Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Heater Core fix

Vehicles
      89 Cabby, 87 Cabby, 85 Cabby, 90 Jetta, 83 GTI
      12-12-2003 08:15 PM #1
      Well, its winter here in Indiana and of all the problems I expected to have with my Cabby no heat wasn;t one of them.
      So I started out figuring out how the heater system worked. First the fan needed new brushes. Then I wondered about the vacuum lines so I traced those and found some in the wrong places. Fixed that. Then I checked the heater valve. Works fine. So I changed the thermostat. Old one was working but new one is hotter. So now it's time to tackle the heater box.
      If you read the diagrams in your Bentley you'll notice the pics don't really show the core's location in the black "turd" as it's affectionately referred to. So I tried to remove the thing and found it to be a major beetch.
      First you remove the kneebar cover (easy) then the knee bar itself (forst remove the engine CPU on the passenger side and then the fuse box from the drivers side) See pic one. Then remove the dashboard (Ok I stopped at this point and looked for alternatives).
      So I punted and cut a hole to ease/yank the core out sideways. See pic 2.
      This was complicated by the end cover that goes over the hoses or I should say "according to the Bentley" goes over the hoses cause the hoses really go thru the cover. Crap!! I'll deal with that later.
      Ok pull out the core and check for leaks (none) and flow (some). Let's look inside the friggin black box and see how it works since no one at Bentley bothered to .
      Air enters the car thru the air inlet (catchy name huh?) and is moved by the fan to the backside of the box. It then passes thru the A/C core which would cool the air if it was working (a summer project) that air either goes out the A/C outlets on each side of the dash or thru the heater core which is next in line. Then it's heated (supposedly) and exits either thru the defroster vents or the heater vents (at floor level) depending on your dash panel settings. There is a vacuum servo that switches between defrost and heater on the drivers side of the box. There's a servo on the right top of the box that opens for center vent operations. There is one more servo on the air inlet in the engine compartment rain tray. This allows fresh air in at all times except in heater mode when it switches to recycle cabin air so you're heating the already warmed air for a quicker heating of the poor freezing driver.

pull the core out gently, but you'll probably have to yank pretty hard.

The last pic shows the holes that go THRU the cover. Modify this so it will go over the hoses without needing to remove the hoses from the core.
      This daigram shows the flow of air thru the system. Blue show cold air, red shows hot. Not show are the flaps for the heater and defroster sections. Face it if you have hot air who cares where the heck it comes out?

Modified by Moljinar at 8:17 AM 12-21-2003

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      Things with wheels, sometimes upside down
      12-12-2003 11:29 PM #2
      BIG THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      FJ and Benz project pics on Instagram: G60CAB

82 500 SEC......Roadhaus
      07 FJ...............Icon CDC w/o sways, 315/70/17s, overland prepped, likes large rocks
      99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

4. 12-13-2003 01:57 AM #3
      from experience, there is no easy heater core replacement job. the easiest one ive ever done was in a 92 jeep wrangler, just drop the plastic box, remove the access panel, replace core. this was kinda a hard one too but the easiest one ive done. i will not be driving my cabby in the winter so i dont have to worry about heat really except for cool nights in the fall. ac is another issue, im turboing the car and the ac didnt work to begin with so i just removed most of the ac system

5. 12-13-2003 07:09 PM #4
      I am all the more glad I insisted on buying my cabby without a/c.
      A heater core change is bad enough when it's a simple mechanical arrangement without vacuum hoses and doodads.

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      12-15-2003 12:30 PM #5
      Thank the car gods I live in a warm climate!
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      12-15-2003 12:59 PM #6
      LOL, my heater core is fine. Too bad the stupid coolant valve is stuck open and I have heat whether I want it or not!
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett, BRZlord

8. 12-15-2003 01:02 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by kamzcab86 »
      Thank the car gods I live in a warm climate!

what is the coldest it gets there?

Vehicles
      12-15-2003 01:18 PM #8
      It'll be in the high '60s this week (70 on Friday ); nights get down to about 40. It does get colder than those at times: 50s day, 30s night (we get occasional freeze warnings). In the high country, where it snows (and where I lived for 6 years) it'll get below freezing at night and the coldest days are usually are in the teens; but the average winter day high is in the 40s (i.e. our night temps are their day temps, for the most part). Last winter the mountains did get enough snow (warmest winter on record I think) so the one ski resort with no snow-making machines yet opened for a total of like 2 weeks!
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Vehicles
      12-16-2003 05:41 PM #9
      Well, the new heater core has arrived! Only 67 US dollars at AutoZone AND it comes with a lifetime guarantee. Best price I found anywhere. So I'll put it in tomorrow and we'll see if I can get the temps above freezing in my Cabby.

Vehicles
      Things with wheels, sometimes upside down
      12-16-2003 06:36 PM #10
      Mine works pretty good, but only puts out half what it could. But I start my car like 15 minutes before I leave to school, and it is always toasty warm!
      FJ and Benz project pics on Instagram: G60CAB

82 500 SEC......Roadhaus
      07 FJ...............Icon CDC w/o sways, 315/70/17s, overland prepped, likes large rocks
      99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

Vehicles
      12-17-2003 10:48 AM #11
      Leave it to JC Whitney to solve my heating problems. An electric blanket for 12volts!

Vehicles
      12-17-2003 12:16 PM #12

Now we're talking!! Perfect for those chilly top-down days! Hey, with that my old Cab could have seated seats!! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      12-21-2003 08:15 AM #13
      Hooray!!! I have heat!!! I put the new core in and sealed everything up and I have plenty of heat now. It was 40 degrees yesterday and I almost put the top down I might survive the winter yet.

15. 04-04-2004 02:50 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by kamzcab86 »

Now we're talking!! Perfect for those chilly top-down days! Hey, with that my old Cab could have seated seats!! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

i just had german seat heaters installed in my upholstery. now to get the circuitry in place....
      thakns molj for the writeup!

16. 04-05-2004 12:01 PM #15
      > This allows fresh air in at all times except in heater mode when it switches to recycle cabin air
      I would've guessed that it was for the MAX (big snowflake!) position on the A/C, not the heater?
      At the moment it doesn't seem to close properly in my car even when directly attached to a Mityvac, so I guess I'll have to take it apart.

Vehicles
      04-05-2004 03:33 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by chrisprocyk »
      >
      I would've guessed that it was for the MAX (big snowflake!) position on the A/C, not the heater?

That may be true. I haven't debugged the AC yet. Its till 28 degrees here at night

Vehicles
      1980 vw red rabbit 4dr. sexy
      12-18-2004 03:02 PM #17
      anyone care to change mines??
      I want the old vortex back!!!
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/672651/1