VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the High Beams with OEM HIDs

174K views 195 replies 82 participants last post by  victorveselinov 
#1 ·
After putting in OEM Bora HIDs a month ago and wanting the factory setup with High and Low Beams together (like the Golf/GTI) I searched high and low
for a DIY or FAQ on the web without success so I decided to tackle this with the help of the Bentley and create a quick how to.
Tools and Parts Needed
Steering Wheel Removal Apparatus (Torx T55 or Star Tool and Torque Wrench)
VW 1.5mm Wire Repair Kit with Single Wide Connector (Part #???)
Barrel Wire Splice
Phillips #1 (at least 7")
Torx T25 Driver
Wire Cutters/Strippers
The Factory Setup is with a 1.5mm (16ga?) green/yellow wire running to terminal 58b on the turn signal stalk. The Factory setup for Golf has this same wire running to Terminal 56* (yes star/asterisk) on the headlight switch.
1) Remove the Steering Wheel & Airbag (Bentley / or Look for Posts on MFA Stalk or R32 Wheel install) - Be Sure to Disconnect the Battery before starting the Airbag
2) Remove the upper and lower covers of the steering column (2 Screws front, 2 Screws Bottom Plus a Torx screw with washer and the two torx screws holding the column adjuster handle)
3) At this point if you look at the turn signal stalk you should see 2 connectors one with wires coming out the back towards the instruments and another coming out the top with some smaller gauge wires (these are for the cruise control).
4) Locate the Yellow/Green Wire coming out of pin 8 on the turn signal stalk and cut it (yellow circle) I left some extra from the back of the connector in case I want to go back to the Factory Single Bulb 9007 lights later

5) Cutoff one of the ends of the 1.5mm VW Wire Repair Kit and strip back the wire on this cut end and the wire harness side leading into the dash (not the Turn Signal Switch Side) 1/4" as appropriate and connect and crimp with the wire splice. (White Circle)
6) Since this wire must move with the adjustable steering column make sure to follow the existing wire harness back under the dash board. I did this by tracing the existing harness path by placing zip ties every couple of inches (red circles) and wrapping electrical tape at the top (green circle)
7) Pop Out the Headlight Switch and turn it over to locate pin #7 (white arrow). Feed the wire from the turn signal harness behind the dash and into the light switch hole. I was able to do this by feeding a stiff wire in through the light switch hole and out the steering column then taping the wire to it and pulling it back through.

8) Push the wire repair kit end into the hole at #7 on the headlight switch connector until it snaps into place and cannot be removed. (orange circle)
9) Assembly is the reverse of removal. The Steering wheel and column should have marks to align them and the steering wheel bolt torque is 37 ft/lbs. The steering wheel bolt should have a punch mark added to it to show it's been removed. (It should be replaced after 5 removals). See posts in step one for more detailed steps.
Enjoy your OEM Hids as the VAG Engineers intended. Since this is the factory setup everything works as expected including Flash to Pass, Dash Highbeam Icon, Fogs Off with High Beams on, DRL's etc.
Notes
* - The Pictures show more disassembly than is actually required due to testing while implementing
* - Sorry I don't have the 1.5mm (16ga) Wire Repair Kit part number (I walked into the dealer at 10min before closing, paid cash for the $2 part and didn't keep the receipt (ooops)
* - This goes without saying but don't try this with the Jetta single bulb lights (9007/H4). You will likely melt your headlight housing from the heat and cause your bulb to fail very prematurely - it just wasn't designed for this.

Modified by drowningman at 12:09 PM 12-27-2003

See less See more
#177 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (tamorgen)

alright. so i'm dumb. i have retrofited jetta headlights with bixenon projectors. i need the low beam's to sstay on when i flip the hi-beams on. what are my options. and with the 3 to 7 mod thing will the drl's be on all the time?

Modified by DASvolkswagen at 5:00 PM 6-15-2009

#188 ·
alright. so i'm dumb. i have retrofited jetta headlights with bixenon projectors. i need the low beam's to sstay on when i flip the hi-beams on. what are my options. and with the 3 to 7 mod thing will the drl's be on all the time?

Modified by DASvolkswagen at 5:00 PM 6-15-2009
This:banghead:

#178 ·
I have the helix hids lows and Halogen highs.. I have the euro switch and the hated angel eyes LOL.. so I have no lights on unless I turn the euro switch then on,y my angel eyes come on.. If I do the 3 to 7 splice will the lights still function the same except give me highs/lows on at the same time also or will I lose any functions that I have now? To bad there was not a dang vag/vad mod like there was on my touareg for this.. It would be so much easier to program it.

#179 ·
I have the helix hids lows and Halogen highs.. I have the euro switch and the hated angel eyes LOL.. so I have no lights on unless I turn the euro switch then on,y my angel eyes come on.. If I do the 3 to 7 splice will the lights still function the same except give me highs/lows on at the same time also or will I lose any functions that I have now? To bad there was not a dang vag/vad mod like there was on my touareg for this.. It would be so much easier to program it.

#180 ·
Re: (rhussjr)

Quote, originally posted by rhussjr »
It could be the relay giving you problems. All I had to do is move my wires as stated above and I was in business. Now, all I have to do is run my wiring out to the headlights to activate the fogs and back to the tail lights to activate the rear fog. I will be doing that next week, as I am off work and will be installing my MFA Euro cluster and need to run my OAT wire out to the front bumper, so I will do it all at one time.

so as stated on the previous page I've replaced the relay on my headlight setup for the DRL's and I still have no functionality for my lows being on with my high beams. I even moved the wire from pin 7 to 3 or whatever and put the spliced wire in the other slot. I had originally had jetta ecodes before I swapped my front end for a golf headlight setup and used this DIY . after removing the relay 173 (drl load reduction relay) I have not had any luck when replacing the relay. I put the factory one back in and I tried another relay. short of checking things via wiring diagrams I am at a loss. I have a different set of headlights since my original swap and have tried different headlight switch as well.
anyone have any suggestions here? or can anyone get me the wiring diagrams for the headlight circuits for both a jetta and a gti? thanks in advance for the help. I've been spending a lot of time going

#181 ·
Re: (NH_Bora+)

got it figured out. since my car didn't come with oem fogs, and I pulled the relay ages ago. I put the relay in position 3 in the lower bank rather than in position 7. hence no workie. I also discovered that my brake light on the dash for the e-brake now works again. I always wondered why that didn't work. it's like a whole other world driving at night and not having to hold the stalk back for highs and lows. after I pulled the knee bar and saw the two relay positions I just went

this is the best mod and the most satisfying fix after six months. I should have just pulled my car apart sooner.

Modified by NH_Bora+ at 10:36 PM 9-21-2009

#185 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (.:baker)

I just really want to point out to people they really SHOULD NOT just move the wire from 3 to 7.
3 is DRLs. The wire from the DRL relay 173 is not large enough to carry the current required to run your lights.
That is why the 1.5mm wire is on the switch on golfs and on the dimmer switch on Jettas. That is is the wire that sends power to the headlights when they are on full. Not the 0.5mm (or 1.0mm, I can't remember) wire after the 173 relay. Have a look at the bentley, you'll see what I'm talking about.
The ideal way to do this is to unplug from the dimmer stalk and pull the wire back to the light switch and plug it into slot #7. This is the factory method and you will be using the proper gauge of wire.

#190 ·
:confused: Thats me after reading this thread :D....maybe it'll make more sense when I look at the harness. Has anyone had any ill effects with this mod long term? I can't seem to shake the thought that there is a reason our cars did not come with this functionality stock.....I mean will it draw too much power having both lights powered at once, too much heat if both lights are on for a long period of time, etc. Also, anyone do this mod on a mkiv R32?

#192 ·
OEM HID's wired

Installed the HIDs and wired them with them with the Green/Yellow routed to Pin 7, and the DRL Relay Coil disabled and the relay hard wired internally to the default position. Result, thanks to this thread: No more DRL, and the High and Low Beams come on at the same time, and the flash works without triggering the low beams.
Many thanks!!!!
PS. I did try the jumper from Pin 3 to Pin 7, but as I have disabled the DRL Relay, this had no effect.

#193 ·
Hi Folks. Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I have a 03 jetta that I put euro headlights in. I did a hid projector retrofit. I got my low beams working through a relay harness I built and when I pull back on the headlight stalk I get high beams from my bixenon projectors pulling the sheild away. When I push it back I get the projector shield moving but no hid output. I've tried relocating pin 3 to pin 7 but it doesn't do anything. I should also note I don't remember having DRLs ever on this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.