VWVortex.com - Important service tip for early A1's with fuel pump relay on top of fuse panel
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Important service tip for early A1's with fuel pump relay on top of fuse panel

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      08-29-2004 11:44 AM #1
      Note: The following information is not documented in any of the A1 Bentley service manuals, and you may want to keep this service tip with your Bentley. The wiring diagrams do not show the following VW engineering change to the wiring of the CIS fuel pump relay.
      Back in the late 1970's, VW was having a problem with the melting/burning of Pin A8 in Socket A on the back of the fuse panel with ceramic fuses due to the high current load created by the CIS fuel pump. Pin A8 provided +12VDC via a BLACK/GREEN wire to the fuel pump and to Control Pressure Regulator and to the Auxiliary Air Regulator.
      What VW did to eliminate this design problem with the melting/burning of Pin A8 was to totally remove the internal circuit of L14 (socket L) to pin A8 (socket A) and install a remote fuel pump socket and extension harness with an auxiliary plug that plugged into socket L.
      Voltage from terminal L13 (socket L) is now routed to terminal #2 of the remote fuel pump socket via a large RED wire of the extension wiring harness.
      The voltage output to the CIS fuel pump is now provided by terminal #8 of the remote socket on a large RED/YELLOW wire to a "pigtail" connector with two RED/WHITE wires on one branch and a BLACK/GREEN wire (ie fuel pump wire) on the other branch of the pigtail connector.
      So if your A1 has the remote fuel pump relay socket on the top of the fuse panel, and you want to test the relay by installing a jumper wire to make the fuel pump run, then do the following:
      Only remove the fuel pump relay from the remote socket and keep the extension plug in the Socket L on front of the fuse panel.
      Using a good light, find terminal #2 (large red wire on back of remote socket) and terminal #8 (large red/yellow wire on back of remote socket) on the remote socket.
      Install jumper wire between terminals #2 and #8 of the remote socket. This will provide a direct +12VDC to the CIS fuel pump.

So to bypass the fuel pump relay, just pull the relay from the remote socket and install a jumper wire between terminals #2 and #8 on the remote socket on the top of the fuse panel.
      Thanks to VEExDUB for jogging my memory about this wiring change, and the fact it is not documented anywhere in the Bentley service procedure or wiring diagrams. Cheers, WWR.

WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition
      Harry Puckett R.I.P. 01-24-2010. You are gone too soon. We had races
      to race, jokes to tell, laughter to share, and cold beers to drink.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 08-29-2004 04:20 PM #2
      THANK YOU!!!!
      I have had problems with my relay and my Bentley manual only made things more confusing... I took it into a reputable VW shop and even they were puzzled...
      I need to print this out and staple it to my Bentley!!! [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      VW Fox 16v
      08-29-2004 04:54 PM #3
      I was just about to say that veexdub would love to know about this until i say your thanks at the bottom.
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      84 Rabbit 16V w/ Carbs, 81 Caddy, 2013 Honda CR-V
      08-30-2004 06:56 PM #4
      this puzzled me forever as well

Vehicles
      69 fastback, 91 gti, 06 a3, 84 rabbit diesel
      08-31-2004 09:38 PM #5
      excellent thread.
      i had a fpr going bad on my bunny and played hell finding it. the bently was no help. i fooled with it for a few days untill i eventually pulled the fuse box down to find that external fuel pump relay hiding in a nest of wires.
      i posted here seeking help to find my lost fpr with no results.
      this thread should be copied and printed, then taped to everyones tool box that this applies to.

Vehicles
      92 500e/89 Sub/68 Squire/Buell
      08-31-2004 10:49 PM #6
      Ooooooooh. This is Goooooooood. I actually sat down the last time I worked on a car like this and figure this out, but seeing it in black and white is so much nicer.
      :Runs to printer to pick up printout:
      -Dan

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      09-01-2004 01:32 AM #7
      Having worked so much on the race Wabbit with no factory wiring, I had forgotten about the VW wiring change to the Fuel Pump Relay "relocation" on the older ceramic fuse panels until I was helping VEExDUB with his fuel pump problem.
      Guess I had logged this in my memory many years ago but it slowly came back to me after several IM's with VEExDUB. The retrieve time was slow but the data was still intact.
      I have made an entry in the A1 FAQ thread about this. Cheers, WWR.
      WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition

Vehicles
      92 500e/89 Sub/68 Squire/Buell
      01-14-2005 06:59 PM #8
      Bump, because this is GREAT stuff to know....
      Ask me how I know about the A8 pin....

10. 01-15-2005 01:53 PM #9
      Excellent advice! I'll go you one better: This info is found in John Muir's "keeping your Rabbit alive" book. Even more interesting, it turns out that VW screwed up the wiring on that jumper cable thing and they had to recall. He shows a way to check your wiring, though I doubt there are any out there that have the wrong wiring, as it was only the first year of this "fix" and only a few cars that had the wrong wiring. My '81 cabbie has this fix, but the wiring is correct.
      Thomas

11. 01-17-2005 08:30 PM #10
      can i ask for a clarification? is the afterthought fuel pump relay bracket only present on the late ceramic fuseboxes? i am idly thinking about moving to a newer blade fuse setup, but want to make sure i don't get anything odd. for the writeup, WWR!

Vehicles
      1978 WackyWabbit (sold)
      01-17-2005 09:19 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by chizor »
      can i ask for a clarification? is the afterthought fuel pump relay bracket only present on the late ceramic fuseboxes? i am idly thinking about moving to a newer blade fuse setup, but want to make sure i don't get anything odd.

As far as I know, the remote fuel pump relay bracket was applicable only to the A1 ceramic fuseboxes. The remote bracket was the most economic solution to the A8 pin problem. Regards, WWR.
      WWR
      ▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
      signature edition

13. Banned
      01-17-2005 09:23 PM #12
      speaking of ceramic fuses,does anybody know where to get them?i dont have any spares and the dealler and napa dont have them and i dred the day i need one

Vehicles
      65 sunbeam tiger, 76 Rabbit, 89 cabriolet, 95 s6 avant, 03 mazda protege 5
      01-17-2005 09:56 PM #13
      You can also buy the harness from the dealer here is the part #171-971-761B It is $110 from the dealer Let me know how many you want I have a ton of them 10 cents a peice

Modified by eurotrashrabbit at 9:59 PM 1-17-2005

15. Member
      Vehicles
      91 GTI 8V
      01-17-2005 10:15 PM #14
      This is also documented in 1982 and later editions of Richard Sealy's monumental contribution to the VW community, "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Rabbit Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot", John Muir Press.
      Regards,
      Chia

Vehicles
      01-17-2005 11:52 PM #15
      A great resource

17. 01-18-2005 06:05 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by Chia’s_MkII »
      This is also documented in 1982 and later editions of Richard Sealy's monumental contribution to the VW community, "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Rabbit Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot", John Muir Press.
      Regards,
      Chia

Yes. That's the one I was talking about. My bad. I forgot it was written by Richard Sealy. Excellent book if you can find one. I found one on Ebay for $15. Almost new. The guy was like 20 miles from my house, to boot!
      Thomas

01-30-2005 02:33 PM #17
      Great Info! Although I just had my relay melt even though I have the remote harness? So now I need a new remote harness.
      Anyone got one?
      Thanks

19. 02-02-2005 05:13 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by WackyWabbitRacer »
      Note: The following information is not documented in any of the A1 Bentley service manuals, and you may want to keep this service tip with your Bentley. The wiring diagrams do not show the following VW engineering change to the wiring of the CIS fuel pump relay.
      Back in the late 1970's, VW was having a problem with the melting/burning of Pin A8 in Socket A on the back of the fuse panel with ceramic fuses due to the high current load created by the CIS fuel pump. Pin A8 provided +12VDC via a BLACK/GREEN wire to the fuel pump and to Control Pressure Regulator and to the Auxiliary Air Regulator.
      What VW did to eliminate this design problem with the melting/burning of Pin A8 was to totally remove the internal circuit of L14 (socket L) to pin A8 (socket A) and install a remote fuel pump socket and extension harness with an auxiliary plug that plugged into socket L.
      Voltage from terminal L13 (socket L) is now routed to terminal #2 of the remote fuel pump socket via a large RED wire of the extension wiring harness.
      The voltage output to the CIS fuel pump is now provided by terminal #8 of the remote socket on a large RED/YELLOW wire to a "pigtail" connector with two RED/WHITE wires on one branch and a BLACK/GREEN wire (ie fuel pump wire) on the other branch of the pigtail connector.
      So if your A1 has the remote fuel pump relay socket on the top of the fuse panel, and you want to test the relay by installing a jumper wire to make the fuel pump run, then do the following:
      Only remove the fuel pump relay from the remote socket and keep the extension plug in the Socket L on front of the fuse panel.
      Using a good light, find terminal #2 (large red wire on back of remote socket) and terminal #8 (large red/yellow wire on back of remote socket) on the remote socket.
      Install jumper wire between terminals #2 and #8 of the remote socket. This will provide a direct +12VDC to the CIS fuel pump.

So to bypass the fuel pump relay, just pull the relay from the remote socket and install a jumper wire between terminals #2 and #8 on the remote socket on the top of the fuse panel.
      Thanks to VEExDUB for jogging my memory about this wiring change, and the fact it is not documented anywhere in the Bentley service procedure or wiring diagrams. Cheers, WWR.

FWIW my '81 cabby has the remote relay position and the jumper wires.
      Thomas

Vehicles
      Many
      02-02-2005 05:41 PM #19
      LOL!! I had saved WWR's post about this to my VWV notebook last year and was in the middle of updating it and moving it to a new folder just a few minutes ago when I saw someone had posted to the original thread. Was a little confused for a minute, thinking I had stepped back about 6 months.
      Rob | A6 | GTI | Tiguan | JSW | Cabrio | Rabbit |

Vehicles
      02-19-2005 09:46 PM #20
      Just won an auction on an NOS harness on Ebay. Those things are $100 new form the dealer.

Modified by eurotrashrabbit at 9:47 PM 2-19-2005

Modified by eurotrashrabbit at 9:55 PM 2-19-2005

02-19-2005 10:10 PM #21
      Dang. I wish I saw that. I just got the plastic relay holder from the dealer and fixed the one melted wire end.

Vehicles
      02-19-2005 10:12 PM #22
      That is why I posted after I won the auction $26.01

02-19-2005 10:17 PM #23
      haha.... good job!

Vehicles
      02-26-2005 10:48 AM #24
      Here is a better pic of the updated harness

02-26-2005 03:28 PM #25
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast