VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the High Beams with OEM HIDs

175K views 195 replies 82 participants last post by  victorveselinov 
#1 ·
After putting in OEM Bora HIDs a month ago and wanting the factory setup with High and Low Beams together (like the Golf/GTI) I searched high and low
for a DIY or FAQ on the web without success so I decided to tackle this with the help of the Bentley and create a quick how to.
Tools and Parts Needed
Steering Wheel Removal Apparatus (Torx T55 or Star Tool and Torque Wrench)
VW 1.5mm Wire Repair Kit with Single Wide Connector (Part #???)
Barrel Wire Splice
Phillips #1 (at least 7")
Torx T25 Driver
Wire Cutters/Strippers
The Factory Setup is with a 1.5mm (16ga?) green/yellow wire running to terminal 58b on the turn signal stalk. The Factory setup for Golf has this same wire running to Terminal 56* (yes star/asterisk) on the headlight switch.
1) Remove the Steering Wheel & Airbag (Bentley / or Look for Posts on MFA Stalk or R32 Wheel install) - Be Sure to Disconnect the Battery before starting the Airbag
2) Remove the upper and lower covers of the steering column (2 Screws front, 2 Screws Bottom Plus a Torx screw with washer and the two torx screws holding the column adjuster handle)
3) At this point if you look at the turn signal stalk you should see 2 connectors one with wires coming out the back towards the instruments and another coming out the top with some smaller gauge wires (these are for the cruise control).
4) Locate the Yellow/Green Wire coming out of pin 8 on the turn signal stalk and cut it (yellow circle) I left some extra from the back of the connector in case I want to go back to the Factory Single Bulb 9007 lights later

5) Cutoff one of the ends of the 1.5mm VW Wire Repair Kit and strip back the wire on this cut end and the wire harness side leading into the dash (not the Turn Signal Switch Side) 1/4" as appropriate and connect and crimp with the wire splice. (White Circle)
6) Since this wire must move with the adjustable steering column make sure to follow the existing wire harness back under the dash board. I did this by tracing the existing harness path by placing zip ties every couple of inches (red circles) and wrapping electrical tape at the top (green circle)
7) Pop Out the Headlight Switch and turn it over to locate pin #7 (white arrow). Feed the wire from the turn signal harness behind the dash and into the light switch hole. I was able to do this by feeding a stiff wire in through the light switch hole and out the steering column then taping the wire to it and pulling it back through.

8) Push the wire repair kit end into the hole at #7 on the headlight switch connector until it snaps into place and cannot be removed. (orange circle)
9) Assembly is the reverse of removal. The Steering wheel and column should have marks to align them and the steering wheel bolt torque is 37 ft/lbs. The steering wheel bolt should have a punch mark added to it to show it's been removed. (It should be replaced after 5 removals). See posts in step one for more detailed steps.
Enjoy your OEM Hids as the VAG Engineers intended. Since this is the factory setup everything works as expected including Flash to Pass, Dash Highbeam Icon, Fogs Off with High Beams on, DRL's etc.
Notes
* - The Pictures show more disassembly than is actually required due to testing while implementing
* - Sorry I don't have the 1.5mm (16ga) Wire Repair Kit part number (I walked into the dealer at 10min before closing, paid cash for the $2 part and didn't keep the receipt (ooops)
* - This goes without saying but don't try this with the Jetta single bulb lights (9007/H4). You will likely melt your headlight housing from the heat and cause your bulb to fail very prematurely - it just wasn't designed for this.

Modified by drowningman at 12:09 PM 12-27-2003

See less See more
#102 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (vickieblack)

Sorry to bring this up again but I was bit confused.

Do I move the wire from slot #3 to slot #7..........

Or do I add a wire to #7 and tap it into wire #3.......
Where do I get the extra connecting tab for the wire???

#104 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (SHAG WAGON)

i tried moving the green and yellow wire in pin #3 to pin location #7 last night. it did NOT cause my high beams and low beams to stay on at the same time. i have an 02 1.8t Jetta with OEM HID's and a Euro switch. i guess i'll try tapping it soon. Hope this helps.

#107 ·
Re: (drbobshowmaster)

My problem is that I did the front end swap a long time ago.
But now I did a bi-xenon setup and I really don't care about the high beams on the Golf/GTI headlights that I have.
I just have to figure out how to wire it up properly so that when I hit the high beams the low beam stays on too.

#114 ·
Re: (vickieblack)

Quote, originally posted by vickieblack »
i have not seen this. but i wonder if there is a short drop in current when switching to high beams.
one of these days i'll get out there with my Multimeter and see if that is true.

vickieblack are you running HID lows? did you find out if there is a voltage drop? i want to do this to a friends car with HID lows, but don't want to tax the ballasts and have flickering issues...

Modified by Slalom at 11:12 AM 9-13-2008

#116 ·
Re:

well i helped a friend install some new FK lights on his mk4 jetta wagon this weekend... here's my findings on the different ways to perform the high-low mod:
1. diode that jumpers between low and high beam wires at headlight harness:
works fine if you're running halogen lows and highs... BUT if you're running HID lows, then this is not the ideal way to do it because if you use the flash-to-pass function (pull back on turn signal stalk), then the low beam HIDs will get flashed too... something you don't want to be doing, as quick on-off hits of power to the ballasts will shorten their lives.
2. adding a pin to the #7 position of the headlight switch harness and then tapping it into the wire in position #3:
this also works, BUT there is a voltage drop to the low beams when the highs come on… so if you’re running halogen lows and highs then this is not a big deal, other than your low beams will have a dimmer output (because they are being powered by the low voltage DRL circuit) when the highs are switched on, some may notice the lower light output, some may not. There is a second BUT… if you’re running HID low beams, then the ballasts are not going to like the lower voltage of the DRL circuit, which will likely cause the HIDs to flicker… not a good thing.
3. removing the steering wheel and column covers to cut and tap into the yellow/green wire:
the method that started this whole thread is truly (IMHO) the best way to do this, it of course is not the easiest way to do it, but the results are the most factory-like in that when you flash-to-pass only the high beams light up and there is no voltage drop to the lows when switching on the highs so it’s HID safe. It can be done without removing the steering wheel and lower half of the steering column cover (which is what we did since we don’t have the right tools to get the wheel off), but it would have provided a little better access to the harness and wire had we been able to get the wheel off.
hope my little summary helps clear some things up!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#117 ·
Re: Re: (Slalom)

Quote, originally posted by Slalom »

3. removing the steering wheel and column covers to cut and tap into the yellow/green wire:
the method that started this whole thread is truly (IMHO) the best way to do this, it of course is not the easiest way to do it, but the results are the most factory-like in that when you flash-to-pass only the high beams light up and there is no voltage drop to the lows when switching on the highs so it’s HID safe. It can be done without removing the steering wheel and lower half of the steering column cover (which is what we did since we don’t have the right tools to get the wheel off), but it would have provided a little better access to the harness and wire had we been able to get the wheel off.
hope my little summary helps clear some things up!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Isn't the yellow/green wire that is connected to pin 8 on the turn signal stalk the same one that goes to the headlight switch????

If so isn't a lot easier just to snip the the yellow/green wire from the headlight switch and connect it to the VW wire repair kit and then connect the VW repair kit into hole #7 into the headlight switch??

#118 ·
thank you for the update since i keep forgetting to do that. just means when i run HID's i'll run a relay and tap directly off the battery. ;-)
pin 8? hmm... i do not get the low's on when i flash to pass.. and instead of cutting just slide a paper clip into the front of the harness and push the female connector out the back.

#119 ·
Re: (vickieblack)

thank you for the update since i keep forgetting to do that. just means when i run HID's i'll run a relay and tap directly off the battery. ;-)
pin 8? hmm... i do not get the low's on when i flash to pass.. and instead of cutting just slide a paper clip into the front of the harness and push the female connector out the back.

yes i would have taken the pin out of the harness, but without being able to get the steering wheel off (and thus the lower column cover), the harness would not easily come out (if at all)

#120 ·
Re: Re: (SHAG WAGON)

Quote, originally posted by SHAG WAGON »

Isn't the yellow/green wire that is connected to pin 8 on the turn signal stalk the same one that goes to the headlight switch????
If so isn't a lot easier just to snip the the yellow/green wire from the headlight switch and connect it to the VW wire repair kit and then connect the VW repair kit into hole #7 into the headlight switch??

apparently it isn't the "same" wire... somewhere earlier in this thread someone tried that and it didn't work... I didn't try it so I can't say for sure... we wanted to see how the column all came apart anyway

#121 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (drowningman)

Hello, please send me a link if I am posting in the wrong spot.
I have a 2004 Jetta and I am retrofitting some A6 bi xenons into a set of stock headlights.
My question is, what wiring will I have to deal with to get the shutter to work so that whenever i hit my high beam lever the shutter opens?
Do i have to remove the steering wheel and follow all the above steps?
Also, how the heck do i send private messages??? I tried instant messaging and it seems like it doesn't work, is there a rank you have to be in order to send pm's?
Thank you

#122 ·
Re: HOWTO: MkIV Jetta High Beams with Low Beams on aka Jumpering the Hi ... (zman88)

Quote, originally posted by zman88 »

I have a 2004 Jetta and I am retrofitting some A6 bi xenons into a set of stock headlights.
My question is, what wiring will I have to deal with to get the shutter to work so that whenever i hit my high beam lever the shutter opens?
Do i have to remove the steering wheel and follow all the above steps?
Thank you

likely yes...

#125 ·
Re: (andar)

Quote, originally posted by andar »
so i'm not really a huge fan of cutting any of my stock wiring,
even though its more work, could i just run a wire from that pin 7 to my low beam connection at the headlight and bypass the original wiring?

i used the repair kit and just used an inline tap.

this may not be "proper" but it does mimic the GTI wiring from the light switch back.

Quote, originally posted by SHAG WAGON »

try that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.