VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

NEEDED! Quickest Intake manifold removal Procedure on VR6! (valve cover gasket access)

12K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  01greengti 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any info on the quickest way to get the intake manifold off a VR6 so you can get access to the valve cover? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: NEEDED! Quickest Intake manifold removal Procedure on VR6! (volksdubs)

How fast can you turn a wrench? Just take off the bolts for the upper intake, the throttle cable bracket and the air intake tube. The whole assembly should swing up toward the windshield. Ought to take 15-20 minutes.
Jeff

#3 ·
Re: NEEDED! Quickest Intake manifold removal Procedure on VR6! (jpete)

the time you are waiting for a reply is the same amount of time it would take you to take off the manifold and put it back on if you don't have a bentley and have no clue how to do it. lol.
i did it in about 30min to an hour, taking it off, and i didn't have a manuel.

#4 ·
Re: NEEDED! Quickest Intake manifold removal Procedure on VR6! (volksdubs)

Quote, originally posted by jpete »
How fast can you turn a wrench? Just take off the bolts for the upper intake, the throttle cable bracket and the air intake tube. The whole assembly should swing up toward the windshield. Ought to take 15-20 minutes.

LOL. Right...looks that quick on paper. But you will always have one bolt or nut that refuses to budge. I just did this last night...here's what I removed. I also completely removed the intake, so I did other things not listed here. I'm removing cams, so others bolts had to be removed.
To just move the intake out of the way:
1. Remove plug wires
2. Remove wire guides and cover.
3. Unclip throttle cable from TB.
4. Disconnect PCV, TPS, ISV, and EGR connectors.
5. Remove vacuum lines from EGR and Intake boot.
6. Disconnect damper from intake boot.
7. Unbolt both supporting brackets on back of valve cover/manifold.
8. Unbolt EGR tube from Intake manifold. (Here's were you might have issues)
9. Disconnect FPR vacuum line from intake manifold.
10. Disconnect valve vacuum line from manifold.
11. Remove bolts holding upper intake manifold to lower manifold.
To get to the valve cover gasket:
1. Remove EGR valve (Your biggest hurdle by far). Things rust, they are never fun.
2. Remove all the valve cover nuts.
3. Disconnect fuel lines. (Makes it easier to get to things)
Again, you'll need to remove other things if you want to completey remove the intake manifold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.