VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Official Cabrio/Cabriolet FAQ

383K views 143 replies 99 participants last post by  YJSAABMAN 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm paving the way for us to have a FAQ sticky. Anyone with info please post!!
Basics: There is no such thing as a mk4 cabrio, its called a Mk3.5. this started in '99

Modified by Cabrio1.8T at 4:10 PM 10-14-2003

#77 ·
Re: (VWGTiWanted)

Refrigerant & Lubricant Specs
All oil specifications assume that A/C system has been properly cleaned, and new accumulator / filter drier has been installed. Specs are for total system
capacities. Always refer to under hood decal as the primary source for refrigerant and lubricant information.
Refrig System Oil Capacity
Year/Model/Type Oz./Type Oz./Premium Standard
BEETLE
03-01 All Eng. .............................................................................................. R-134a 26.00 PAG-46 4.50 409503 409888
00-98 All Eng. .............................................................................................. R-134a 24.00 PAG-46 4.50 409503 409888
CABRIO
02-01 All Eng. .............................................................................................. R-134a 27.00 PAG-46 4.50 409503 409888
00-95 All Eng. .............................................................................................. R-134a 28.00 PAG-46 4.00 409503 409888
CABRIOLET
93-86 All Eng. .............................................................................................. R-12 32.00 Mineral 4.75 209500 --

#78 ·
Re: How to install a camshaft into your 8V engine (kamzcab86)

I finally have one!
Cheaper replacement struts for your top,
http://www.mcmastercarr.com
strut - 9416K337 110lb force required
eyelet - 9416K84
You will need 2 struts @ $12.30 each and 4 eyelets @ $1.41 each for a total of around $38 shipped! Compared to the $40 each charged for the oem replacements.
Hint, keep the rubber booties that go over the top of your stock ones, they take up the extra space on the stud. I just put these in and the do the job at hand beautifully, popping the top up enough to stay off the snaps.

#79 ·
Re: How to install a camshaft into your 8V engine (sgren737)

Quote, originally posted by sgren737 »
I finally have one!
Cheaper replacement struts for your top,
http://www.mcmastercarr.com
strut - 9416K337 110lb force required
eyelet - 9416K84
You will need 2 struts @ $12.30 each and 4 eyelets @ $1.41 each for a total of around $38 shipped! Compared to the $40 each charged for the oem replacements.
Hint, keep the rubber booties that go over the top of your stock ones, they take up the extra space on the stud. I just put these in and the do the job at hand beautifully, popping the top up enough to stay off the snaps.

here is a pic of them

#84 · (Edited)
years ago we all shared this, it seems like a lot of people still need it: The Bentley Manual for Cabriolet & Scirocco 85-93, including 16v. I'd say it covers pretty well, pre-85 cars too, as our cars didn't change much beyond engine size. Self-extracting .exe to save 100megs of download

edit:
To make things easier, and so I could load it all onto my iphone, I've divided the manual up into chapters
Fundamentals.pdf
Lubrication and maintenance.pdf
Engine.pdf
Cooling System.pdf
Fuel System.pdf
Exhaust and Emissions.pdf
Ignition.pdf
Manual Transmission and Clutch.pdf
Automatic Transmission.pdf
Suspension and Steering.pdf
Brakes.pdf
Body and Interior.pdf
Electrical.pdf

#85 ·
Ummmm, I don't know if this is the right place to ask,.....but: The part I'm looking for is apparently too exotic to find easily, other than maybe from a source other than the usual oem suppliers.

The car is a 1992 Cabriolet Carat; the part I'm trying to find is called an Air Intake Boot (according to Bentley Manual, pg. 5-23. The part is a very complex molded rubber "hose" coming from the Air Flow Meter, held by two clamps at both ends.

Is this part so freakin' "unobtainium" or what? :confused:

Oh yeah, it's part of the Digifant II system. :rolleyes:

#88 ·
shift linkage adjustment for 020s

put your car in neutral
jack it up (use jackstands)

loosen this bolt

and grab a cassette tape. if you don't know what a cassette tape is, one is included in the photo.

the thick part (head) is the proper size for the adjustment. just pin it in the lockout. Then tighten the bolt at the other end of the shaft that you loosened earlier. Put the car on the ground and drive away!

if you're still unable to find gears, then you've got other problems.

#89 ·
best way to mod your 1.8 and get about 130 hp give or take... all for under $2000.00

Performance upgrades (for those not desiring the ever-popular engine swap)

Mechanical upgrades:

Techtonics Tuning* header or dual-downpipe (also: swap to a dual-outlet exhaust manifold)
o

Headers tend to be louder

Techtonics Tuning* hi-flow cat and cat-back system (for those not in emissions testing areas, you can eliminate the cat altogether)

Larger throttle body (from an Audi 5000 or A2-era CIS Golfs/Jettas)

Bored intake manifold (this can be a DIY job on your existing manifold with a Dremel-like tool)

Techtonics Tuning* 288 or 270 camshaft and adjustable cam gear (stock upgrade: cam from a A2-era Digifant II GTI)
o

You will need to upgrade the valve springs and such, advance the timing a bit, and use premium gasoline
o

For hydraulic heads, use a cam intended for an A3-era 8V ABA engine

Enlarge the air intake (option: swap to a Scirocco 16V air box) & install K&N air filter

Install a larger air pipe between air box and throttle body

Larger valves, 10:1 pistons from a newer 1.8L

Larger fuel distributor (A2-era CIS Golf/Jetta)

Lightened flywheel and short-shift kit

#91 ·
Yes you have to remove the little itty bitty top off the end of the plug. It screws on.

Hold the plug in a pair of pliers by the nut or a deep well socket on the end of the larger ceramic piece (usually has the brand stamped on it) remove the Steel tip by un-screwing it. You will be left with a threaded post and your plugs and wires will be more tighter.

Please Post in The main chat area, as this is a FAQ's thread or How-to's for frequently answered questions.

Before you remove the tip:

After you remove the tip:

#92 ·
00MY MK3.5 cabrio front bumper part number pls?

Hi,

First post so sorry if this isn't in the correct sectrion!

I've searched, but can't find the answer so I'm posting this. I'm looking to fit a US spec front bumper to my UK 00MY MK3.5 cabrio, please could someone point me in the right direction for the part number(s) I need to give the parts guy over here?

Thanks in advance:),
Andy

#93 ·
88 Cabriolet parts

I just bought an 88 volkswagon cabriolet and I am looking for parts for it. Not expensive parts. But I want it to look like some of the cars Ive seen on this site. Body moldings, bumpers, headlights, rims and tires, seats, engine components and mods, etc. Somebody help me if ya got information as to where I can get these. Thanks.

#94 ·
88 Cabby

Good Morning. Tryna to find out how to check my 88 cabriolet to make sure engine is running well. When I crank it the oil light is flashing. Why is that or what things do i need to check for this. Car seems to get hot after driving certain distance. What to check? It idles kinda high. What could be possible problem? Also after driving and parking again, seems a little hard to crank. Any suggestions or what any of these issues could be? Appreciate any help.

#97 ·
Serious Question about motor

Hello,

I have a 1986 Cabriolet. However my motor is a carburated motor, the motor has an H stamp on it from Germany which leads me to believe the car was imported from Germany. It the Wolfsberg/Karmann edition if that helps in Havana Brown with Leather and the steel bumpers. Help?

#102 ·
It is most definitely not the same... the "z" site copied the "s" site, which is why the "s" site reverted back to its old domain. What you need to do (and what Brian needs to do), is replace "mk1dubs.com" in each of those links with "the152.com". For example:
http://mk1dubs.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2636 should be
http://www.the152.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2636

Or, just go to http://www.toplessrabbit.com/forums/index.php ; all of briano1234's guides are posted there too.

:beer: