earlier today. Should be $96.
      Tip - don't include spaces when typing in part#s on 1stvwparts.

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-27-2003 04:04 AM #21
      Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
      Tip - don't include spaces when typing in part#s on 1stvwparts.

Ah hah!
      Now, do I need this:
      Quote »
      3B1837015AK $96.00
      Body hardware - Door - Front door - Lock
      LOCK, Jetta, Left 1999 - 2003

or this:
      Quote »
      3B1837015AK $96.00
      Body hardware - Door - Front door - Lock
      LOCK, Jetta, Left, w/Central Locking 1999

They are obviously different, but what the heck is the difference?
      Haha... Thanks!

09-27-2003 08:02 AM #22
      Scott- They are the same piece. You can't have two different parts with the same part#. 1stvwparts has the same parts listed sometimes a dozen different ways. It confuses a lot of people. I always ignore their descriptions and just order by part number. If it will make you feel better, order the second one. Better yet, call them up to double check you're buying the right part. 1-888-528-5280. They're a dealership out in WA state (Auburn VW), so ask for the parts dept. when the receptionist picks up.

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-28-2003 03:24 PM #23
      I was about to order this, but then got to thinking...
      Could I use the module from another door? I would imagine it is driver/passenger side specific, so possibly the rear driver's side door? Or maybe even the front passenger door?

09-28-2003 04:46 PM #24
      I doubt it. The front driver's and passenger's sides are mirror images of each other. Same goes for the rear doors. Using the rear door module is a possibility, but the shape of the doors are different, so the lock modules may also be shaped differently. Also, the rear door modules may not have the ability to be operated with a key since there's no cars sold by VW that have key access in the rear. The front passenger's side has the key feature since the lock is on this side in some countries, e.g., England.
      Unless someone can tell you for certain that the front and rear driver's modules are the same, the only way to knowfor sure is to open both doors up and compare the modules. That would be an awful lot of work.

Vehicles
      B8.5 S4
      09-29-2003 12:56 AM #25
      Ok well I ordered it, came to about $100...
      I'll let you know when it gets here, and Gary, if you want, I will take pictures and document it so you can add a section to that DIY [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Let me know, I'll talk to you soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast