VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the High Beams with OEM HIDs

174K views 195 replies 82 participants last post by  victorveselinov 
#1 ·
After putting in OEM Bora HIDs a month ago and wanting the factory setup with High and Low Beams together (like the Golf/GTI) I searched high and low
for a DIY or FAQ on the web without success so I decided to tackle this with the help of the Bentley and create a quick how to.
Tools and Parts Needed
Steering Wheel Removal Apparatus (Torx T55 or Star Tool and Torque Wrench)
VW 1.5mm Wire Repair Kit with Single Wide Connector (Part #???)
Barrel Wire Splice
Phillips #1 (at least 7")
Torx T25 Driver
Wire Cutters/Strippers
The Factory Setup is with a 1.5mm (16ga?) green/yellow wire running to terminal 58b on the turn signal stalk. The Factory setup for Golf has this same wire running to Terminal 56* (yes star/asterisk) on the headlight switch.
1) Remove the Steering Wheel & Airbag (Bentley / or Look for Posts on MFA Stalk or R32 Wheel install) - Be Sure to Disconnect the Battery before starting the Airbag
2) Remove the upper and lower covers of the steering column (2 Screws front, 2 Screws Bottom Plus a Torx screw with washer and the two torx screws holding the column adjuster handle)
3) At this point if you look at the turn signal stalk you should see 2 connectors one with wires coming out the back towards the instruments and another coming out the top with some smaller gauge wires (these are for the cruise control).
4) Locate the Yellow/Green Wire coming out of pin 8 on the turn signal stalk and cut it (yellow circle) I left some extra from the back of the connector in case I want to go back to the Factory Single Bulb 9007 lights later

5) Cutoff one of the ends of the 1.5mm VW Wire Repair Kit and strip back the wire on this cut end and the wire harness side leading into the dash (not the Turn Signal Switch Side) 1/4" as appropriate and connect and crimp with the wire splice. (White Circle)
6) Since this wire must move with the adjustable steering column make sure to follow the existing wire harness back under the dash board. I did this by tracing the existing harness path by placing zip ties every couple of inches (red circles) and wrapping electrical tape at the top (green circle)
7) Pop Out the Headlight Switch and turn it over to locate pin #7 (white arrow). Feed the wire from the turn signal harness behind the dash and into the light switch hole. I was able to do this by feeding a stiff wire in through the light switch hole and out the steering column then taping the wire to it and pulling it back through.

8) Push the wire repair kit end into the hole at #7 on the headlight switch connector until it snaps into place and cannot be removed. (orange circle)
9) Assembly is the reverse of removal. The Steering wheel and column should have marks to align them and the steering wheel bolt torque is 37 ft/lbs. The steering wheel bolt should have a punch mark added to it to show it's been removed. (It should be replaced after 5 removals). See posts in step one for more detailed steps.
Enjoy your OEM Hids as the VAG Engineers intended. Since this is the factory setup everything works as expected including Flash to Pass, Dash Highbeam Icon, Fogs Off with High Beams on, DRL's etc.
Notes
* - The Pictures show more disassembly than is actually required due to testing while implementing
* - Sorry I don't have the 1.5mm (16ga) Wire Repair Kit part number (I walked into the dealer at 10min before closing, paid cash for the $2 part and didn't keep the receipt (ooops)
* - This goes without saying but don't try this with the Jetta single bulb lights (9007/H4). You will likely melt your headlight housing from the heat and cause your bulb to fail very prematurely - it just wasn't designed for this.

Modified by drowningman at 12:09 PM 12-27-2003

See less See more
#29 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (Mp3Supply)

yeah whattup man...those were some crazy parties there...sux for the rain though...yeah it was me...i came across this thread from royale fo my buddies retrofit im doing for him for free...ill show ya pics when its all said and done bro

#35 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (2004turbo)

Quote, originally posted by 2004turbo »
so this would only work on HID's? thanks

On your JETTA you have ONE BULB with high and low unlike the Jetta OE HID and Golf halogen and HID, hence the issue!
The bulbs wouldn't last long and you might cause heat issues within your headlights!

#36 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (www.Euro-Cullen.com)

Quote, originally posted by www.Euro-Cullen.com »

On your JETTA you have ONE BULB with high and low unlike the Jetta OE HID and Golf halogen and HID, hence the issue!
The bulbs wouldn't last long and you might cause heat issues within your headlights!

yep exactly, it would be twice (or more) the heat in the same spot and thats not recommended, thats the reason why Jetta come with that feature disabled and Golfs dont

#38 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (www.Euro-Cullen.com)

This is the email i sent to drowningman, but if any of you have any ideas, please let me know....

I saw your post on the mod to get the high beams on with the low beams on a jetta. I just bought a pair of OEM Hid's and would really like to do this modification, for safe driving at night.

I went out and bought the wire from VW, opened up the car, didn't remove the steering wheel, just the top plastic cover and fuse box. And then i realized that i have absolutely no slack to work with the yellow and green striped wire. After debating for a while about whether to spend the time doing this, i noticed, on the headlight switch adapter, that there was a yellow and green wire going into this adapter, so i started to think it was the same wire coming from the turn stalk. I then wondered why you wouldn't just say to cut the wire from this area and then splice it with the wiring kit. So my first question, is this indeed the same yellow and green striped wire that is coming from the turn stalk?

Second, if so, i noticed that this wire plugged into the "TFL" slot of the actual headlight switch, which i remember i put tape in, because i wanted to disable my daytime running lamps. Now, if i do this modification, will my dtrl's be on again? I would like to keep them off. That's what lead me to believe maybe the wire going into the adapter for the switch was a different but same colored wire coming from the turn stalk? Or is this something different?

I really would like to do this mod, because we have a "Deery" area, and i don't like the fact of just having high beams shooting up, and no immediate light source. Do you have any other suggestions, or have heard anything from anyone else on how maybe to approach this?

Modified by psuvr6 at 10:19 AM 6-22-2005

#39 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (psuvr6)

I just did this, so here is some feedback and clarification as it was not clear to me if you needed to clip the wire or just tap into it.
Before I forget, to answer an earlier question, you cannot use the existing green/yellow wire at the switch, it's different.
The green/yellow wire at the steering column is the same that is present at the top left of the fusebox in 2 slots. My intention was to simply tap there, but you cannot. Let me explain.
Remove the lower covers as needed so you can snake the wire to the steering column area. Access to the fusebox itself is not needed.
Then, remove the steering column cover so you can see the wires:

Find the yellow/green wire:

You want to snip this wire. The side of the wire going TO the column has 12v when the low beams are on, and 0v when the high beam switch is engaged. Tape this wire up well.
The other side, into the car, is now dead. This is the wire you are going to connect to pin 7 of the headlight switch, which has 12v once you plug in the repair wire and the headlight switch is on. This terminal has voltage for both low and high beams, so the low beams always stay on, even when you engage the high beams.
Hope this helps.

#43 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (FishNiX)

Quote, originally posted by FishNiX »
why dont the HID distributers add this functionality to their harness adapters? just a thought...

cause everyone should have the necessary basic stuff to do it at all times anyway

#44 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (FishNiX)

Quote, originally posted by FishNiX »
why dont the HID distributers add this functionality to their harness adapters? just a thought...

Probably because that would require relays = added complexity and cost.

#46 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (EternalMind)

OK, back to the top from the dead. Anyway, I'm confused. I have a Jetta with a 337 Front end. I'm running the 337 factory headlights with fogs and city lights. I have Silverstars in the main headlight. Can I safely use this mod on my car? I don't want to melt the plastic lenses or burn out bulbs. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#49 ·
Re: (03 gli24vvr6)

This is an old post, but a good one. Any idea how to do the opposite? I have a GTI with Jetta front end. From the sounds of this post I'm running with both filaments hot when the high beams are on. I haven't had issues with the setup yet, but I don't want to either... I don't have plans on gettings OEM HIDS anytime, so I'd love to know if there is a fix... I couldn't find anything in search....

#51 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the High Beams with OEM (dennisgli)

Quote, originally posted by dennisgli »
You just do the opposite - disconnect the wire from the 56* terminal on the light switch and connect it to the 58b terminal on the turn signal/dimmer switch.

Sweet thanks!!! That makes sense!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.