VWVortex.com - Best way to clean MAF
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean MAF

1. 06-14-2004 01:27 PM #1
      What is the best way to clean the MAF sensor? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      78 diesel rabit, 78 Audi Fox
      06-14-2004 02:47 PM #2
      Your car is too new, take that thing to the dealer. Mine goes in to Roseville next time I get a code.

4. 06-14-2004 02:57 PM #3
      Take the sensor off the housing and put it in a ziplock bag with some 91% rubbing alcohol. Move the bag around to get the alcohol to clean the sensor and then take the sensor out and let it dry fully before you reinstall it into the MAF housing.

06-14-2004 03:20 PM #4
      Goode Ole Isopropal baby!!!
      I whole heartedly agree [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

6. 06-14-2004 04:42 PM #5
      Get the MAF cleaner from the dealer......it worked great and helped get some of my lost gas mileage back. It's NEVER to soon for maintenance and the dealer will most likely have you pay for it unless there is a CEL.

7. 06-15-2004 11:09 AM #6
      Quote, originally posted by RABIDRABBIT1983 »
      Get the MAF cleaner from the dealer......it worked great and helped get some of my lost gas mileage back. It's NEVER to soon for maintenance and the dealer will most likely have you pay for it unless there is a CEL.

Got a part #? [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

8. 06-15-2004 02:14 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by Zoso »
      Your car is too new, take that thing to the dealer. Mine goes in to Roseville next time I get a code.

One look at my car/in the engine bay and they will laugh in my face. That is just the price you pay for modding the car and I understood that before I started. Im not going to piss and bitch. If a part breaks because of mods I have done, I dont expect the dealership to foot the bill. If a part breaks simply because it is fault that is a different story. I guess this is a situation that kind of falls into both catagories, but hey, what you are you going to do?
      I will try the alcohol. Anyone have any more info on the dealer MAF cleaner?

Vehicles
      2006 MkV GTi
      06-15-2004 02:28 PM #8
      heres some pictures for the how-to:
      MAF sensor cleaning:
      What do you need:
      1 Gallon sized Ziploc bag
      1 Can of Denatured or Isopropyl alcohol (available at any Lowes or Home Depot by the paint thinner)
      1 Dirty MAF
      2 Hands
      : Be very careful not to get any of the alcohol on your skin or in your eyes and always perform in a well ventilated area.

Procedure:
      Take the large Ziploc bag and place the MAF sensor in it.
      Pour enough Isopropyl alcohol or Denatured alcohol into the bag to completely cover the MAF sensor. Gently shake the bag to allow the alcohol to pass through the sensor.

Take the MAF sensor out and let the excess alcohol drip off. Set the MAF sensor down on a paper towel to drip/air dry. You may want to use the compressed air spray to blow dry parts such as the connector port. Allow the MAF sensor to dry completely before reinstalling it in the car. This will take between 1-12 hours. Reinstall.
      UroTuning - OEM and Performance Parts Store - www.urotuning.com

FixxFest #10 - Nov. 23rd, 2013 - THE Biggest EURO event in Florida - www.fixxfest.com

06-15-2004 03:01 PM #9
      Well, I tried the Alchohol way and my sensor was way too oily to get clean. I just switched from the factory paper filter to a K&N. (Yes, the MAF was pretty clean before the K&N.)
      Since, I might have to replace it anyways. I went outside of the norm and used Orange Cleaner/De-greaser from my local Home Depot! I even used an old toothbrush to clean the air straightener. However, I did not use the toothbrush on the sensor.
      The orange cleaner was used full strength directly on the sensor. Then I soaked it for about 45 mins in the cleaner. I rinsed the whole thing in tap water! I blew out as much water as I could and soaked the entire sensor in Alcohol for about 15 mins. Finally, I let everything dry.
      That was 5000+ miles ago. Sensor works just fine. Your results may vary.

11. 06-15-2004 03:43 PM #10
      If it's to oily like you are saying you can try using STP car cleaner
      it will get the oil out

12. 06-16-2004 02:03 PM #11
      Wont all these liquids screw with the electronics of the sensor or the sensor connectors?

13. 06-16-2004 02:13 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by boostinvwgti »
      Wont all these liquids screw with the electronics of the sensor or the sensor connectors?

nah all that crap is in an epoxy resin and protected from the elements.
      all that you are cleaning is the heated wire part of it all

14. 06-16-2004 09:04 PM #13
      I might have to give this a shot b4 buying a new one. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

15. 06-16-2004 09:09 PM #14
      if you cant get denatured alcohol, use the highest % alcohol you can get.
      its better to spend 5$ on cleaning it than to get a new MAF. i dunno for the newer cars, but the MAFs for the AWD are cheap - we can use the 2.0l MAFs

16. 06-16-2004 10:06 PM #15
      i'll try to get you the p/n when i go home i have a case of the stuff.

17. 06-17-2004 02:05 AM #16
      AWPs cant use the 2.0 MAF. We have to use the $300 MAF. It is the part number that ends with a L.

18. 06-17-2004 11:03 AM #17
      AWPs cant use the 2.0 MAF. We have to use the $300 MAF. It is the part number that ends with a L.

not 100% correct, it works sometimes...

Vehicles
      2014 TDI Sportwagen, Reflex Silver
      06-17-2004 12:39 PM #18
      Nice reply w/ the pics. Even though it is an easy process it is nice to see pics.

20. 06-20-2004 03:35 PM #19
      Really nice write up. My fuel mileage has gone way down and it's not the O2 sensor or sparkplugs.
      My car is 4 years old with 71K miles. Should I try cleaning it or is it just time to replace it?
      Thanks!

21. 06-20-2004 10:26 PM #20
      bump

22. 06-20-2004 11:25 PM #21
      you can just yank the sensor out if you have the tamper proof torx set and spray it with contact cleaner (electrical section/home depot). seems to work as well as soaking in alcohol and only takes a fraction of the time.
      MK4 Junker : PAG 50trim Kit : AEB : RMR : Eurodyne
      P.P.T. - Pag Parts Turbo
      B6 A4 : Slow

23. 06-21-2004 03:13 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by screwball »
      you can just yank the sensor out if you have the tamper proof torx set and spray it with contact cleaner (electrical section/home depot). seems to work as well as soaking in alcohol and only takes a fraction of the time.

I was pissed when I saw those stupid things. Would have made things a lot easier if I had to tool or if they were normal torx screws.
      Cleaned the MAF and the car runs better, but still not 100%.

24. 06-21-2004 09:33 AM #23
      I noticed my performance was a bit down and I removed the torx this weekend.
      Pulled the actual sensor out and swished it in rubbing alcohol.
      Car performance improved and idle stabilized.
      I think it's probably worth while to do this once a month. Maybe while your waiting for the wax to dry on your car!

25. 06-21-2004 04:15 PM #24
      Where did you get the special torx bit from? It should be some kind of security bit that looks like a torx bit, but it needs to have a hole in the middle.

26. 06-21-2004 04:21 PM #25
      Where did you get the special torx bit from? It should be some kind of security bit that looks like a torx bit, but it needs to have a hole in the middle.

if you don't have the special bit try a pair of vice grips on the sides of the screws, works just fine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast