VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

A2 VR6 FAQ

1M views 6K replies 543 participants last post by  WreckIt_Renny 
#1 ·
Please note I did not compile this list. Thanks go to Joe for making the list and he is probably a safer bet then me if you have questions
Please let me know if I missed anything or something is wrong -- Joe
**Passat parts refer to B3/B4 Platform cars unless noted otherwise**
From the front:
Front Cross members (motor mount half):
a)VR6 Corrado
b)16V Passat *cannot use 2 piece aftermarket lower mount (ie T2s)
c)VR6 Passat
Front Cross members (radiator half):
a)A2 original *works for A2 radiator
b)VR6 Corrado *works for G60/VR6 Corrado Radiator
c)VR6 Passat *works for an A3 radiator but will need modifications
d)16V Passat *works best for an A3 radiator setup
K-frame and A-arms:
a)Corrado VR6
b)A3 VR6 *plus suspension extra 1" wide on each side
c)A3 2.0L *will need VR6 mount for rear
A-arms:
All can be used A2/A3/Corrado
**must match tie rods and axles with A-arms used
Steering rack:
All can be used A2/A3/Corrado/Passat
**must match tie rods to A-arms used
Spindles:
All can be used A2/A3/Corrado/Passat
** must match struts to spindles (there are different widths)
Axles:
*driveshaft choice is dependent on which control arm / hub assembly is used, axle length and splines are different from 4 lug to 5 lug
a)any A2 100mm *4 lug
b)corrado G60 *4 lug
c)A3 2.0L *4 lug
d)A3 VR6 *5 lug
e)Corrado VR6 *5 lug
Brake Booster Bracket:
a)Corrado VR6 NON-abs *will work with any non abs A2 booster or ANY A3 booster
b)Corrado G60 NON-abs *will work with any non abs A2 booster or ANY A3 booster
c)Passat 16V NON-abs *will work with any non abs A2 booster or ANY A3 booster
d)Corrado ABS *will only work with Corrado or Passat ABS Units
d)Passat ABS *will only work with Corrado or Passat ABS Units
**This bracket is needed to install the hydrolic clutch master cylinder
Brake Booster:
a)All will fit *depends on your choice of abs/non abs and rear drum/disk
b)All NON-ABS boosters will fit on the Corrado/Passat NON-ABS bracket, the A3 boosters both ABS and NON ABS will also fit this bracket as well
**The A3 boosters will need to be modified to work with a corrado pedal cluster
Brake Master Cylinder:
*Should be upgraded to a 22 or 23mm master if using either a rear disk conversion and or larger brakes from a Corrado or A3 VR6
*Match to your application, Corrado parts are a direct fit as well as A3 and Passat, depends on your brake choices
Steering column:
a)A2 column *requires U-joints from A3 to mount to A3 rack
b)Corrado column *requires U-joints from A3 to mount to A3 rack
c)A3 column *needs modification to install properly but can be fitted especially with a dash conversion
d)Passat VR6 *some modifiction needed
Pedal Assembly:
a)Corrado VR6 *direct fit
b)Corrado G60 *direct fit
c)A3 *lots of modification needed but can be done
d)Passat VR6 *direct fit
Clutch master:
a)Corrado VR6 *works with corrado/passat bracket and pedal assembly
b)Corrado G60 *works with corrado/passat bracket and pedal assembly
b)Passat 16V *works with corrado/passat bracket and pedal assembly
c)Passat VR6 *works with corrado/passat bracket and pedal cluster
d)A3 VR6 *works with A3 pedal assembly, can fit corrado assembly with modifications
Heater/AC Box:
a)A2 *direct fit
b)A3 *slight modifications needed but pretty much a direct fit
c)Corrado *direct fit
AC lines:
a)Corrado VR6 lines *clean fit
b)A3 VR6 lines *needs modification but can be used
Power Steering lines:
Should be matched with rack, A2 to A2, Corrado to Corrado and so on
** The corrado VR6 lines are the best fit
Brake lines:
a)A2 *match to rear brakes
b)A3 *direct fit if using A3 booster and rear beam
Rear Beam:
a)A2 *direct fit
b)A3 *direct fit
c)Corrado *direct fit
All can be converted from drum to disk
** remember to add the A3 rear beam if using Plus Suspension in the front**
Gas Tank:
a)A2 *direct fit best to use 16V fuel pump
b)A3 VR6 *best to use A3 straps, direct fit
Fuel lines:
If you swap the A3 fuel tank the A3 lines are also a direct swap
Accel. Cable:
a)Corrado VR6 *dircet fit to corrado pedal cluster, but on an OBD2 engine swap you will need to adjust the bracket on the intake manifold by 1/2" toward the throttle body to have proper throttle responce
b)A3 VR6 *direct fit on A3 pedal cluster but can be used on a corrado pedal cluster with the use of an A3 gas pedal
c)Passat VR6 *with passat pedal cluster
Cable Shifter:
a)A3 VR6
b)Corrado VR6
c)Passat VR6 *longer but can work

Thanks to smokinjoe644 for compiling this list.
In addition Futrell Autowerks has a walk-through of their mk2 golf VR6 build that may be helpful for those attempting a swap.
Futrell Autowerks mk2 VR6 Build
Thanks for hosting that Futrell Autowerks

Modified by Mike@TripleZoom at 6:23 AM 2-5-2009

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (ghostrider)

Quote, originally posted by ghostrider »
ive never seen a 23mm master cylinder on our cars what is that from???

IIRC the ABS master is 23mm. Don't know if it'll bolt up to a regular booster.
BTW you sure plus suspension is 1" wider per side? I thought it was more like 15 or 16mm per side.

Modified by vr6swap at 10:23 PM 8-8-2004

#5 ·
Re: (Tire_Marx)

Quote, originally posted by Tire_Marx »
what clusters can be used, and what do you need to modify to make them work?

* Corrado SLC and Golf/Jetta vr6: A plug-in on the wiring end ( obviously), but requires varying degrees of dash modification to fit.
edit: Golf/Jetta clusters may require some harness mods to get the cluster working. More info courtesy of smokinjoe.
* Early (two-plug CE1) golf/jetta clusters can be modified to work, you will need: One, an adapter harness made from the lower half of the vr6 cluster harness spliced to the two-plug early cluster harness (got all that?) This item can be purchased ready-made from Dean F at Futrell Autowerks.
Two, you will need to drill a small hole in the back cover of the tach module - to access a variable resistor on the module, which will allow you to adjust the tach so's it reads right with the vr6 coil signal.
NOTE: this way can be done pretty cheaply, but be aware you may have a tough time finding a usable early cluster. Also, the tach in my old car read correct at idle, but was about 8 or 900 rpm high by 4K.
Later CE2 clusters can be used if you purchase a tach module from either Futrell or Momentum Motor Parts. Converter boxes take the digital tach signal from the vr6 coil ( couple tenths of a volt) and step it up into a signal the older tach can read. It's a lot easier to find a working CE2 cluster, so you may want to consider spending a little more up front.
You only have a couple options if you're running an OBD2 swap, you can either use the original cluster with a converter box, or cut your dash to accept the vr6 cluster ( or swap in the entire A3 dash).

If you choose to go with the early cluster ( cable-driven speedo) you can use a g60 Corrado speedo cable to run it.

Modified by vr6swap at 5:26 PM 8-14-2004

#8 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (vr6swap)

With my 92 gti vr6 . i have a passat vr6 in my car and my tack worked fine and my gas gauge worked with just the one plug into a mk3 cluster and it also worked for a corrado/passat cluster in my car i know there is a plce for to plugs did i need to plug one in each? What do i need to get the speedo working and the temp gauge? I have a corrado trans in it if that really makes a difference.
Thanks shawn

Modified by 8v92 at 7:37 PM 8-13-2004

#10 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (smokinjoe644)

Quote, originally posted by smokinjoe644 »
vr6swap
If you are using an A3 VR6 cluster with the A3 cluster harness you will need to jump two pins to get it to work... I have to double check with my friend on which ones they are but if you dont you will have no power to the speedo, tach, or fuel gauge

Fair enough, please post up the info when you get it. Does this apply to vr6-into-a3 conversions, using an A3 cluster with a 4-cyl. harness, or both?

#11 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (vr6swap)

Quote, originally posted by vr6swap »

Fair enough, please post up the info when you get it. Does this apply to vr6-into-a3 conversions, using an A3 cluster with a 4-cyl. harness, or both?

No, it only applies to swapping it into mk2s.
You only have to send power to one wire on the cluster if using the mk3 cluster, for 15 power. Then it will be operational.
Theres a bunch of quirks on this page, could use a little revision to prevent confusion/misinformation.

#12 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (Mike@TripleZoom)

hmmm. Some other info you may want to know:
The mk2 CE2 cluster will read correct RPM at idle without a tach converter, but will be inaccurate and cannot be calibrated. The only CE2 one that can be calibrated to close to correct RPM signal are the 89 CE2 cars, ie the wolfsburg jettas.
If you run a mk3 cluster it is wise to also run the mk3 fuel tank so your gauge reads correctly. also helpful is the additional capacity of the mk3 tank, as you will notice your mk2vr tends to suck fuel a little more quickly than your old 8v did.

Front crossmember - the mk2 one can be used, as long as you use a suitable front motor mount, such as the solid aluminum ones.
rear crossmember - anything mk3, corrado. Passat does not work.
If using a mk3 xmember, use the 2.0 rear motor mount equipped with appropriate aftermarket inserts, as it sits lower.
axle length between 4 lug and 5 lug are identical, the outer CV joint is the only difference. the only exception to this again is passat.
B4 passat clutch master bracket is required to use if you
a: decide to use ABS from the B4 donor OR
b: You are using the mk3 pedal cluster and dash. otherwise the brake pedal sits way too high, and there is no reinforcement between the pedalbox and brake booster, only the firewall
Brake booster - if not using the mk3 pedal cluster, do not bother with the mk3 booster. The stock 90 and up mk2 brake booster will work fine with the 22mm master and C/P pedalbox
Clutch master: B4 and mk3 one is the same. If you use the b4 pedals, you can use the mk3 clutch master as well
lets keep it up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#13 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (smokinjoe644)

vr6swap
If you are using an A3 VR6 cluster with the A3 cluster harness you will need to jump two pins to get it to work... I have to double check with my friend on which ones they are but if you dont you will have no power to the speedo, tach, or fuel gauge

i would love to know which ones they are.....i found E2 and D8???? dont know if that's right though. thats all i need to know, thanks.

#14 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (GoldPOS)

Any idea on why my speedo wouldnt work i am running a mk3 cluster in my car with passat wiring i only have the one plug in the back like a corrado or passat cluster would have. I was told to cut the black wire in pin one and run it to a 12v source so i ran it to something i knew worked and it was my fuel pump it that too much voltage for it . And alos i got everything to work on it but my speedo and my temp gauge ? Any help or input ..thanks shawn

#15 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (8v92)

I got a good one. I have spark but no fuel . it is a 1996 engine wire harness and computer out of a working gti. it is in a 1991 gti that originally had a vr in it. I had to replace the harness due to running standalone. car cranks fine and has fuel to the rail becaise of a external relay I wired in ( also due to standalone) but the injectors arent going. while testing grounds to the ecu I have the main #1 and #54 but all the other ground tests the bently telly you to do don't work. I have went over wiring for hrs on end with no problems. Could it be due to the alarm.

#16 ·
Re: A2 VR6 FAQ (turbo12v)

Quote, originally posted by turbo12v »
I got a good one. I have spark but no fuel . it is a 1996 engine wire harness and computer out of a working gti. it is in a 1991 gti that originally had a vr in it. I had to replace the harness due to running standalone. car cranks fine and has fuel to the rail becaise of a external relay I wired in ( also due to standalone) but the injectors arent going. while testing grounds to the ecu I have the main #1 and #54 but all the other ground tests the bently telly you to do don't work. I have went over wiring for hrs on end with no problems. Could it be due to the alarm.

Have you checked for power at the injectors? You might have a broken wire or bad connection in the engine harness, or it might be something simple, like the injectors being stopped-up with varnished gas. A cheap Noid light from Pep Boys is the best way to check for power.

#21 ·
Re: (thehiv)

Here is your cluster wiring solutions. This is for if you use an A3 engine bay harness and cluster and an A2 interior harness.
The jump needs to be made on the interior harness plugs at the fuse box. It is from the one green plug to the other. D8 needs to be jumped to E2. This will give power to the cluster. The D plug is the 12 pin and the E is a 5 pin.
I believe the pins are marked on the plugs but if not they definately are in the Bentley manual.
Use VW Part number 000979133
This is a wire repair kit and is just a single wire with the two female ends that clips right into the empty places in the D/E plugs.

#22 ·
Re: (smokinjoe644)

Ok guys/gals, I have everything I need for the swap (all corrado) minus the ABS/master cylinder stuff I believe. I am using the corrado pedal cluster so what can i use from my A2 if anything as far as the brake booster? ( i am guessing nothing) I want to run ABS on this to keep it normal as possible so will I need the whole anti-lock brake system (page 45.7/8 in the corrado bentley)? I was looking at my corrado today (the working one not the swap) to see what I would need brakes wise and it seems like a lot of stuff to get.

#23 ·
Re: (d-bot)

Installing the ABS system is not hard but as you said it is alot of parts, so it is going to depend on what you have access to, since it is an all or nothing install.
You can use either the corrado or passat abs booster brain setup with the abs bracket from either of them and that will obviously mount directly to your corrado pedal cluster.
You can also use and MK3 abs setup, but you need a corrado or passat NON abs bracket to mount it to the firewall. You will also have to modify the pedal connection since the MK3 has a ball joint.... you can attach any A2 style fork end to the booster to make it work with the corrado pedal. (this involves some work as in measuring,cuttin, tapping, and welding) but it is not hard and I can talk you through it if you go that route.
The wiring is pretty simple, The abs is on its own harness. You will need to make an additional hole in the firewall the same size as the two large ones for the harness. It plugs right into the fuse box if you are using CE2 (not sure about earlier wiring) and it is self contained. Then it is just a matter of the two front sensors which are part of the harness and the leads to the rears... the rears have a disconnect under the back seat.
You probably want to pull the brake hardlines since they are longer and the bends are different at the booster as well. I know that the MK3 lines clip right up to an MK2 and I would assume the Corrado would as well since it is an MK2 body underneath as well.
Lastly you need the brake carriers for abs so that it has the holes for the sensors and the speed rings that they read. Best thing to do is swap the complete brake setup, but if you cant or dont want to you can probably get them onto what you are currently using as the rings are removable.
Hope that helps, if you are taking the parts from an ABS car it has everything you need, nothing special just swap it over. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#24 ·
Re: (smokinjoe644)

Here is your cluster wiring solutions. This is for if you use an A3 engine bay harness and cluster and an A2 interior harness.
The jump needs to be made on the interior harness plugs at the fuse box. It is from the one green plug to the other. D8 needs to be jumped to E2. This will give power to the cluster. The D plug is the 12 pin and the E is a 5 pin.
I believe the pins are marked on the plugs but if not they definately are in the Bentley manual.
Use VW Part number 000979133
This is a wire repair kit and is just a single wire with the two female ends that clips right into the empty places in the D/E plugs.

ok, so i did this and still there is nothing working on my instrument cluster, except for the time and odometer. is there any other power sources i need to check. also, im using a obd1 2L instrument cluster wiring harness, would that make a difference?

#25 ·
Re: (GoldPOS)

You should have had the obometer and clock before you jumped the wires.
I would double check the pins and the connection and if it is correct them it must have something to do with the 2.0L harness. I know that this definately fixes it with a VR harness as I have help others with it and it works every time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.