Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to ask for help!

Vehicles
      89 Cabby, 87 Cabby, 85 Cabby, 90 Jetta, 83 GTI
      01-19-2005 08:46 AM #1
      Edit: It's summer time and the requests for help are starting up as the weather outside gets better. To help us help you here's an older post I'm reviving!

The word has gotten around that this is a very helpful forum, filled with sharing, knowledgeable contributors. As such, we're seeing an influx of newcomers that are needing and asking for help. Welcome! This is a great forum and a friendly place to be. But a word of advice....

If you need help with your car/engine/suspension/heater etc. we'd be better able to help you if you if you thoroughly described the problem. Let's look at an example.

"My car has trouble starting when it's cold" That sounds typical but here's the right way to state it.
      "My car won't start when it's cold. It won't crank. The starter clicks. The voltmeter says it has 12volts. "
      From this I can tell you to check your cables and I'll probably would be right and you'd be happy. The first post though would result in many guesses of anything from ignition to fuel system to bad key switches etc.
      Don't post a problem without first thinking thru every symptom you can remember. Did the starter turn over? If so did the engine ever "catch" even for a second? Did it start then die? Did you hear the fuel pump running?

No one wants to play 20 questions just to figure out what your problem is in the first place. We're looking forward to helping you solve the problem. Don't make us figure out what it is. That's a waste of our and your valuable time.
      And a few more things. Let us know if you have the Bentley manual. If we know you do we can point out exactly where to find the correct procedure. Otherwise, we're wasting our breath suggesting that.

Have you put your city and state in your profile? If you do we can maybe refer you to a local Vortexer or shop in your area. Ditto on making sure you tell us what car you have. "Cabby" isn't enough, is it CIS or Digifant? What year? Mk1 or Mk3? If you don't know these things that's ok just tell us what year and we'll figure it out. Stock engine or a transplanted 16V 2.0?

And finally if you post here for help please monitor the post regularly (use the email notification feature!) and respond to everyone's suggestions. Let us know you didn't die in the meantime. Thank us for the help even if it didn't solve your problem .

There are alot of peeps here with years of experience willing to help if you'll help us. Make it difficult and we'll probably ignore the post. Many of us use our work time to reply to these posts. Don't make us regret it.
      End of my rant.

One more item, please use paragraph breaks to break up your post so it's readable. Seems rambling on isn't very readable for most of us.
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Modified by Moljinar at 12:45 PM 11-29-2007
      Last edited by Moljinar; 06-23-2015 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Readability

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      01-19-2005 09:03 AM #2
      [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett, BRZlord

4. 01-19-2005 09:48 AM #3
      Um my car won't get me to the store? How do I fix it?......Come on guys, I really need help, it just won't get me there....help

Seriously tho, that's a good writeup,.,,,Can we get that added to the FAQ's?

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      01-19-2005 09:49 AM #4
      I was about to say that to some of the newcomers. We do need more info in order to help but I would also like to ask from a few newbies to be more polite when it comes to their first questions.
      Some of them simply take it for granted that we are going to help them. No "please", no "hi to all", no introduction. Its not like we have a day job posting in this forum but I would personally like to know that people come here not only when they need help but when they want to spend some time chatting to people about many different things.
      Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com

Vehicles
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      01-19-2005 12:28 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Moljinar »
      No one wants to play 20 questions just to figure out what your problem is in the first place.

Moljinar, it's all about the post count on the Tex, so the more quesion posts we have to ask the better!!
      Seriously, good write-up! It's no different than taking your car into a shop. The mechanic needs (not wants, needs) to know ALL the symptoms in order to begin diagnosing the problem; same goes for forums and it's even more important 'cuz the car isn't sitting in front of us.
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

7. 01-19-2005 12:36 PM #6
      Excellent write-up, dude! Cheers!
      Thomas

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '81 Trek
      01-20-2005 01:39 AM #7
      Quote, originally posted by kamzcab86 »
      Moljinar, it's all about the post count on the Tex, so the more quesion posts we have to ask the better!!
      Seriously, good write-up! It's no different than taking your car into a shop. The mechanic needs (not wants, needs) to know ALL the symptoms in order to begin diagnosing the problem; same goes for forums and it's even more important 'cuz the car isn't sitting in front of us.

Posting questions here is a little different than going to a shop.
      Yes indeed, the shop tech Needs to know all the symptoms.
      You don't get to talk to the tech at the shop though, she/he is too busy and doesn't have the patience to play 20 questions before he can get to work. They pay someone else to do that, the Service Adviser, usually someone far more diplomatic than a tech, also usually far less technically knowledgeable.
      So most Repair shops need at least two people to serve your needs, of course there are usually more, depending on the size of the shop. Umm, uhh, ya think maybe all those people making a living off of your car repair bill might raise the overhead and labor charges a bit??
      I have a day job. I don't get paid for my time on the 'tex. Give me clues, lotsa lotsa clues please.
      So, get wordy, be articulate, Get Bentley!!
      Ron
      Quote Originally Posted by kamzcab86
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."
      ____(hey, it's VW AND it's electrical, what's not to fail?) neoBentley+

Palatine, IL. But I'll NEVER call Chicagoland home.
      Vehicles
      2013 TDI Sportwagen, 81 Rabbit Convertible, 92 Cabby (Daughter's), 98 SUV, 2011 Legacy
      01-20-2005 10:38 AM #8
      hey, rs4-380 (moderator)
      How about making the original post a sticky on top [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      And for the new guys asking for help- stick around after your question is answered, half of the fun of owning these cars is the people you meet.
      Steve
      Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '81 Trek
      01-20-2005 12:38 PM #9
      Naw, don't sticky it yet.
      I'd like to see a locked, stickied thread on this topic, but it needs a bit of refinement first.
      Ron
      I hate reading: "But I bought this car for $500 and don't want to put another dime into it."

Vehicles
      01-20-2005 12:45 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by tolusina »
      Posting questions here is a little different than going to a shop.
      Yes indeed, the shop tech Needs to know all the symptoms.
      You don't get to talk to the tech at the shop though, she/he is too busy and doesn't have the patience to play 20 questions before he can get to work. They pay someone else to do that, the Service Adviser, usually someone far more diplomatic than a tech, also usually far less technically knowledgeable.
      So most Repair shops need at least two people to serve your needs, of course there are usually more, depending on the size of the shop.

The service advisor is there to write down all the symptoms for the tech. The more s/he writes down the less time your car may be in shop. When you're paying a minimun of $90/hour in labor (dealer cost, even if it takes 'em 5 minutes to diagnose via computer you still pay for an hour [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] ), you better believe I walk in there with a list of symptoms.*
      Same goes here. The more symptoms you describe to us, the faster/better solutions can be posted.
      *Last time Cabby went to a dealer, I told the service advisor that the last time this happened it was X that was the problem. Three days later, guess what the problem was that was checked last (car was there for other things as well, but still... do I look like a chick that knows nothing about her car?!).
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

12. 01-20-2005 02:16 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by kamzcab86 »
      The service advisor is there to write down all the symptoms for the tech. The more s/he writes down the less time your car may be in shop. When you're paying a minimun of $90/hour in labor (dealer cost, even if it takes 'em 5 minutes to diagnose via computer you still pay for an hour [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG] ), you better believe I walk in there with a list of symptoms.*
      Same goes here. The more symptoms you describe to us, the faster/better solutions can be posted.
      *Last time Cabby went to a dealer, I told the service advisor that the last time this happened it was X that was the problem. Three days later, guess what the problem was that was checked last (car was there for other things as well, but still... do I look like a chick that knows nothing about her car?!).

Guess I'm lucky/unlucky. The dealers here will charge for 1/2 hour increments (for diagnosis and easy jobs), but they also charge $120-$150 for labor.
      Thomas

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '81 Trek
      01-23-2005 10:35 PM #12
      Here is a great example of how to ask for and get help. [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...94016
      Maris included enough information to indicate effort had been made to learn and troubleshoot as far ability allowed.
      A detailed reply followed, that in turn was followed by an appreciative response indicating the explanation had been read and fairly well understood.
      This acknowledgment is really appreciated. Even If I was getting paid for tech support, "Thanks" would still go a long way.

Vehicles
      01 TT Quattro
      01-23-2005 10:45 PM #13
      Im diggin this! Props..
      04 GLI 6MT - Gonzo Stg2, ST coilovers, 18x8/18x9 SSR staggers, FMIC, R1 DV, R8 COPs, and some other crap.
      01 TT Quattro - Denim Blue - 175k - 5 speeder - ST Coilovers
      14 CC R-Line 6 speed - Dark Blue Met. - 7200mi - stocker (hers)
      01 Ram 2500 CTD - Meaner than the average bear

15. 02-21-2005 01:35 AM #14
      Guys, I see this thread is a kind of forgotten - I would suggest for Moljinar to create a new thread (because this thread a kind of contains some discussion that is good, but unnecessary for a "guide") and fill it up with similar text to that at the top of this thread (minor changes of his choice, based on feedback - have full confidence in Moljinar that he'll find the right wording), and then (or maybe even before) we push the moderator and vortex in general that that thread is sticky!!!

Vehicles
      02-21-2005 10:58 AM #15
      I'm home sick today. I'll see what I can do.

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '81 Trek
      04-17-2006 08:03 PM #16
      TTT
      What happened to the joke beggar's post?

Modified by tolusina at 9:17 PM 4-24-2006

Vehicles
      2007 FJ Cruiser, 1993 Ford SHO
      04-17-2006 08:20 PM #17
      Many of us use our work time to reply to these posts. Don't make us regret it.

Heh.... [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Vehicles
      04-24-2006 03:11 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by Cab42 »
      Guys, I see this thread is a kind of forgotten - I would suggest for Moljinar to create a new thread (because this thread a kind of contains some discussion that is good, but unnecessary for a "guide") and fill it up with similar text to that at the top of this thread (minor changes of his choice, based on feedback - have full confidence in Moljinar that he'll find the right wording), and then (or maybe even before) we push the moderator and vortex in general that that thread is sticky!!!

Well actually I did redo this and it got viewed as a duplicate post and was black holed before I could even ask for a sticky. So maybe we can do it again?

Vehicles
      '89 Cabby ABA/16vT, '89 Cabby, '94 E420 (RIP), '05 C55
      04-24-2006 03:17 PM #19
      Good advice [IMG]http://*****************.com/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] Thank you for vocalizing what we've all been thinking.

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A6 avant (last of the C4's)
      04-24-2006 03:25 PM #20
      Beautiful...love it
      Change is inevitable......progress is optional

22. 04-24-2006 09:17 PM #21
      I like playing 20 questions
      and I really love it when we can
      get the owner of the trouble
      to take photos and talk stuff out.
      it's nice to see people post up
      well thought posts/questions
      but I just wanna see more pics
      the tex is about post count and pics.

Palatine, IL. But I'll NEVER call Chicagoland home.
      Vehicles
      2013 TDI Sportwagen, 81 Rabbit Convertible, 92 Cabby (Daughter's), 98 SUV, 2011 Legacy
      04-24-2006 10:44 PM #22
      Since this is back up let me add my $.02
      If what we tell you fixed the problem then post the results. Nothing worse than spending hours trying to help someone then they just go away without letting us know what fixed it.
      Enjoy every sandwich - Warren Zevon

Vehicles
      1989 Cabriolet
      04-24-2006 10:53 PM #23
      Quote, originally posted by sehaare »
      If what we tell you fixed the problem then post the results. Nothing worse than spending hours trying to help someone then they just go away without letting us know what fixed it.

Say it loud. This follow up is quite important because if the suggestions offered didn't fix the problem, then you might have valuable lessons for the rest of the community.

Vehicles
      07-24-2006 01:42 PM #24
      Made one more addition. Please break up your post into several paragraphs. It makes it oh so much easier to read. Important details we need sometimes get lost in the clutter.
      That is all.

Vehicles
      07-24-2006 01:48 PM #25
      Made one more addition. Please break up your post into several paragraphs. It makes it oh so much easier to read. Important details we need sometimes get lost in the clutter.
      That is all.

If it's going to be one paragraph, use punctuation. I don't bother reading lengthy "help me" posts anymore that contain little or no punctuation because it's too tedious to decipher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast