VWVortex.com - Did anybody get the updated Homelink programming instructions?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did anybody get the updated Homelink programming instructions?

1. 11-06-2003 04:06 PM #1
      I'm trying to program homelink for my new garage door opener and I'm having trouble. I remember receiving updated instructions in the mail but of course I didn't put them with the manual. Can anybody help me out here?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 11-06-2003 04:50 PM #2
      Just a poop sheet that says put your original garage door opener outside the windshield and in front of the homelink transmitter and not inside next to the homelink buttons.
      This would entail a reach a round with the front door open. Poop sheet says that some interference from the buttons may cause homelink not to program properly if original opener is place inside the vehicle next to the Homelink unit.

JD

4. 11-06-2003 05:11 PM #3
      very simple...follow the instructions....hold buttons 1 & 3 till they start to flash.
      Point the remote under the rear view mirror...press button 1 on the homelink pannel and the button of your garage door remote opener, hold till light flashes double quick...your done

5. 11-06-2003 05:12 PM #4
      I just put the originals as close to the front as possible from inside the vehicle and all 3 of mine work fine. The range seems better than the originals .
      Newton

6. 11-06-2003 05:13 PM #5
      If you email me, I'll send you a copy of the instructions. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

7. 11-06-2003 05:40 PM #6
      Thanks for the help guys, brenda has email.

8. 11-06-2003 06:22 PM #7
      Unlike GW Bush on an aircraft carrier, I can guarantee "mission accomplished!". Thanks for the help.
      ps...no more political commentary, back to regularly scheduled endless drivel about Touaregs.

9. 11-23-2003 11:46 PM #8
      Just another confirmation... pointing back from under the rear-view mirror worked for me. Pointing towards the front at the buttons never worked for me.

Modified by prwhite at 8:51 PM 11-23-2003

10. 11-24-2003 08:00 AM #9
      It took an lot of screwing around to program both my doors with both the Trex and my Audi. It was like the keystone cops with doors going up and down seemingly at random, but finally, it was actually pretty easy (once I gave up on trying to have different buttons work for the same door between cars)..
      > Set the learn mode in the car (I think it was hold the two outside buttons till it beeps? - can't remember exactly)
      > Push the learn button on the garage door opener
      > Scoot back to the car and hold down both the manual remote (so I can still use it) and the button you want on the homelink until the door starts going.
      Thats it. Pretty easy actually, though a bit*h to figure out initially. You can even set two doors to open and close together, or one go up and one go down with one button press (Don't ask how I found that out )
      Contendo Ergo Sum
      '85 AE86 (SCCA IT/B Race Car)
      '91 LS400/'99GS400 Hybrid (24hrs of Lemons Race Car)
      '04 Touareg (Wife's)
      '13 Beetle Turbo (Daily Driver; '17 M2 next up)

11. 11-24-2003 12:53 PM #10
      I had to go one step further with my craftsman Garage Door opener.
      First Step)
      Program the Homelink in the Touareg to be a remote control by holding buttons 1 and 3 until the light flashes.
      release the 2 buttons.
      push the button on the homelink that you want to program and while holding down the Homelink button, press the button on the remote for the garage door near the Homelink. (I kept pressing and releasing it until the Homelink started to flash faster)
      Step 2)
      Now that the Homelink is programmed to be a craftsman remote, push the learn button on the back of the garage door opener. ( the light on back will start to flash). Jump back in to your t-reg and push the button on the Homelink that you wanted to program.
      This was the only way i found to work with my rolling code garage door opener.

Vehicles
      2004 V6 Treg. 190K miles
      07-02-2004 08:37 PM #11
      Thanks so much. I followed the instructions in the manual but could not get it to work. I followed your instructions, voila!!
      Problem was: I was holding the remote next to the buttons (as the manual states) not under the rear veiw mirror.....

13. 07-27-2004 09:20 PM #12
      Folks - I tried to program homelink to be the garage door remote. Pushing buttons 1 and 3 to start the process does not lead to the light above it flashing. It just stays light no matter how long I hold them. Any suggestions? Tried with and without key in ignition, car running, car off. Can't seem to get to 1st base with my TReg. I assume Homelink module is busted ? Thanks - TB

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      07-27-2004 09:50 PM #13
      Car must be on and probably should be running just to be sure it is really on. Do any of the lights come on when you push one of the Homelink buttons?

15. 07-27-2004 10:37 PM #14
      Read all the instructions before this, but, when you do the LEARN PROCEDURE, push your homelink button twice, slowly... maybe even three times.
      I have followed the procedures at least a dozen time w/o success ...... It was suggested that I do the above (by my VW salesman) and it finally work on the second push of the Homelink button.

16. 07-27-2004 11:22 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by jeffdavison »
      Just a poop sheet that says put your original garage door opener outside the windshield and in front of the homelink transmitter and not inside next to the homelink buttons.
      JD

Also said that kicking, screaming and cursing also helps!

17. 07-30-2004 08:42 PM #16
      Finally got it to work after many, many tries - have no idea why - engine was running and had been running for some time - took about 20 seconds for the initial blinking to start and then it immediately recognized the garage transmitter signal and we were done..... screwy. Same advice as previously posed - try and try again, then try and try again..... May have had something to do with the fact that I was calling the Homelink 800 number listed in the owners manual and was listening to their version of the same instructions....???

18. 08-07-2004 01:54 PM #17
      Success at last! After a frustrating couple weeks of black magic and mystery potions, this forum has led me to the messiah. Although all of these steps have been mentioned here already, I will consolidate the approach that worked for me. And I am convinced that YOU CAN get yours configured. It is very picky.
      1) As mentioned, hold 1 and 3 on the VW Homelink (HL) for at least 20 secs to get the fast blink
      2) Release and select the HL button you would like to assign (I chose button #3)
      3) While holding button #3, I held the remote control inside the car, against the front windshield, under the mirror, aiming back up toward the HL unit, and pressed the button on the remote, holding both #3 and the remote. I slowly moved the remote control upwards under the mirror, continuing toward the HL unit. As I got just under the HL, it went to a fast blink and took the code.
      4) I then selected the Learn button on my Genie Garage Door opener one time to get it to begin blinking slowly
      5) Next I select button #3 on the HL. It started blinking slowly but did not appear to take. I released it and held #3 again for about 10 secs and Voila! Success
      6) Next to verify the process, I repeated it for button #1. That configuration required me to press and release button number #1 3 times before finally finishing Learn mode on the Genie.
      Good luck! Believe it or not it can be done!

Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI 6-speed DSG, black/black, Pan sunroof, 17" Goal Anthracite Alloy wheels, LLumar, Ipod
      08-07-2004 05:26 PM #18
      My Homelink only works if I have the key on. Is this a feature or a problem ? I would like to work regardless if the key is on or off....

Vehicles
      08-07-2004 05:33 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by 2YY4U »
      My Homelink only works if I have the key on. Is this a feature or a problem ? I would like to work regardless if the key is on or off....

This is normal for many vehicles. If you don't like it, you could probably run a hot wire to the Homelink module inplace of the switched wire.

Vehicles
      2010 JSW TDI 6-speed DSG, black/black, Pan sunroof, 17" Goal Anthracite Alloy wheels, LLumar, Ipod
      08-07-2004 07:34 PM #20
      Quote, originally posted by spockcat »
      This is normal for many vehicles. If you don't like it, you could probably run a hot wire to the Homelink module inplace of the switched wire.

Too bad... I had Benz and Jeep before and both worked the way that I wanted

Vehicles
      08-07-2004 09:43 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by 2YY4U »
      Too bad... I had Benz and Jeep before and both worked the way that I wanted

My wife's Audi is switched but my Dodge truck is on all the time. I don't recall exactly what my ML430 was.

23. 08-08-2004 12:14 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by mr.vw »
      very simple...follow the instructions....hold buttons 1 & 3 till they start to flash.
      Point the remote under the rear view mirror...press button 1 on the homelink pannel and the button of your garage door remote opener, hold till light flashes double quick...your done

[IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Perfect, simple and effective. Thanks

Vehicles
      08-08-2004 01:25 AM #23
      Exactly!
      The manual says to place the remote between the two lights close to the compass, but when I called Homelink, they told me to put under the read view mirror and I still had to go to my garage door machine and press the "learn" button.

25. 02-28-2005 02:20 PM #24
      Just a little update i just found out from homelink.
      I could not program my garage either, until i found out there is a difference when programing a regular door opener and a smaller keyring size door opener. The signals are different for some reason.
      Use the regular full size opener and everything should work per instructions.
      For the keyring size..program using one of the other buttons. It should work then too.

26. 03-08-2005 07:56 AM #25
      I am confused with my new V6. I have tried 5 days now with no luck. The Homelink does not work. The only procedure I have not tried is out of the windshield. Any suggestion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast