Following in the famous footsteps and generally useful format of MrDave, I will post a series of descriptions of the process I went through to place a TDI into my custom made 1981 crew cab VW pickup.
I don't have as many pictures as I wanted, because of a computer crash, but IM me if you want to know if I have pictures or want some more specific information on a procedure described in the descriptions to follow.
The first step was to accept that when my 1.6 liter diesel would not start anymore (298,000 miles and about 300 psi in each cylinder), that it really was dead and needed replacement.
I wanted a TDI!!!!
So I started the process by searching forums on VWVortex and Fred's TDI websites and buying a totalled 1996 B4 Passat (front end damage, but no motor damage) containing a 1Z TDI with about 98,000 miles on it. Cost: about $2,000 USD
Why a '96. Because it was available...and because A3/B4 TDIs (up to early 1999 I believe) have bolt holes in the block that allow the motor mounts from an A1 to bolt on with no modification of the A1 engine bay motor mount positions.
I strongly recommend buying a whole donor car as I have scavenged many parts from the Passat during the swap.
I parked both cars side by side on my lower landing and pulled the engine and wiring harness out of the A1 first. I cleaned the engine bay with Castrol Super Clean (works very well), taped off areas I didn't want painted, and sprayed the engine bay with Dynashield sound deadener (a Dynamat product), and then covered the Dynashield with spraypaint. Bentley manual provides tips for A1 engine removal.
Then I removed the TDI. The Passat front end essentially unbolts and you can pull the motor right out of the front without lifting it much. Much much easier than pulling the A1 motor.
Removed the TDI engine wiring harness including the drive-by-wire and OBDII. This involved taking apart portions of the Passat dash. Interestingly, to get the dash off (without breaking it) you have to start in the back seat and remove the screws on the back side of the center console first, then the center console, the central dash cover, and so forth until you finally get to the driver's side dash coverings. Not really difficult, just didn't really want to remove all the pieces to get to the wires I needed.
My advice: take the time to remove all wires without cutting them. You might need them later....!!!!!
I then sent the A1 and TDI wiring harnesses to David Marshal (www.fastforward.ca). He put them together and made it easy for me to put the TDI/A1 harness into my rabbit. Cost: about $450 USD.
Important update: Some 96 Passats (like mine) run an auxilliary fuel injection right into the exhaust pipe, and have two (yes 2) exhaust temperature sensors, one on either side of the catalytic converter. The fuel injection "warmed up" the catalytic converter, making it more efficient a lower engine operating temperatures. The ECU from these cars will not work properly without the injector and both temperature sensors in place. I cut these off my Passat harness thinking I would not need them, and now I will be buying a new (used) GQ ECU (028 906 021) that is supposed to be the 96 Passat ECU minus the auxilliary fuel injection controls.
Subtotal costs (not including beer): $2,450 USD + new ECU
The Next Step: Mount the TDI
Search Key Words: A1 Rabbit TDI Engine Swap
Modified by CrewCabCaddy at 7:18 PM 3-30-2004
Modified by CrewCabCaddy at 9:42 PM 4-5-2004