VWVortex.com - Who's the most under rated Band/Solo artist?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Who's the most under rated Band/Solo artist?

1. 09-28-2001 12:37 AM #1
      I've listed my choices, but please add your own. Who listens to Clutch? I think they are so original and awesome, but nobody seems to know or care who they are. And of course my all time favorite, Danzig. I don't care if I get flamed for this one, I do and always will think Glenn Danzig is a total musical genius. I also think Tom Petty is very under rated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1974 MGB; 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4-Motion DSG; 2017 Audi A4 Premium+, Sport+ MT
      09-28-2001 12:50 AM #2
      Tom Petty does do a great live show...I don't really know how he is "rated" though.
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

4. 09-28-2001 01:41 AM #3
      What I mean by under rated is there song writing ability is under appreciated.

5. 09-28-2001 09:52 AM #4
      The most underrated band today is Ween. Sure, they are beyond wierd, and their subject matter isn't the kind of love crap most top 40 bands have today, but they have an extreme amount of talent. They are so funny to see live, its so awesome! They are musical geniuses.

6. 09-28-2001 10:15 AM #5
      The last time this topic came around an argument broke out over the definition of "under rated" (Actually the topic was about "Over Rated" artists but the principal is the same). I usually define "under rated" as artists who do not receive the praise they deserve. The problem with using that definition is that artists like Stevie Ray Vaughan would be classified as "under rated" since no matter how much praise you heap upon them they still merit more. But I think that's a problem I can live with, and that definition is still better to me than a definition that relies on record reviewers and professional appreciators and their ilk.
      But I'm still faced with a problem since these polls only allow one choice and I could easily list a hundred artists who I feel are under rated without listing universally acclaimed artists like Stevie Ray.
      Nils Lofgren
      Tonio K
      Donnie Iris
      Concrete Blonde (Johnette Napolitano as solo artist also)
      Peter Kingsbery
      Maria McKee
      T Bone Burnette
      Wanderlust
      **** Robin

I’ve probably already begun to bore most people so I’ll stop there.

[Modified by nelam, 12:34 PM 9-28-2001]

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero,1988 Supra
      09-28-2001 12:30 PM #6
      Agreed underrated is hard to define.Also the Band to ultimately come out on top of this poll probably isn't underrated after all.
      Duran Duran for example are kind of laughed at by some people but they do have a couple excellent musicians.And chances are that if most of you haven't heard of some of the other one's choices(provided they were talented) they are most likely underrated
      Nelam,I think T Bone Burnette is more revered as a producer and arranger.
      Here's some of my choices:
      Cathal Coughlan
      American Music Club- Critic darlings but low sales.
      Superstar
      Jellyfish
      The Chills
      Straightjacket Fits
      The Posies
      many many more

8. 09-28-2001 12:36 PM #7
      quote:

Nelam,I think T Bone Burnette is more revered as a producer and arranger.

A big reason he doesn't get nearly enough credit for his song writing and singing.

9. 09-28-2001 12:38 PM #8
      a list of bands that are underrated can go on forever. its been not more than a minute since i opened this thread and i've already got 10-15 bands stirring around in my head i could list. starting a poll on it is just kind of pointless.

10. Member
      09-28-2001 02:16 PM #9
      quote:
      The most underrated band today is Ween. Sure, they are beyond wierd, and their subject matter isn't the kind of love crap most top 40 bands have today, but they have an extreme amount of talent. They are so funny to see live, its so awesome! They are musical geniuses.
      Mr. would you please help my pony...

Vehicles
      2014 Subaru Crosstek Limited
      09-28-2001 04:42 PM #10
      I added cEvin Key (Skinny Puppy, Download, Doubting Thomas, platEAU, Hilt, Tear Garden, Cyberaktif, and solo work of course). If this long list of bands doesn't tell you he's under rated, I don't know what does. I also would like to add Mike Patton of Mr. Bungle and Faith No More. Nobody gets him. He's got one of the most diverse voices around. Not too fond of his solo experimental work though.
      Present: 2014 Subaru Crosstek Limited (Desert Khaki)

Past: 2006 Mazda3 hatchback | 1998 GTI VR6 | 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 | 1993 Nissan Stanza | 1992 Honda Prelude Si | 1990 Honda Accord LX Coupe

Vehicles
      15 GTI, 71 911T, 94 Ranger XLT
      09-29-2001 12:17 AM #11
      you just knew I'd say this...but.....BOB MOULD...I mean yeah Husker Du is considered to be all sorts of important and influential or whatever, but it seems like Bob's solo stuff doesnt get the due it deserves.

13. 09-30-2001 06:52 PM #12
      Ween

14. 10-01-2001 03:29 PM #13
      Jeff Martin of the Tea Party

15. 10-03-2001 01:35 AM #14
      quote:
      Ween is the [email protected] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      1974 MGB; 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4-Motion DSG; 2017 Audi A4 Premium+, Sport+ MT
      10-08-2001 01:12 AM #15
      How could anybody put rush? I would never call them underated. Musically they are good, lyrically...they need HELP! (and they need a new singer who still has testicles)
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

17. 10-17-2001 03:28 PM #16
      Of those on the list, I agree with Tom Petty. I would also add Sting to the list. They're both far from what I normally listen to (classic alternative late-80s stuff), but there's a ton of talent there.
      T.C.

18. Banned
      10-18-2001 10:39 AM #17
      COC by far